PDA

View Full Version : inexpensive flintlock kit?

troy_mclure
09-30-2009, 04:20 AM
im looking for an inexpensive flintlock rifle kit.

im not gonna hunt with it, just punch paper a few times a year. im mostly interested in "building" it.

i have seen a few $200 flintlocks on gunbroker, i suppose i could tear one down, and "rebuild" it.

JeffinNZ
09-30-2009, 04:25 AM
I have bad news for you. If you want a decent flinter you have to spend money especially on the lock. Cheap flinters are rubbish and will put you right off.

oldhickory
09-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Jeff's right, in the world of flintlocks you get what you pay for. Anything worth shooting will probably run you $700.00 and up to build yourself.

richbug
09-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Jeff's right, in the world of flintlocks you get what you pay for. Anything worth shooting will probably run you $700.00 and up to build yourself.

Track of the wolf has some that you can get into for about $500, but I wouldn't really call them a kit. They are more like a collection of parts that can be built into a rifle if you have enough skill.

I have been working on one of their Dickert kits for about a year, just do one step then walk away for a few days... maybe by Christmas.

The Lyman kits are about as cheap of a gun as I would want to own.

Potsy
09-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Tip Curtis, Cross Plains TN, tipcurtis@bellsouth.net
Start saving your money and you can either build something you'll be proud of or you can buy something he built to enjoy.
Be aware that kits from Tip, Track, Chambers, etc. do require a little woodwork and if you've never fooled with it, also be aware that maple is the hardest substance known to man.
I'm working on my first one and I've enjoyed it thus far.

jim4065
09-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Tip Curtis, Cross Plains TN, tipcurtis@bellsouth.net
............Be aware that kits from Tip, Track, Chambers, etc. do require a little woodwork and if you've never fooled with it, also be aware that maple is the hardest substance known to man.............

Try Pau Ferro, Ebony, or even Bubinga. :roll:

John Taylor
09-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Dixie gun works has quite a few flint kits listed. Most are $500+

northmn
09-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Price is one of the problems with getting a good flintlock, but as a builder I have to agree with the others. A good flintlock (just the lock) alone for building is now running about $130. I could put one together for about $300, but I doubt if you have my experience. That would be buying lock, stock and barrel and making other parts. The kits are better.

Northmn

frontier gander
09-30-2009, 12:59 PM
find you an older cva on gunbroker. There are some like new hawkens in 50 or 54 for around your price + a bit more.

stubshaft
09-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Having a flinter with a cheap lock is a nightmare. It will cause more problems then you can imagine and unfortunately may make you decide against ever shooting one again. I say this because I have 2 italian made flinchlocks in my closet that were given to me by acquaintances who swore off rock locks. Their mainsprings are weak and the frizzens are improperly hardened. Do yourself a favor and if possible save up for a quality used flinter or a kit with a good lock (Siler, Durs Egg etc.)

scrapcan
09-30-2009, 05:20 PM
I agree with all of the above as I am one of those that "swore off of rock locks", that is a nice quote stubshaft.

I messed with a lyman for what seemed like an eternity before three of us got it to be reliable enough to hunt deer with. I shot a deer and took it back to it's rigthful owner who promptly put it back in the closet.

I had about $200 in it getting it to be reliable, that was in 1994.

And one last statement, Use good flints and the proper powder.

Lead Fred
09-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Jim Chamber's flintlock kits are the best

MLS Muzzleloaders Supply out of Ozark AR

will save you a little money

You still gonna be around $500, Check with the gals at MLS for any deals.

They both are on the web

jim4065
09-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Ozark, Alaska?

Edit: Nope - I think you meant Ozone, AR.

troy_mclure
10-01-2009, 12:01 AM
so what you guys are saying is that the cheaper ones aren't worth the bother/money?

stubshaft
10-01-2009, 01:03 AM
Yup!

Been down that road and found that for a little more money you can get something ALOT better.

frontier gander
10-01-2009, 01:33 AM
ive owned all 3, lyman, cva and traditions. All of them had excellent sparking frizzens and reliable locks. My nightmare was finding good flints. Im now using flints from a gentleman by the name of rich pierce, his missouri flints are just downright awesome and throw a hot spark. $10 for a dozen is also a heck of a deal.

Some movies,

I used a tom fuller flint on this one but have stopped using them due to them either breaking after a dozen hits or due to them not sparking at all. I hate not being able to pick out my own flints.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZA7ZnUeguY

Heres the rifle firing with a Pierce flint at the NRA. Instant ignition. My bro in law is a wuss. It was only 110gr 3f goex with .490 round ball.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZISW2DF6Ga0

Maven
10-01-2009, 10:29 AM
I've been reading this thread with interest, especially since I wouldn't mind owning another flintlock (finished, as I don't have the skills to build one). I've also been reading about the rifles Frontier Gander mentioned on the Modern Muzzle Loaders forum > Sidelocks. He's right, those brands are uncommonly accurate and reliable, suffering on occasion only from poorly hardened frizzens or the need to reharden the frizzen and perhaps the need to polish the inside surface of the lock plate. As for flints, you may want to get in touch with Rich Pierce, who offers an excellent product: rpierce@im.wustl.edu

waksupi
10-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Cheap flintlocks are a frustrating exercise. Many do suffer from soft frizzens, and poor lock geometry.
It is common to have to klatch a cheap lock a half dozen times, before you can pile up enough sparks to set off the priming!

waksupi
10-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Jim Chamber's flintlock kits are the best

MLS Muzzleloaders Supply out of Ozark AK

will save you a little money

You still gonna be around $500, Check with the gals at MLS for any deals.

They both are on the web

I can't seem to find MLS Muzzleloaders Supply out of Ozark AK. Got a link?

frontier gander
10-01-2009, 01:39 PM
a soft frizzen can easily be fixed. I never had any problems with a cva, traditions or lyman lock. A crap flint IMO is the main cause to a first flintlocker.

jim4065
10-01-2009, 03:03 PM
ive owned all 3, lyman, cva and traditions. All of them had excellent sparking frizzens and reliable locks. My nightmare was finding good flints. Im now using flints from a gentleman by the name of rich pierce, his missouri flints are just downright awesome and throw a hot spark. $10 for a dozen is also a heck of a deal.

Some movies,

I used a tom fuller flint on this one but have stopped using them due to them either breaking after a dozen hits or due to them not sparking at all. I hate not being able to pick out my own flints.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZA7ZnUeguY

Heres the rifle firing with a Pierce flint at the NRA. Instant ignition. My bro in law is a wuss. It was only 110gr 3f goex with .490 round ball.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZISW2DF6Ga0

Good videos. You're right - but tell him to put two hands on the gun next time. Incidentally - I've never used a pan priming flask. Are they worth fooling with?

Maven
10-01-2009, 03:49 PM
"I've never used a pan priming flask. Are they worth fooling with?"

jim....,

My well-used Dixie Tenn. Mtn. rifle came with a pan charger such as the one pictured in the 2nd video, but I don't find it reliable. Instead, I use an old .30-06 case + a j-word bullet as a stopper to prime the pan. (I have a small funnel to refill it, but haven't needed to do so at a range session.) Any similar cartridge will work and it is significantly more convenient to use than the pan charger + you can't beat the price or the simplicty.

frontier gander
10-01-2009, 04:57 PM
i really like the pan primer flask i have. Its reliable, holds plenty of charge for a day at the range. I did make another out of an elk antler ( super sized!!) but i ended up turning it into a handle for my knife. I just like the small compact pan primer.

JeffinNZ
10-01-2009, 05:41 PM
FRONTIER: You're problem is not the Tom Fuller flints. It's the locks.

frontier gander
10-01-2009, 05:50 PM
the tom fuller flints are to thick, once i have to knap them they get to that thick chunk spot and just round off. Im getting close to 70 shots per flint with the Pierce flints.

Lead Fred
10-01-2009, 06:26 PM
www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com

Its Arkansas not Alaska

Calling them or ordering the catalog is better than thier online shopping

Patricia Bicio
Address: 3810 Cty. Rte. 5500
City: Ozone
State: Arkansas

ZIP: 72854
Phone: 479-292-8866
County: Johnson
Manufacturing Firm: Muzzleloader Builders Supply

jim4065
10-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Used to do business with a company called Warren Muzzleloading up there. In fact - they sold me 200 lbs of pure lead at a very good price - and sold my nephew a 32 cal Crockett rifle at a good price. Wonder if it's the same people? Their cast round balls had no sprue - maybe they ran 'em between two plates?

waksupi
10-01-2009, 09:07 PM
I've used lots of Fuller flints over the years, and have never had a fit problem, as long as the proper size was purchased. I am trying out some of Rich's flints at the time, and they seem to be nice and sparky. They do knap a bit different from the English flint, due to the structure of the stone, but are still very acceptable.
It's not the rock, it's the lock.

frontier gander
10-01-2009, 09:21 PM
i had trouble with my lock today at the range. After the 3rd flint drop i noticed i had forgotten to put powder in the pan LOL. Had another scare too. I had touched the flint up and it kept clicking. Did this 6 times in a row. Turned out i had taken a bit to much off and the top of the jaw was hitting the frizzen. It was a good day on the range! Now to get more powder. No lock problems here!!

felix
02-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Warren's Place in Ozone AR
35°38'36.90"N
93°26'31.47"W

He has everything BP possible in that place.....

... felix

vulture47
02-10-2010, 04:39 PM
jim4065 did Frontier Gander say how he got in touch with the guy with the awsome flints? Finding good flints can be a pain the butt when you live so far from any outlets.

jim4065
02-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Rich Pierce from the St. Louis area seems to have a good reputation for flints - but I don''t know how to reach him. I buy from TOW - always high quality.

02-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Rich has been covered quite a bit lately in other posts/threads in the ML sub forum. The latest address I have is: rpierce@DOM.wustl.edu

Captain*Kirk
02-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Say, Troy McClure....did you ever get you flinter kit? What were the results?

northmn
02-18-2010, 06:15 AM
We are back on this subject. I have not only seen lock problems with cheaper production locs but also touch hole positioning as I use to make a little extra rdrilling and plugginh touch holes and putting them in the right place. The "sunset" position is bet where the bottom of the touch hole is at the top of a full pan of priming. You can carry them this way for hunting. A low touch hole fills with primer and they can fuse on you before going off. Sometimes a prodcution rifle will have a lock with a decent mainspring sometimes not. I have had to replace a few for others to get a stronger spring. Thats why L&R sells replacement locks.

Northmn