PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with cast in a 22-250.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-29-2009, 10:10 PM
I have been experimenting with cast in a 22-250 with a 1-14 twist. I am using a Lyman 225646 mould, and clip-on WW. I am getting absolutely zero leading, but so far accuracy has been fair, a 5 shot group measures around 6” at 100 yards. With lube and a gas check these boolits weigh 62grs. I have shot 64gr “J” word bullets at “J” word velocities with no problem from this gun.

Would switching alloys possibly give me a lighter harder boolit that should in theory yield better accuracy? If so what alloy should I try next?

Do I really just need a different boolit mould? If so I am open to suggestions for moulds that you all know for a fact work in a 1-14 twist.

Thank you for your input.

GabbyM
09-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Lighter alloy wouldn't matter. It's not the weight that limits stability it is the length of the bullet.

My 225646 is .680" long with check.

The Lyman 49th states in the 22-250 section in which the test rifle is a 1-14" twist that the 225646 at abaout 2,100 fps is the best choice.

You may simply be up against the usual gremlins.

I spend a little extra money on my 22 boolit alloy since it's so frugal with the little pills. I use 2 parts 2/6 magnum bullet alloy to 1 part Linotype. Air cooled. I'm shooting 223's using H-4198 short cut. Have some RL-7 I've not opened up yet too. Using a Lyman M die to prep the case neck. Wilson hand die to seat over 14.5grains H-4198. Which is supposed to be just over 2200 fps.

Is your nose up to size and does it fit snug into the rifling. You know the standard twenty question routine.

runfiverun
09-29-2009, 11:50 PM
you need to be super picky with your 22 boolits any visual mark or weight variance will cause issues too.
look through them like they cost a buck apiece

JeffinNZ
09-30-2009, 04:29 AM
HHHMMM. Need more info.

Have you cleaned all jacketed fouling out of the barrel?

What is the load? What are you sizing to? Necks tension?

Bret4207
09-30-2009, 06:21 AM
HAve you got an oversized expander for the die? I'd pull a couple loaded boollits and see if they're damaged during seating.

bruce drake
09-30-2009, 08:00 AM
I've got a 22-250 with a 1-14 twist as well. I've always used the 55gr LEE Bator Mold and have had good accuracy from it. I don't think the 1-14 twist is optimized with bullets heavier than 55gr. I'm going to try to shoot some 40gr J-words shortly to see if they tighten up thegroups from my 55gr loads. If the 40gr J-words work like I think they will, I'll start hunting for a 225107 mold (37gr + GC) to experiment with.

Bruce

felix
09-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Ignition problems. Bore too small for fillers and get accuracy. Shoot at 50 yards with that boolit; it will do 150 yards easily with 2100-2400 fps in 14 twist. Why? Recoil control and wind doping are most important. Accuracy should equal 100 yard jacketed boolits at 50. Your alloy seems correct at 62 grains for 665 length boolit. If your boolit is longer, increase weight by adding more lead, or less tin. Water drop, and then use oven water dropping technique for the boolits measuring only a 0.3 grain variance. Mix alloy to make boolits until 90 percent are within that 0.3 variance. Very important to get alloy perfect. After that, make three piles, each with 0.0 grain variance. Install checks immediately before the day is out if checks are hard to put on with that alloy. Do NOT crimp the checks on at this time. Let boolits sit for a month, then crimp and lube. Use 15.0 grains N110 with rifle primers, and work DOWN for sweet spot. Boolits should touch one another at 50 yards. ... felix

Wally
09-30-2009, 09:22 AM
I have a Rem 700 Varmintmaster in the .22-250. I use the 55 grain RCBS bullet sized to .225"...using 10.0 grains of Unique, gives me 2,200 FPS. On a godo day, with little wind I, can hit a 3.5" plate at 250 yards with it, shot after shot. It is my most accurate cast bullet rifle caliber .

2ndAmendmentNut
09-30-2009, 09:34 AM
HHHMMM. Need more info.

Have you cleaned all jacketed fouling out of the barrel? Yes

What is the load? What are you sizing to? Necks tension? The brass was neck sized

HAve you got an oversized expander for the die? I'd pull a couple loaded boollits and see if they're damaged during seating. No I do not have an oversized expander die, where can I get one?

Thanks guys for all the help.:D

2ndAmendmentNut
09-30-2009, 09:35 AM
you need to be super picky with your 22 boolits any visual mark or weight variance will cause issues too.
look through them like they cost a buck apiece

Yes I am super picky.

Larry Gibson
09-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I think Bruce Drake is essentially correct. The 14" twist is probably not stabilizing that bullet well enough at the velocities you are shooting it at.

Larry Gibson

StarMetal
09-30-2009, 11:44 AM
If the holes in the target are perfectly round I don't think it's stabilization. If they are shooting that large of a group and it was because of stabilization I think you would start to see oblong holes or what I'm getting at is starting to keyhole.

Felix all I'm going to say is that you are not correct on that bore size being too small for fillers.

Joe

Bullshop
09-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Joe
Maybe a little off topic here but maybe you can explain this for me.
I have a boolit load in a 30/06 with a Lyman 55gn in sabot at 4300 fps muzzle.
Holes in paper are perfect octigon shape, (flat sides not round).
I atributed it to having something to do with the high RPS and dwell time of the boolit in the paper. Something like the boolit making a 1/8 turn while in the paper and the land cuts in the boolit cutting the flats in the holes. The lands do seem to transfer to the boolit.
I duno?!? Just for a lack of a better explenation I guess. Wierd though!
BIC/BS

StarMetal
09-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Joe
Maybe a little off topic here but maybe you can explain this for me.
I have a boolit load in a 30/06 with a Lyman 55gn in sabot at 4300 fps muzzle.
Holes in paper are perfect octigon shape, (flat sides not round).
I atributed it to having something to do with the high RPS and dwell time of the boolit in the paper. Something like the boolit making a 1/8 turn while in the paper and the land cuts in the boolit cutting the flats in the holes. The lands do seem to transfer to the boolit.
I duno?!? Just for a lack of a better explenation I guess. Wierd though!
BIC/BS

Dan,

That is strange indeed. First thing I would want to know, and it's very difficult to find out without very high speed photography, is what that bullet looks like after fired and undamaged. In other words what is the sabot doing to it? We have to know first what shape the bullet is in before hitting the paper. Then we can go from there.

Joe