PDA

View Full Version : OAL for RCBS 45-230-RN

ScottJ
09-29-2009, 09:17 PM
My brother gave me some 230 grain .45s he cast to try.

I put them over the same 8.3 grains of Accurate No. 5 that works well with my FMJ stuff.

Seated to the same OAL of 1.250 they don't feed well at all.

I seated them all the way down to 1.230 OAL and they feed well but are a bit hot. Pressures were fine at 1.250.

Those of you shooting the same boolit what OAL is working for you? I'm shooting them in a Charles Daly 1911.

Le Loup Solitaire
09-29-2009, 11:57 PM
I use this bullet as well as the H&G #34 which is identical. There are two bands so there is quite a bit of room to play with in the seating. I've never used Acc #5 so can't comment on it, but I use Bullseye and Red Dot with success. There are a lot of OALs listed for 45ACP with the 230 grain RN's and various powders and justifiably so because there is a relationship between the two. Anything that changes the loading density/ the burning rate will change some aspect of the performance. Changing the searing depth does just that. Deeper as you stated is changing the pressure. You can also seat only so far out before you can't get the round into the mag. Too deep and aside from the pressure you can also run into a feeding problem. I would suggest trying different charges and seating depths with the ACC #5 until you find the balance point/best-that feeds well, and gives you the best accuracy. If you can't find it then you will have to try a different powder and establish the OAL that works best for it. To give the Acc#5 a fair shake start by reducing the loads downward from 8.3 by tenths of a grain to compensate for the deeper seating at OAL's and decreasing them from 2.45, to 2.40, to 2.35, and also to 2.30. With also reducing the powder, the pressure should ease up. In addition to better functioning of your pistol (pressure contributes to battering) your groups will tell you what is the best combination. LLS

jleneave
09-30-2009, 12:25 AM
I also use this bullet. I am in the process of loading up 1000 rounds now. Before I started this large lot I loaded up a few to make sure they feed in my 1911's. I seated some at C.O.A.L. of 1.265" and they fed fine in my Colt, but would not fully chamber in any of my Kimbers, the slide would be out of battery and a light tap on the rear of the slide would fully seat the rounds. I guess because Kimber uses match grade barrels and the chambers are some what tighter? I ended up seating them to a C.O.A.L. of between 1.245" and 1.250" and 5.9 grains of Unique. I don't have any expierence with Accurate #5 or Charles Daly 1911s, sorry. But with the Unique I get really good accuracy especially out of my Kimber 1911s, all three of them, with no signs of pressure what so ever. According to the book they should be running about 850fps. I use Chip McCormick Power Mags and Wilson Magazines, do think you are having problems with the magazine or are the rounds not fully seating in the chamber? Just a thought. I also do not have any leading problems with this load.

Jody

ScottJ
09-30-2009, 08:27 AM
It's a not fully seating issue like you describe. A light push with my thumb will fully close the slide.

With them deep seated they feed fine. This load has given me no leading issues at all.

I'm going to try 1.240 and see how that works before I pull down the 60 or so I have left. I should have checked a few more before I cranked out 80 of them assuming they'd act just like the FMJ load I use.

He's loaned me the mold so I can cast a bunch and I'm thinking of tyring 4.5 grains of Bullseye. I just need to pick some up.

I don't have anything to compare it to but I get the idea my Daly's chamber is a bit tight too.

Thanks for the info.

XBT
09-30-2009, 10:30 AM
I’m using that boolit in a colt 1991 with an aftermarket barrel and had to go down to an OAL of 1.230 before it would chamber smoothly.

The same load is also working fine in a Ruger P-345.

ScottJ
09-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Also, I'm sizing them at .452. What are the rest of you using?

Le Loup Solitaire
09-30-2009, 04:24 PM
As previously suggested if you increase the seating depth with the accurate powder you should lessen the powder charge a bit to compensate for/lower the pressure. With Bullseye or Red Dot powders I use 4.0-4.1 grains. I size my bullets at .451. That having to push the slide with the thumb suggests the possibility of the need for a slight taper crimp. I set my taper crimp die to make the case .471 on the loaded round when finished, but that might vary with the chamber of the particular gun. So you will have to experiment with that. LLS

243winxb
09-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Also, I'm sizing them at .452. What are the rest of you using? .451" for a tight chamber. It can make a difference.

Mallard57
10-01-2009, 12:16 AM
I have to size mine to .451 in my Dan Wesson, accuracy doesn't seem to suffer. I wasn't sure whether I had a tight chamber or if I needed to hit the barrel with a throating reamer, sizing to .451 seemed to work.
Jeff

jleneave
10-01-2009, 02:03 AM
I am sizing to .452" and lubing with Lar's Carnuaba Red. I also failed to mention that I am also using a slight taper crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

sleeper1428
10-01-2009, 02:14 PM
It's a not fully seating issue like you describe. A light push with my thumb will fully close the slide.

With them deep seated they feed fine. This load has given me no leading issues at all.

I'm going to try 1.240 and see how that works before I pull down the 60 or so I have left. I should have checked a few more before I cranked out 80 of them assuming they'd act just like the FMJ load I use.

He's loaned me the mold so I can cast a bunch and I'm thinking of tyring 4.5 grains of Bullseye. I just need to pick some up.

I don't have anything to compare it to but I get the idea my Daly's chamber is a bit tight too.

Thanks for the info.

I cast and shoot this same RCBS boolit, seat to an OAL of 1.240 and my normal load is 4.5gr of Bullseye, precisely the OAL and load that you plan on using. This OAL works perfectly in my Colt 1911 while in my Para PX745 I had to have the barrel throated slightly to allow full seating of the cartridge at this OAL, basically because the Para has a match grade barrel and the chamber is cut very tightly, apparently with no throat whatsoever, and designed to shoot only commercial RN ball ammunition. Functioning is fine in both handguns at this OAL. I think you're on the right track.

sleeper1428

ScottJ
10-14-2009, 10:30 AM
I might have found my problem with this. I discovered this weekend my cleaning had been neglecting the roof of the chamber. It was quite cruddy.

I've gotten it nice and shiny and will try again this weekend.