PDA

View Full Version : This stuff got the lead out FAST!

ghh3rd
09-29-2009, 06:12 PM
I have read about wrapping strands of copper Chore Boy pads on a brass brush to get lead out of a barrel. Somewhere I also heard about something called Big 45 Frontier metal cleaner.

I am experimenting with some boolits and have been getting a lot of leading. I ordered and just received and tried this stuff out, and the lead was gone in just a matter of seconds, without soaking in Kroil, etc. Amazing what the right tool can do. I don't mind putting a plug in for something that works this well for me.

Frontier Metal Cleaner looks a lot like a steel scrubbing sponge made up of thin coiled ribbons of metal. The coils are composed of a proprietary alloy containing stainless steel, nickel silver, monel (a corrosion resistant nickel based alloy), and zinc.

The alloy is effectively "harder than rust but softer than bluing." As a result it can be used to scrape the rust, dirt, and dried greases and oils off blued steel without harming the finish. Moreover, Frontier Metal Cleaner is significantly more effective than other "sponge" cleaners like bronze wool due to the shape of the individual strands.

Since each strand is a thin, ribbon of metal with sharp leading and trailing edges, the "sponge" has the effect of hundreds, if not thousands of small razor blades scraping away at surface build up. Steel or bronze wool, which is round in cross section does not have this advantage.

"De-leads Bores in Seconds"
To add to the cleaner's versatility, it is extremely effective at removing lead deposits from the bore, and goes a long way toward cleaning copper buildup as well. To use the cleaner on the bore, cut a small piece off the pad with a scissors. Wrap the strands around and through a bore brush, and then run the brush through the bore as usual. You will be amazed with the results.

I haven't tried the Chore Boy method, so it may work just as well, but I was so amazed by how well this stuff worked for me I wanted to share my experience. I paid $5 for a pad (no shipping either) from http://www.frontiermetalcleaner.com/

Randy

Gunslinger
09-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Yet another clever tool for cleaning out lead - WHICH ALSO IS NOT AVAILABLE IN THIS D... COUNTRY :evil:

:violin:

putteral
09-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Just ordered it. Chore Boy works good but if this works better great.
Thanks for the heads up.
:drinks:

Bret4207
09-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Yet another clever tool for cleaning out lead - WHICH ALSO IS NOT AVAILABLE IN THIS D... COUNTRY :evil:

:violin:

4/0 steel wool works just fine for me. Coarser steel wool will work too, 4/0 just seems more forgiving.

qajaq59
09-29-2009, 07:51 PM
ghh3rd, I'll take your word for it. I just ordered one. I rarely get any leading in my rifles but who knows? When I change loads I might. Plus for $5 I'm curious.......

mto7464
09-29-2009, 08:00 PM
you guys have to order this?? Go down to the local store, even in my small town they have it.

09-29-2009, 08:37 PM
I have what appears to be same-same. Bought it from Midway, years ago, don't know if they still carry it, though. Can't tell any difference in effectiveness between it and the copper version.

selmerfan
09-29-2009, 09:56 PM
I think they are also marketed under Gun Brite pad or a similar nomenclature. I have had one for years, they never rust, if they get dirty, just wash with soap and dry, and they work GREAT for getting the lead out!

hydraulic
09-29-2009, 10:34 PM
I've used one for years. Lots of guys selling them at the gun shows.

Gohon
09-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but stainless steel and monel sounds like some awful harsh stuff to be running down the bore.

stubshaft
09-30-2009, 01:31 AM
How can it be harder than rust but soft enough for blueing? Both are oxides of steel.

WILCO
09-30-2009, 01:45 AM
How can it be harder than rust but soft enough for blueing?

Through the magic of advertising silly!!! [smilie=s:

qajaq59
09-30-2009, 06:30 AM
Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but stainless steel and monel sounds like some awful harsh stuff to be running down the bore. Neither monel nor stainless rust easily, but I'm not sure they are harder then steel. But I'll find out when it gets here by working over a hardened steel wrench.

Gunslinger
09-30-2009, 06:50 AM
4/0 steel wool works just fine for me. Coarser steel wool will work too, 4/0 just seems more forgiving.

Is that the soft steel wool also called 0000 steel wool? I did not think you could use that to clean firearms.

randyrat
09-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Best stuff i have ever seen. I used it to clean up an old barrel (inside) now it looks new again, i must have got it just in time , no pits.
I used it for leading in a barrel and it took the leading out in a few swips. I wraped it around a bore brush , run it through a few times.

mto7464
09-30-2009, 07:25 AM
The old frontier things are just stainless steel pot scrubbers. I know a lot of you guys think it will ruin a gun but it will take rust off and not destroy what blue is still under and around the rust spot. I bought an old stevens 410 that had been left in a garage for years. covered in rust. The pot scrubbers took the rust off and left what blue and the case hardening was left on the receiver. Buy some and try on something if you don't believe. I tried it first on my handle of my RCBS press. I would never do this with steel wool cause that will take the blue off.

XWrench3
09-30-2009, 10:29 AM
i will wait for the reveiws on this one. personally, i like something that is undeniably softer (like the copper scrubber) than the bore. that way, i KNOW it will not hurt the bore. i would rather work a little harder, and know i am not hurting my gun.

selmerfan
09-30-2009, 12:08 PM
I was also among the field of skeptics on this product. Taking it to some older blued stuff convinced me that it doesn't remove blue, doesn't even scratch it! I have used them for years with no ill effects.

leftiye
09-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Quad ought (OOOO) steel wool does polish steel. Depending on the bluing it will remove some - if you don't have sense as to when to quit. Should be the same inside a bore. A little harsh for a bore in my experience.

Whitespider
10-01-2009, 08:15 AM
i will wait for the reveiws on this one...
OK, I’ll give you one.

Several times I’ve read about the use of “Chore Boy” or “Chore Girl” on this board, and I’ve sort’a smiled to myself. I didn’t bring up the Frontier product because I think of myself as relatively new here and didn’t want to come across as a (for lack of a better word) know-it-all when it came to lead boolit specifics.

I’ve used the stuff for over twenty years, to clean rust and remove the rarely occurring barrel leading. I’ve scrubbed rust spots from blued gun steel using considerable muscle and never even scratched the bluing (I normally use a bit of rust-penetrating oil with it, maybe that helps to not scratch?). Wrap a bit of it around an old bore brush, creating a snug fit in the barrel, and it only takes seconds to remove bore leading. I save the brush and just add a bit more of the stuff when the fit becomes a little loose. I’ve never seen any evidence of bore damage and I’ve used it in dozens of pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns (normally removes plastic wad fouling in a single pass).

Except to clean the occasional forcing cone, my Lewis Lead Remover has not been used since I purchased this stuff. My picture shows a price of $3.95, but actually I bought 5 of them for $2.oo each from a shop locking their doors some twenty+ years ago, the picture shows how much I have left.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt321/Whitespider8591/big45.jpg

jonk
10-01-2009, 08:57 AM
I ordered some yesterday. I have a rusty buttplate to try it on.

Ricochet
10-01-2009, 09:35 AM
How can it be harder than rust but soft enough for blueing? Both are oxides of steel.
Rust is harder than steel, and will scratch it.

bgokk
10-05-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't know how this happened, but after reading this thread, I ordered one of these. I went online to Big 45 Frontier Gun Shop and paid with discover card got a thank you email from the shop on the 30th.

The pad came in Saturdays' mail (10/3) and when I opened the package there was a copy of the order with this handwritten on it, "We do not take Discover Cards Please Send Check Thanks" :shock:

I mailed the check today. Included a thank you note.

Straight :Fire:

qajaq59
10-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I don't know how this happened, but after reading this thread, I ordered one of these. I went online to Big 45 Frontier Gun Shop and paid with discover card got a thank you email from the shop on the 30th.

The pad came in Saturdays' mail (10/3) and when I opened the package there was a copy of the order with this handwritten on it, "We do not take Discover Cards Please Send Check Thanks" :shock:

I mailed the check today. Included a thank you note.

Straight :Fire: They risked $5 and likely got a customer that will do business with them for years. Obviously someone in that place has a brain.

pdawg_shooter
10-05-2009, 02:41 PM
I was at a BP muzzle loader shoot a while back and some of the guys were shooting steel wool wad out of their guns to clean them!