PDA

View Full Version : Lee Sizing die

nonferrous
09-29-2009, 05:50 PM
I am casting with a six cavity Lee 156 gr X .358 TL LSWC mold. The Boolits are dropping between .358 and .360 which is fine. The sizing die is bringing them to a perfect, round .357. Lee says that the tolerance is + or - .0005. They will fix it if I send it in, or they say that I can open it up with a wood dowel and valve lapping compound if I want.
Has anyone got a thought on this.
For only14.00 it might be smart to buy another kit and keep the one that is .0005 small.
Thanks

HammerMTB
09-29-2009, 06:53 PM
I took a pencil, split the end, wrapped some 240 grit paper around it, and whittled away. It will open a half thou in a short while. No shipping back to Lee, no $14

nonferrous
09-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Hammer,
Did you chuck the pencil in a drill, or did you hone it by hand?

Thanks

HammerMTB
09-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Hammer,
Did you chuck the pencil in a drill, or did you hone it by hand?

Thanks

Just poked it in my drill motor. Held the die and let it slowly turn, so I didn't sand more from one spot than another. Bonus, when I got done, the die was highly polished. It's not likely to lead up now.

Buckshot
09-30-2009, 02:04 AM
..............HammerMTB, only needing a half a thou increase won't require much. The actual sizing ring in the Lee push through die is only about 0.100" wide. If you have any 600 grit, use that. Be sure to put some oil on it and hit the die for a short length of time. How tight it is in the actual sizing area will determine how fast it cuts. Even though the silicon carbide abrasive granuals break down I'll bet a couple applications of a few seconds duration will get you what you want.

...............Buckshot

MNruss
09-30-2009, 08:05 AM
How do they shoot as-cast?
Regards
Russ

nonferrous
09-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Buckshot, I will follow your cautions, Thanks for that.

Russ,
I have not tried shooting them as cast, as they are .001 to .002 out of round and I do not know if that is a problem.
I guess if the forcing cone and bore will handle that condition without leading, that would be the way to go. I will load some up and shoot them in my 'L' Frame. It takes all the abuse, while the PPC gun gets pampered.
Thanks again

tackstrp
10-01-2009, 02:52 PM
i noticed that when i run my tumble lube bullet thru the Lee sizer I get shavings from the last band dangling at the base. . Seems "not right " to me. I am biased to my old old lyman 450 sizer. ube. But i do like the price of lee moulds. Not convinced that i care for the tumble lube.

Lee six cavity bolts and nuts on the lee six cavity molds seem to need adjustment, OFTEN>
will try some 2 cavity see how that works for me.

cabezaverde
10-01-2009, 03:13 PM
I ahe also opened them by coating a few bullets with valve grinding compound and pushing them through the die. Just clean the die and check it often.

6.5 mike
10-01-2009, 04:26 PM
I roll mine on a rubber mat without the nut. 1/2 a thou. would take 15 rolls counted 1 way & check. I wrap the paper around a dowel long enough to hold outside the die & move it in & out as I roll. Worked good for me so far on the 5 I've done. Like Buckshot said check often when you get close to what you're looking for.

nonferrous
10-02-2009, 09:30 AM
I have also noticed that the Lee 6 cavity needs a short tune up every 1000 boolits or so. I assumed that this may ease up with a little more use.
Mike, thats a good idea for controling the lapping job, I also think it would be a good way to keep it round.
Thanks