PDA

View Full Version : We got bear hunting in Oklahoma!

44minimum
09-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Our first bear season starts this week. In recent years bears have been migrating into Eastern Oklahoma from Arkansas. The biologists think that we have a resident population of around 500 now so bear permits are being sold for $100 each. After 20 bears are killed, however soon it may be, this season is over. It is only archery for right now but it could go on into rifle season. Who knows?

blackthorn
09-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Here in Kamloops BC we have bears aplenty! Two mornings ago while I was reading what all you fine folk had to say, I looked out my home-office window and there was a little dark brown yearling cub looking in! By the time my wife found her glasses and the camera it had gone around the house and over the bank, so no picture. I dont hunt bears because I dont particularly care for the meat and I decided some time ago that I dont really want a bear skin rug anymore (I did once but never found a bear I thought was big enough).

Wayne Smith
09-30-2009, 12:33 PM
I think it was last year that a limited bear season was opened in the Great Dismal Swamp. Young boars have been invading residential areas in Chesapeake, stimulating the idea. Net result last year was no bears shot and three hunters lost and rescued!

zt77
10-05-2009, 04:24 PM
I've heard stories of bear around lake tenkiller. good to hear there is a season starting up. I imagine people will jump on the opportunity quicky.

elk is starting to be an issue around the illinois river in cherokee county. we recently killed six because they are tearing up fields. I know a guy that shot fifteen because they were destroying his huge watermelon patch.