PDA

View Full Version : So you think primers went up?

qajaq59
09-28-2009, 02:20 PM
I was going thru a box of stuff we had in storage and came across My "Shooter's Bible Reloader's Guide", 2nd edition, from the sixties. Price.... $3.95

putteral
09-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Geez, I bought a Dodge Challenger R/T Back in 1970 for less than 4k new. Wanted a Corvette but they were going for a little over 7K. Prices on everything including primers have gone up and I do not think they will come back down to where they were, but that is just my opinion.

cabezaverde
09-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Not always true.

Look at the prices of reloading dies in that book - adjusted for inflation, they are practically free now.

EMC45
09-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Primers went through the roof in the mid 90s due to Klinton threatening to put a expiring type chemical to make them inert after a period of time. Remember? They came back down. I heard they were going for 60 dollars a 1000. Then they went back down to like 14 dollars a thousand.

TDC
09-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Yep...... I add about 10x to 15x to the price of "what used to be."

I have some CCI primers purchased in the late '60's and early 70's that still have the price tags on them. I remember complaining then because they were .53c a hundred
(or $5.30 per k). I remember walking away in 1979 from a new 6 1/2" Mod. 29 because it wasn't an 8 3/8 like I wanted. It was priced at $183.00 which was retail at the time (Pinned, recessed cylinders and in the presentation case too).

Wheel weights were free for the hauling. Brass could be picked up by the bucket full at almost any rural shooting area and in most any caliber. Gasoline was .27c a gallon for regular and .31c for 104 high octane, highly refined and very clean burning. My, how things have changed.......

All in all, we casters and shooters are lucky compared to some people. Many of the components and products we use haven't escalated in price as much as many other essential products.

These past examples are an indication of what will happen in the next twenty or so years. Judging from what we are seeing today inflation will be substantially worse in the years to come.... We ain't seen nothin' yet with the current political environments impact on inflation, regulation and last but not least, gun control and vast new hunting limitations and restrictions!!!!

JMHO....

Shiloh
09-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Primers went through the roof in the mid 90s due to Klinton threatening to put a expiring type chemical to make them inert after a period of time. Remember? They came back down. I heard they were going for 60 dollars a 1000. Then they went back down to like 14 dollars a thousand.

I found some Klinton Primers several months back. Had 'em stashed.
They worked fine. WSR white box primers, nickle plated, not like the brass ones now.

Shiloh

kywoodwrkr
09-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Had a chance to buy a Colt 38 Special in 63-64-65 time frame.
Dealer wanted $100 and thought it was a little high.
Bought same gun later at a gun show for $75, wondering if I really should or not.
Ser # 2513 SAA.[smilie=1:
Check what they are going for now.8-)

JIMinPHX
09-28-2009, 07:30 PM
The way that they are printing "money" these days, the price of everything is going to have to go up pretty soon. It will hit home before you know it.

Just my 3 cents...

Blacksmith
09-28-2009, 08:28 PM
The prices have not gone up the the value of the dollar has gone down. You used to be able to buy 1 ounce of gold for 35 one dollar bills now that same ounce will cost over 1000. And as JIMinPHX says its gonna get worse.

Blacksmith

twocool4u
09-28-2009, 11:40 PM
Blacksmith

+1

lylejb
09-28-2009, 11:53 PM
The prices have not gone up the the value of the dollar has gone down. You used to be able to buy 1 ounce of gold for 35 one dollar bills now that same ounce will cost over 1000. And as JIMinPHX says its gonna get worse.

You mean $20. The double eagle was a $20, 1 oz coin.......

As they say, "those were the days.."

yeah, it's going to get worse. Soon, the question won't be who prints more money, Monopoly or the US Mint, but who's money is worth more.

Buckshot
09-29-2009, 12:18 AM

Blacksmith

...............You betcha. In 1905 and ounce of gold would buy you a fine suit. In 2009 an ounce of gold will buy you a fine suit. A couple years ago my dad made a remark to me about complaining about the price of gas that really put it into perspective. I'd said something about how it now cost me about $32 to fill the tank on our Taurus so I could 'almost' drive back and forth to work for the week.

He said that if I had $4.75 in pre 1964 silver coins I could do the same thing with the price of silver at the time. Of course the guy behind the counter would want to see those 32 folding paper green backs instead.

So far as reloading components go, I recall in the mid-late '80s buying bricks of 22LR for $11-12 bucks a brick. Not too long ago Winchester Dynapoints (my favorite bulk 22) could be had at Wally World for $9.63 a brick, and Federal 550 packs at $11.87. One or 2 bucks LESS, 20 some years later. Either the ammo makers back then were making money hand over fist or Wally World was taking a beating on those Dynapoints. I do understand lost leaders but they sure couldn't count on shoppers continually buying enough else to make up the overall loss?

After the Clinton scare in the early '90s I bought Winchester LRP's from MiWall at the big LA gunshow @ $12/K and no sales tax. I recall them going to $12.50 AND they began charging tax! I was scandelized :veryconfu After LA county shut that one down the next largest gun show was held at the Orange County fairgrounds. I remember it was after we moved to town so it would have been around 2001 or 2002 I gave a pal $300 to buy me some Win LRP's and he came back with 4 sleeves. I had to pony up the extra sales tax, but bless his heart for getting the 4 instead of 3 and handing me the change! They'd gone up to $15/K!

..............Buckshot

qajaq59
09-29-2009, 06:44 AM
yeah, it's going to get worse. Soon, the question won't be who prints more money, Monopoly or the US Mint, but who's money is worth more. Never have you been so right!

XWrench3
09-29-2009, 07:47 AM
well, since the sixties, the U.S. dollar has deflated down to about a dime. just think what it will be like in another 40 years. it should be worth roughly a -$.40 ! LOL! especially with the national debt running amuck, and the printing presses running so far into overdrive the bearings are turning red!

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-29-2009, 01:36 PM
My 1968 Hemi RoadRunner had a sticker of $3976.
Options: Hemi, Torque Flite, AM radio, PS, PB.
Hundred thousand dollar car now.
I bought 10K each of WW small and large rifle and pistol in 94 for $9.30 sm, $9.70 lg

Times change

Rich

Rockchucker
09-29-2009, 01:41 PM
I got in a small group buy on 4000 sp primers six months ago and they came in yesterday for 90.90 encluding the hasmat fees.

Catshooter
09-29-2009, 10:15 PM

Yea, they came down alright, but before the scare they were $7.50, not $14.

Cat