PDA

View Full Version : cast boolit shooting sucess

jeff223
04-20-2006, 02:14 PM
ive shot between 500 to 600 rounds of cast boolits through my TC g2 357max with no luck.everything i tred didnt work and i even thought about selling my custom Lee mold from the first group buy i did last year.i shot again today with this gun and i seated the boolit out far enough so i crimped it in the first lube grove rather than in the crimp grove and now when i load this boolit it will fully engage the rifleings when i close the action.

today i shot my best ever group with my hand cannon.three shots measured center to center was at 5/8 inchs.best groups before today was at 1 inch with a jacketed boolit.

all i can say is WOW and with a cast boolit

i got this idea of seating out that far from a member here and i want to thank him for his input on this cast boolt shooting.that member is ,forum name, 357maxhttp://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Dale53
04-20-2006, 04:18 PM
TCs are infamous for their varying chamber throat depth. In fact, I had grown so tired of their inefficient chambering that I recently spent considerable extra money for a custom barrel for my .32 H&R Mag Carbine (got an SSK barrel).

Understand, I have several TC barrels that work well. The problem is you can never tell and they will just tell you that they are within specs. Well, their specs are too wide for me:???:.

Congratulations! You hung in there until you solved the "riddle". Good Show!

Dale53

Bass Ackward
04-20-2006, 07:59 PM
i shot again today with this gun and i seated the boolit out far enough so i crimped it in the first lube grove rather than in the crimp grove and now when i load this boolit it will fully engage the rifleings when i close the action.

today i shot my best ever group with my hand cannon.three shots measured center to center was at 5/8 inchs.best groups before today was at 1 inch with a jacketed boolit.

Jeff,

Well, you just learned several things that you shouldn't forget, but I bet you will. We all do from time to time.

First is to always slug your bore and your throat so that you know what you have to work with. Second is bullet fit. Third is alignment and ignition. Seating into the lands if possible takes care of 2 and 3. These things come as close to cheating in shooting as you can get without hurting anyone.

357maximum
04-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Jeff

I'm glad that it worked out for you, I knew when I tried the boolits you sent me from that mold it wasn't the projectiles fault. Glad the idea worked, and although I would love to take credit for your success none is due to me, I simply passed on info that my dad taught me when I was younger and dealing with an AWFULLY loooooooong throated .280 remington bolt gun.

Bucks Owin
04-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Hey, way to go!

Don't ya just love it when a load "comes together"?

Good one!

Dennis :drinks:

Newtire
04-21-2006, 08:35 AM
ive shot between 500 to 600 rounds of cast boolits through my TC g2 357max with no luck.everything i tred didnt work and i even thought about selling my custom Lee mold from the first group buy i did last year.i shot again today with this gun and i seated the boolit out far enough so i crimped it in the first lube grove rather than in the crimp grove and now when i load this boolit it will fully engage the rifleings when i close the action.

all i can say is WOW and with a cast boolit

i got this idea of seating out that far from a member here and i want to thank him for his input on this cast boolt shooting.that member is ,forum name, 357maxhttp://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
Good going Jeff! Now, your next problem will be when you get another gun in that caliber...because why not?...you already have the stuff to load it. I have 3-06's and each one has a different throat length. It's enough to make you crazy.