PDA

View Full Version : Picante Sauce

zxcvbob
09-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I peeled the tomatoes last night, and did everything else this afternoon. These were slicing tomatoes, so I added the tomato sauce, and *still* had to cook it down a little. I ended with 6 1/4 pints.

USDA probably intended this to be made with Anaheim or New Mexico peppers, but I used jalapeņos with a few Serranos mixed in, so it's pretty hot. (BTW, jalapeņos and Serranos do not need to be peeled) I added a big pinch of dried mint, and I used 1/2 cup bottled lemon juice and 1/2 cup vinegar. The jars just came out of the canner and look really good.

I refrigerated the little dab that was leftover, and I just tried some with chips. Very good flavor (using 1/2 lemon juice and 1/2 vinegar was a good idea.) It's almost too hot, but that's a good thing.

Bob

Chile Salsa
(from USDA bulletin 539) yield: 6 to 8 pints

5 pounds tomatoes
2 pounds chile peppers
1 pound onions, chopped
1 cup vinegar (5%)
3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Roast and peel peppers if they have tough skins; remove seeds and stems, chop. Scald and peel tomatoes; chop. Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle into pint jars, leave 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Notes: If using juicy tomatoes, I add an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce. If using paste tomatoes, like Roma or San Marzano, the tomato sauce will not be necessary.