PDA

View Full Version : Buying a lube sizer

DX250
04-20-2006, 03:59 AM
I am going to buy a lube sizing setup but I have no idea what to buy. I will be using it foe everything fron 9mm to .458 and will be using gas checks. it seems to me that the RCBS and the Lyman are the most versitile due to the wide avalibility of dies and punches and the Saeco looks to be stronger. I am looking for the best one for long term somewhat high volume use. I shoot about 30,000 rounds a year and most will be cast. Any input would be a great help thanks.

Brian

Bucks Owin
04-20-2006, 04:21 AM
I am going to buy a lube sizing setup but I have no idea what to buy. I will be using it foe everything fron 9mm to .458 and will be using gas checks. it seems to me that the RCBS and the Lyman are the most versitile due to the wide avalibility of dies and punches and the Saeco looks to be stronger. I am looking for the best one for long term somewhat high volume use. I shoot about 30,000 rounds a year and most will be cast. Any input would be a great help thanks.

Brian

I used your reasoning when shopping for a "lubrisizer" and wanted either RCBS or Lyman as the dies and punches interchange and they are the most popular out there which means G,H and Is end up in bargain bins etc.....
(I ended up with an inexpensive used Lyman 450 and rebuilt it for $30...)

Dennis

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/Lyman004.jpg

felix
04-20-2006, 08:44 AM
30,000? That is in Star territory. That's a whale of a lot more than doing R&D loads just for the fun of it. ... felix

fecmech
04-20-2006, 09:59 AM
A +1 to what Felix said. Running 30k of bullets thru a Lyman or RCBS will get old real quick. Nick

Dale53
04-20-2006, 11:45 AM
I would recommend that a person start with a Lyman or RCBS (I favor RCBS in this particular situation) because it is more versatile over all. However, the Lee "push through" die works best in certain areas (I much prefer it and pan lubing for my black powder cartridge soft lead bullets as they do not distort in the Lee). Finally, you can add a Star if you do lots of pistol bullets. There is absolutely nothing like a Star for pistols (and revolvers).

I use all three methods and will continue to do so for the above reasons. Just think "Long Term" and work all what best works for you economically (most of us are NOT Donald Trump - and incidentally, the only thing I admire about Donald Trump is his pocketbook:mrgreen:).

Dale53

Cherokee
04-20-2006, 11:51 AM
I would start with a Lyman 450 or 4500. Once ya get into it and want to, you can add a Star :-D

montana_charlie
04-20-2006, 01:11 PM
I will be using it foe everything fron 9mm to .458...
I shoot about 30,000 rounds a year...
Obviously, you need more than one lubriciser.

Constantly changing dies for the various calibers...or changing lube for differing applications...while also managing to prep 30,000 per year...will get old very quick.

Spreading the workload over two units will increase the longevity of both, and it would only make sense that they use interchangeable parts.

I would choose a brand I can afford two of...
CM

Swagerman
04-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I find that four is just about right...they are a mixed bag, but one is a Star.

Jim

Blacktail 8541
04-20-2006, 06:43 PM
30k is a lot of bullets to be shure, but not overwhelming with a good piece of equipment. I like a Saeco, but the expence of the dies is a consideration. And it is slower than a Star. The Star can be had for about $50 more with the top punches running about $10 more. But without the need for a lot of top punches as they size base first, you will save money. With the amount of bullets you are talking about, the Star is the only sizer short of automated that would be efficiant enough to not sour you on lubeing and sizeing real quickly. If you are going to do some gas checked bullets also; get a second luber like an RCBS to process those and the dies will not eat up a lot of your budget. On top of that the lube will be easier to change out when it comes to experimenting with different lubes on different calibers. In the end the Star will cost a little more but if your budget is a little on the tight side it will be more cost effective than buying a cheaper unit an being unhappy.

Maj Tom
04-20-2006, 10:10 PM

Brian
I just upgraded from an RCBS to a Ballisti-cast (someone described it as a Star on steroids). Caliber changes take a second, literarily. I too processed tens of thousands of bullets per year (I shoot 35 to 40K of my own cast bullets per year) and it got real old real fast. I have only had the new unit for a few weeks but what a joy! Just my penny and a half…..

DX250
04-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Thanks for all the input on this. I just happened opon a RCBS for $75 new in the box at a thrift store before work today, but based on everyone's recomedations i will be ordering a star from Magma Engineering once i get the RCBS figured out and runing.

Brian

Bucks Owin
04-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all the input on this. I just happened opon a RCBS for $75 new in the box at a thrift store before work today, but based on everyone's recomedations i will be ordering a star from Magma Engineering once i get the RCBS figured out and runing.

Brian

You may get used to the RCBS and the fine boolits it'll turn out that you just stick with it. (Unless it ends up as a "second" sizer ofr convenience....) That's a pretty good deal you got I'd say.....

FWIW,

Dennis