PDA

View Full Version : Hollow point mould

AbitNutz
09-27-2009, 02:26 PM
I'd like to try casting some hollow points. I know it's slow and painful but I'm ready to fight that battle. The problem is finding what I need. I have a Ruger Old Army and I shoot conical .454 155gr and 210gr in it with great success. These bullets are BigLube bullets and designed for black powder.
So here's the question. What hollow point bullet mold should I start hunting for?
What hollow point .454 is likely to work best using almost pure lead and black powder...or Triple 7?
I know nobody currently makes any but sooner or later I'll find one on eBay, here or there...I can be relentless.

BoolitBill
09-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Just a suggestion, why not buy a new mold with the charateristics you want for black powder and have it hollowpointed by either Buckshot on this forum or Erick at hollowpointmold.com. That way you are getting just what you want, new vs. used, get it sooner than waiting for something to show up on Ebay, and might be less expensive than one off of Ebay.

Alchemist
09-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Just a suggestion, why not buy a new mold with the charateristics you want for black powder and have it hollowpointed by either Buckshot on this forum or Erick at hollowpointmold.com. That way you are getting just what you want, new vs. used, get it sooner than waiting for something to show up on Ebay, and might be less expensive than one off of Ebay.

Excellent advise....just what I was going to suggest. I can personally recommend Buckshot's work. He HP'd a 357 mould for me, and it works great. BTW, if you cast for enjoyment, hollowpoint casting is not that bad. Just try to maintain a quick tempo and I put the pin over a can of Sterno to keep it hot.

Good luck.

AbitNutz
09-27-2009, 04:46 PM
I thought about that but the problem I have is the two molds I really like are the BigLube 155gr & 210gr bullets...and guess what? They are only listed in Lee 6 cavity molds. No way to hollow point one of those.

On the other hand...if I can figure out what two cavity mold would work ok...I will absolutely take your advice and get it hollow pointed. Those Cramer style molds look terrific.

Any suggestions on the molds to start with?

GLL
09-27-2009, 05:02 PM
I know nothing about black powder moulds but here is an old 454190 that Buckshot converted to HP. He has done at least 15 for me ! Great craftsmanship ! I have a few from Erik and they are equally nice !

Casting hollow points is certainly not a speedy process but is far from "painful" !

Methodical is a better word for it ! I really enjoy making them myself.

To me hollow points are not bullets you take to the range and blaze away 400-500 at a time in a bottom feeder. Most people use them for hunting rather than extensive target practice. Now that I have retired I enjoy the process of experimenting (playing) ! :) :)

Borrow a mould first and see how you like casting HPs !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/55F07C1E821F1A5/standard.jpg

geargnasher
09-27-2009, 05:07 PM
[EDIT] Dang it, GLL Ya beat me too it!:grin:

I have no idea if this would work for your Old Army or not, but the Lyman .454190 is a great smokeless revolver boolit and the blocks have enough meat to hollow point well. They will cast about 260-265 grains with pure lead and no hollow point, probably around 225 or so with a skinny pin (you want a small, deep hp cavity for pure lead to work well). Only issue may be that pure lead casts undersize and these moulds are already undersized. If you buy a regular, brand new mould and have Erik Ohlen hp it for you, he offers a driving band enlargement service also (he's one of the very few people who does) and he can make it cast any size you want.

You're talking $150-180 by the time you buy the mould and Lyman handles, pay shipping, ship it to Erik, pay him to modify it, and pay shipping back.

Gear

GLL
09-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Gear:

You have to be quick around here ! :)

Jerry

canyon-ghost
09-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Second that on Erik Ohlen's work, he's top notch and a great guy to deal with. You can catch him on e-mail in the evenings. http://www.hollowpointmold.com/ I have 3 molds that I got from Erik.

Here's the report for this afternoon, if you have this site: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_topic.php?id=4809&forum_id=4

GLL
09-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Nutz:

If you want to try a 454190 search for an older mould. I find it is the newer LYMAN moulds that cast undersize.

This one casts over 0.455" which is perfect for my S&W Model 25 .45Colts (which have large cylinder throats) ! :)

Jerry

[http://www.fototime.com/3DC734975B4795C/standard.jpg

Leftoverdj
09-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Look for one of the discontinued Lee 452-230-HPs. With any luck, it will cast .453 or .454 as is. If not, it's a minor matter to lap it out slightly.

I suggest that mould because Lee used a really nifty system with the HP pin. Casting with one of their moulds is nearly as fast an easy as casting with any other single cavity mould. They are also cheap. I saw one offered for sale for $25 within the last week.

fredj338
09-27-2009, 07:56 PM
I love Erik's work, & I am sure Buckshot's is the equal, but for what it sounds like you need, a Lyman 45Dev mold would work & be cheaper than buying a mold & having it converted. Mine throws a 200grLHP cast of 50/50 ww/lead. I have a 270grLSWC w/ one cav HP by Erik, & it will throw 250gr-270gr depending on the pin chosen. It casts large, even from dead soft lead @ .456".
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/452-268-1K.jpg
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details.php?entryID=30

GLL
09-27-2009, 08:20 PM
fredj338:

I also like the LYMAN 45 Devastator mould for my S&W 45 AR revolvers but cannot get it to drop much over 0.452" .
Jerry

canyon-ghost
09-27-2009, 08:58 PM
You Guys are leaving out one important path here, at the bottom of Erik's page, if you click For Sale, you get the entire list of molds he has. He generally has a lot of 45s.

Firebricker
09-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Would a Mihec 200gr .45 HP mould work ? I don't know much abought BP but if it would work Mihec may have one. You can get some good boolits and production out of one. FB

StrawHat
09-29-2009, 07:45 AM
AbitNutz,

You might also look for the Lee HP mold they cut for the 44 BP revovler. I have one and it is a good boolit.

Like GLL says, not one for the target shooter but a good one for hunting.

Another one that holds a lot of lube is the 45 Collar Button, Lyman 457130 (or the GB mold). It is the original and I believe the prototype for the big lube copies.

I believe Buckshot can HP one of the cavities on a six block Lee mold but you'd have to confirm that with him.

fathertime24
08-22-2010, 08:27 PM
I would like to get in contact with Buckshot to have a 32 ACP mold HPed.
How do I get with him?

94Doug
08-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Just a PM will work. Go to the PM section, and type "buckshot" as a recipient.

Doug

Doby45
08-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Yheap, I think when I spoke with Buckshot about my 358477 mold we also discussed that he could not do a Lee 2cav because of the steel guide rod in the bottom of the mold but that he COULD do a cavity on a 6 banger.