PDA

View Full Version : How to Pull Bullets Any spectail tools

WickedGoodOutdoors
09-27-2009, 11:02 AM
I picked up a big box of old mixed up 30-06 some are FMJ some are jacket soft point some are all lead no jacket.

No idea if this stuff was factory or reloaded and thought that it may be best to pull all the bulletts dump out the powder and reload with my own powder.

How do you guys pull out the bulett? Any spectail tools or jigs? I only have a Lee Hand Loader for the 30-06

whats a good Red Dot charge for 30-06?

RayinNH
09-27-2009, 11:07 AM
I just use an impact puller. I've never had to do a big box full though.

13 grains Red Dot, the universal load...Ray

Sprue
09-27-2009, 11:14 AM
To salvage any bullet, I would go with the kinetic puller. I also have the rcbs collet puller as to which I don't like. It will leave pull marks. YMMV

ETA: if memory serves me correctly, I think that (at least rcbs) does not recommend their collet puller for lead bullets.

AJ Peacock
09-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I like collet pullers, but the kinetic pullers work good as well. I've found a couple tricks/tips that help.

1) If the bullets have been in place for a long time, seat them just a little and this will break any bond that has occured over time between the bullet and brass. This makes it MUCH easier to pull the bullets.

2) If you are using the kinetic puller, you will need to hit it against something. I've tried about everthing and find that a short piece of 2x4 held in the other hand works well. Hit it on the end and let the puller bounce back. Not only does this work really well, it is one of the quietest things I've used.

Hope these help,
Good luck,

AJ

mooman76
09-27-2009, 12:12 PM
If you don't care about the bullet itself you can run it up into a press in the shell holder, without a die. Grab the bullet with pliers and pull back down.

Le Loup Solitaire
09-27-2009, 02:08 PM
If you don't have a whole lot of bullets to pull, don't want to buy a bullet puller and have some patience, try the following. Put the neck of the round on a hard flat surface...preferably metal. Take a small metal bar...a good size wood or lathe chisel would work, place it on the neck and roll the cartridge neck back and forth under pressure a few/several times. The neck will loosen and you can pull the bullet out with your fingers. It takes a moment or two. LLS

trk
09-27-2009, 07:18 PM
If you don't have a whole lot of bullets to pull, don't want to buy a bullet puller and have some patience, try the following. Put the neck of the round on a hard flat surface...preferably metal. Take a small metal bar...a good size wood or lathe chisel would work, place it on the neck and roll the cartridge neck back and forth under pressure a few/several times. The neck will loosen and you can pull the bullet out with your fingers. It takes a moment or two. LLS

Cool idea. I wonder how much it affects (if much at all) the bullet.

Tomhorn
09-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Hornady Cam-Loc puller, reasonably priced and works great. Any press that accepts standard 7/8 inch dies and appropriate shell holder. Once you try one you will never want to use a kinetic again.

AZ-Stew
09-27-2009, 08:00 PM
The larger the bullet, the better the inertia bullet pullers work. Unless you put a couple of cleaning patches in the nose of the puller cavity to soften the impact of the bullets pulling free when using an inertia puller, count on damaged bullet noses.

For bullets smaller than 7mm, a collet-type puller is much better. The smaller bullets have less inertia, and proportionally higher neck tension. They can be a real pain to pull with the inertia pullers. Collet pullers don't work well with tapered noses on lead boolits. The bullet will just slide out of the puller collet as you lower the press handle.

With either puller type, beware of gas checks left behind when pulling lead boolits. They may stick in the case neck or fall into the case body. They MUST be removed before loading the case. You don't want a gas check stuck in the bore when the next round is fired.

Regards,

Stew

canyon-ghost
09-27-2009, 09:01 PM
If all you want is your brass and primer back, you can snap vice grips on the bullet at the top of the ram stroke. Just remember to clean any lead shavings out of the threads when you finish.

rockrat
09-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Few rounds, an impact pullet, lots of rounds, collet puller is faster. Want to save bullets, impact puller.

lead Foot
09-28-2009, 03:03 AM
What ever you do don't buy a Dillon kinetic puller ~ mine broke and every one I know has broken ones two. I have tried Le Loup Solitaire's way and it works well.
Lead foot;

Bulletlube
09-28-2009, 03:27 PM
I had better luck by pushing the bullet in a little first to break the grip.