PDA

View Full Version : The new pot

skeet1
09-26-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm sure some of you are getting tired of me saying how much I am enjoying my new Lee Pro 4-20 furnace. My old furnace is a cast iron Saeco BP I purchased 30 or 35 years ago and it was more expensive at that time than the new Lee is today.

I just got through using the Lee for the 2nd time and it was very pleasurable. While casting I noticed that the flow need to be increased and all it took was a screwdriver to make the adjustment. With my old Saeco it took two wrenches and was very difficult to make fine adjustments while hot.

The other thing I tried was using kroil in my mould cavities. I have an old lyman 452460 double cavitiy mould that has always been a struggle to get the bullets to drop. Yesterday I really soaked the cavities with Kroil and let it sit over night. Today I used some Q-tips and wiped out the Kroil and started casting. Once the mould got up to temp the bullets started comming out much easier than they ever had before and the quality is much better. For those fo you that have a problem mould like this you might give it a try.

Skeet1

RayinNH
09-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Skeet, something you may want to consider doing and that is to put wire around that adjusting screw and the rod with the shallow groove that the screw rides in. Over time the screw gets loose in that too thin piece of metal that activates the pour and overrides the groove. A soft copper or steel wire that is pliable and wrapped a couple turns around that junction will solve the problem...Ray

docone31
09-26-2009, 09:03 PM
The screw through a few times casting, gets a coating of rust on it and it stays where it was.
The hassle I have had, and still have, is the machine screw that holds the rod to the pot.
It keeps comeing out. I can tighten it, but it still keeps coming out. I am afraid to really tighten it as I am not sure it is not in plain old sheet metal.
The first time I noticed it, it started acting like there was something wrong with the way it opened. Like there was something preventing it from opening. It was the pivot machine screw.
Now, when I cast, I cast for a while. Perhaps if I tighten it to start, it might stay tight during the session.
Time will tell.

Heavy lead
09-26-2009, 09:25 PM
The screw through a few times casting, gets a coating of rust on it and it stays where it was.
The hassle I have had, and still have, is the machine screw that holds the rod to the pot.
It keeps comeing out. I can tighten it, but it still keeps coming out. I am afraid to really tighten it as I am not sure it is not in plain old sheet metal.
The first time I noticed it, it started acting like there was something wrong with the way it opened. Like there was something preventing it from opening. It was the pivot machine screw.
Now, when I cast, I cast for a while. Perhaps if I tighten it to start, it might stay tight during the session.
Time will tell.

Mine too, now I remember to tighten before I plug the pot in, no problems now.

timkelley
09-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Mine has stripped out from overtightening and I have to be very careful. If anyone knows a fix, please tell how.

stubshaft
09-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Mine has stripped out from overtightening and I have to be very careful. If anyone knows a fix, please tell how.

It IS only sheet metal (unless they changed their design in 8 years). To repair remove ALL of the screws on the top of the pot (after emptying the pot) and take pot out from the burned element. Remove screws and replace with 4-40 screws and nuts. I usually use a "star"lock washer on the inside (nut) side. Replace and your back in business.