PDA

View Full Version : Two Pots going

Sprue
09-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Well its going to rain all day long here, the streets are standing with water to say the least.

..... so it looks like a good day for casting.

I have one pot full of liquid melt and the other is in the kitchen full of Pinto's.

I did this very same thing last week, casted about 25 lbs of .429 'ers. As for the beans, they didn't survive. I forgot about them and they burnt. :oops:

So this is 'take two", I'm hoping for a little better outcome.

Bullets, Beans & Cornbread is on todays menu, again.

Navahojoe
09-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Rain also here, local weatherman predicting 1 - 2 inches. No casting or bean cooking today.
Enjoy both of your pots!
regards,
NavahoJoe

DLCTEX
09-26-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm enjoying beans and chili as I read this, my wife did the cooking though. No casting though, as I'm having problems with my feet and am giving them a rest this week end.

SciFiJim
09-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Sprue, how did the casting go today? It has been discussed before that casting in high humidity (rain or fog) seems to help with good fill out. Did it help, hurt, or make no difference?

Sprue
09-26-2009, 11:34 PM
All went well, business as usual. Todays cast was 15-20 lbs combined of 358156 & 38-150-swc's.

Beans turned out good too. :drinks:

Tell you what, I really like the RCBS molds. You can pick them up cold and start running good boolits right from the get go. Now if only they were 4 cav's....

Echo
09-26-2009, 11:58 PM
I WISH you guys would stop talking about RAIN! Carrumba! We have had a bust of a monsoon - usually get 7-8" of rain between July 4 and Labor Day, this year only about 3", cutting our annual rainfall about in half. Send some of that stuff our way!

madcaster
09-27-2009, 12:16 AM
I only had one pot going,but I refilled it quite often,preheating and all,cast up only #311284's today.Gonna stick with that mostly for my Mauser .30/06...:cbpour::coffeecom

Dale53
09-27-2009, 12:57 AM
If you are going to be cooking beans unattended may I suggest a slow cooker (Crock Pot)? That way, you won't lose any beans (sacrilegious!). Of course, you MUST bake cornbread with beans (or use fried corn bread if time is a problem).

I am showing my Appalachian roots, here...

I will be casting in the morning. I think I'll run about 20-21 lbs of the GB .32 100 gr Keiths.

Dale53

SciFiJim
09-27-2009, 01:15 AM
I think I'll run about 20-21 lbs of the GB .32 100 gr Keiths.

1400 of them little boogers. :shock: How fast do you go through them?

Dale53
09-27-2009, 01:23 AM
I nearly always take at least two revolvers to the range (I get to the range a couple of times a week). I will shoot probably no more than 80 shots at a time (that's eight ten shot targets) with each caliber.

A feller just HAS to keep his hand in, doncha know....[smilie=w:

I have several .32's but my most used one is my S&W 16-4 (6" barrel).

Dale53

hammerhead357
09-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Doggone it Dale you make me wish I still had my 16-4 with a 4'' Barrel. Let it get away in a train wreck of a trade. I am still kicking my butt over that one.....Wes

PatMarlin
09-27-2009, 02:43 AM
THis is a good read thread to eat beans with.

I'm showing my west coast roots with a can of chili, after along day of work ...:mrgreen:

The cook went to bed ..:roll:

cajun shooter
09-27-2009, 07:01 AM
We use to let our beans soak over night, then slow cook the next day for supper. It was eaten with cornbread that was made in a black skillet. Now we slow cook them in a crock pot, but still have that skillet corn bread.

JRW
09-27-2009, 07:32 AM
White bean soup with ham hocks and that glorious fried cornbread!

Can't get much better than that!

Sprue
09-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Well the little women was gone most of the day so I had dinner my way. She's not much of a country bumkin so I was not only in charge of the casting, but kitchen detail as well.

That said, I cooked up the pinto's beans. To go with them was cooked taters, turnip greens and buttermilk cornbread. For meat I cooked a few wieners.

With the leftover beans I suspect chilli will be on the menu.

As for the weather, I can only say its been an obama year.

To all, have a Great Day!

Bret4207
09-27-2009, 09:08 AM
My wife has a friend who makes the most delicious baked beans ever made. I don't know what she does or how she does it, but we can't make anything that tastes remotely like them.

Navahojoe
09-27-2009, 12:25 PM
cajun shooter
Is there any other way to cook corn bread, other, than in a black cast iron skillet?
regards,
NavahoJoe

Dale53
09-27-2009, 12:40 PM
I come from a family that regards cornbread as one of the main food groups. Our preferred method is to bake in a well seasoned cast iron skillet. However, if time is a problem, then fried cornbread (just like pancakes) makes for a good substitute.

I prefer the hard crust on the baked bread but can certainly "make do" with the fried bread.

I was invited to a private streamside fly fishing lunch along a mountain stream by a genuine Cherokee Indian fly fishing guide. We each caught our own lunch, the fish were still flipping when introduced to the iron skillet on a Coleman stove. The Indian gentleman produced a skillet of corn bread (baked at home) to the lunch. It was EXACTLY the same recipe that my mother used. Our recipe came from the Appalachians and no doubt in my mind that our family originally got the recipe from the Cherokee Indians who originally populated the Appalachians (and still do). It made for a memorable meal (along with freshly cooked and harvested Ramps Um-m-m-m, GOOD!).

Dale53

SciFiJim
09-27-2009, 12:46 PM
If you like crusty cornbread, try cooking it in a waffle maker (the old kind with the small holes). That way each bite is crusty and it makes convenient shape to hold while spooning beans or soup with the other hand.

carpetman
09-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Try Carpetman's Mexican cornbread---a meal in itself--recipe omits onion,add them if you like them. www.castpics.net then recipes.

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Dale,

I miss those Ramps! Don't grow out here, got plenty of Pinto's though . . .