PDA

View Full Version : 5010 Powder

moon
04-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Anyone useing this?? I've two cans and am going to use it in a 7/30 waters with a cast bullet--Just wondering what to start at.?

felix
04-19-2006, 09:41 PM
To the bottom of the neck for starters. In other words, work down to find the most accurate load. Make damn sure it is 5010, a very bulky powder. ... felix

moon
04-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks--bottom of neck--then down

Maven
04-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Moon, IMR 5010 burns more efficiently with heavier CB's and mag. primers. You'll also find ~1 shot in 20 will exceed the velocity of the other 19 by quite a bit. (I'm referring to extreme spread here.) To reduce this tendency, try using between 0.3cc & 1.0cc (via a Lee dipper) of either Grex (poly- filler) or cereal filler (powdered bran* corn meal, Cream of Wheat) of your choice: Use enough so that the seated CB compresses the filler and 5010.** If you opt for Grex, store the loaded rounds with the primers up, i.e., facing you, as it tends to migrate into the powder if agitated. Hope this helps!

*Bran that you run through an electric coffee mill

**Initial charge of 5010 should fill the case above the neck-shoulder junction. A chronograph is especially helpful with this powder, particularly if using a filler.

StarMetal
04-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Contrary to some of the stuff written here I find that 5010 burns a whole lot better in smaller bore bottlenecked cartridges. For example I get pretty good burning in my 260 Rem and my 7x57 Mauser. I also don't use mag primers. Now one cartridge that I have that isn't real bottleneck that the 5010 does better then good in is the 8x56R that I shoot out of my Steyr M95 carbine. It's exclusively what I use in that cartrigde. Excellent accuracy along with a fairly clean burn. So far I haven't found the extreme spread that Maven reports getting and I do have a chronograph. I'm not a fancier of using Cream Of Wheat...rather I'll use Kapok. You may not get enough 5010 in that round to get alot of velocity. On my 260 Rem I trickle tube the powder into the cases to get more in.

Good luck...one other thing 5010 also burns pretty dirty and leaves alot of fouling. Oldfeller calls it smokeless blackpowder.

Joe