PDA

View Full Version : Doh!!!!

Bret4207
09-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Okay, give me a dope slap! Somehow, for the very first time in 30+ years of reloading I got a double charge! 26.0 gr Red Dot behind the RCBS 30-180FN in the 308. I was trying out my FR-8 as a tractor gun and the 4th round was a massive (comparatively speaking) KABOOM and much heavier recoil than the previous little ka-pow's and light thump in the shoulder. Had to force the bolt open and found a severely flattened primer and swelled case head. No damage to me or the gun. That 4th round also struck within 1" of the other 3. I ran 8 more rounds through the gun and found it really likes the 13.0 RD load grouping all 12 rounds within 2" at 50 yards. They strike about 2" above point of aim with the high peep and 1/2" low with the lower peep. Barrel is as clean as a whistle too.

Despite my little error I'm very happy with the pickup load and the FR-8 as a tractor gun. The bad part came later when I ran over my chainsaw somehow. Anyone want o buy a severly mangled Stiihl 028 minus the handle?

part_timer
09-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Glad to hear that you and the gun are ok. Sorry to hear about the stihl.. That's a horible way for a good saw to die.

DLCTEX
09-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Bummer about the chain saw! I love my Stihl, and I have a spare I bought cheap as the coil is bad. Any chance the coil is salvagable?

KCSO
09-25-2009, 02:56 PM
The load is right for tractors but isn't the caliber a little small? I use a 2.5" cannon for the big John Deere's we got here.

Boy you lucked out on that one a SMLE would have split in half with that kind of load, I'll bet pressures on that one went over 75,000 PSI.

StarMetal
09-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Gosh Bret! One thing after another with you. The other day you banged your head driving that tractor. Hey, take care of yourself or I won't have anyone near as fun to argue with.

Want ya want for the Stihl?

Joe

Bret4207
09-25-2009, 06:32 PM
What a buncha sharks! Let me see if the local Stihl dealer has any parts saws. If not
I'll let you know.

I don't know how I managed to double charge that case. I always place a boolit on my charged cases, but I must have done it some how.

lylejb
09-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Maybe you should take the rest of the day off!!!

Glad to hear your OK

canyon-ghost
09-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Well, if you double-charged one, you can always go to a bulkier powder that takes up case space. Yeah, captain obvious but, if a double charge will spill onto the table, you just won't do it. If you've got too fast burning a powder, then it's more likely. Slower rifle powder would just be safer that way.

Good to know you survived and the rifle is okay. Chainsaw, damn, that's bad.

Bret4207
09-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Ah, my life is one adventure (euphemism for disaster) after another. I've neglected to relate the tale of the two other saws that died the day before. An ancient cheapo Poulan that has more sheer guts than any saw it's age and quality should died after cutting a few blocks. Most likely a plugged fuel filter or carbon across the plug gap. Then I went to my Sachs Dolmar 116si, the fastest, lightest, nicest little 4.3 ci saw I've ever owned. I'd even take it over my beloved Husky 266. We were going great guns till the muffle fell off! Fortunately Gordy, my 7 year old, is gifted at finding things Dad loses and recovered the missing bolts. Then Hailey, my 6 year old daughter, who was running the woodsplitter decided to "help" me by taking my pulp hook and laying into a block of ash. Naturally she missed and ripped a mighty gash in my boot, right over the steel toe thankfully. She of course thought that was a riot! Dad wasn't laughing.

Oh well, at least my kids like to help with the wood.

MtGun44
09-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Shame about the Stihl. I have an 029 that is a really good machine. Hope you
can get it fixed.

I think double charging is the reloading equivalent of landing gear up. There are those that
HAVE and those that HAVEN'T . . . . . . . . . . . yet.

I have once, .45 ACP, didn't like it at all.

Ya'll be careful out there.

Bill

largom
09-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Shame about the Stihl. I have an 029 that is a really good machine. Hope you
can get it fixed.

I think double charging is the reloading equivalent of landing gear up. There are those that
HAVE and those that HAVEN'T . . . . . . . . . . . yet.

I have once, .45 ACP, didn't like it at all.

Ya'll be careful out there.

Bill

Been there & done that on both counts. Ran over an almost new chain saw with my skid-loader. Total wipe out. I have also double charged a couple of cases, well almost, caught them before seating the boolit.

Larry

09-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Bret4207,
Really, really good you're OK!
Knock on wood- never double charged nor KABOOMED one. I know with age and CRS disease :) I'm way overdue. Have run over two sets of binocs tho.

'tis the season! A neighbor has rolled a tractor twice in the last two years. Nearly killed him both times! Knock on wood again.... haven't rolled mine ..... yet. Know of two different KABOOMS at the local range in the last week! Something in the air or maybe something to do with all the once-a-year loaders and shooters getting ready for deer and elk season. Think I'll go hide in a "Happy Place" until all this blows over.

Bret4207
09-26-2009, 06:58 AM
Been there & done that on both counts. Ran over an almost new chain saw with my skid-loader. Total wipe out. I have also double charged a couple of cases, well almost, caught them before seating the boolit.

Larry

Back when we had the Husky dealership a nice young logger came in one day and plunked down cash for a brand new Husky 2100XP. He even paid extra for a .404 bar and bought a spool of .404 round top chipper chain as he was the header man on a area that ran to large, dirty pine and was tired of having to sharpening the chisel chain everyone else used. 3 day later he was back with what was left of his saw. Somehow he placed the saw on the deck of the loader and crushed it. Out he went with a new 2100 but he stuck with the standard 3/8 bar and chain this time.

I still have that saw. Took parts from a whole slew of other saws and built one. Still a fine saw that always starts in 3-4 pulls even if it sits for a year. And I'm still working out of the spool of chain he returned.

qajaq59
09-26-2009, 07:46 AM
I've never had a double charge, but a while back I loaded 12 spire bullets into cases for my 30-30 before I noticed I had the wrong box. How I did that I'll never know. And why it took 12 cases for it to register is another mystery. I guess we just get too complacement over the years and occasionally we need a wake up call.
And I'm glad Bret that you didn't get hurt.

Whitespider
09-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Bret,
When I have a day, or a week, like yours I put all guns, internal combustion engines and power tools away.
Next I open a good bottle of whiskey and throw the cap away, bucket of ice and half-dozen fine cigars... spend the rest of the day sitting on the porch reflecting.

felix
09-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Whitespider is right on, Bret! Let someone else do the "driving". ... felix

part_timer
09-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I was bringing wood into the house last winter and slipped and fell on the ice with the firewood landing on me. I went into the house and called off from work. I figured the day just couldn't get any better.

Bret4207
09-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Whitespider is right on, Bret! Let someone else do the "driving". ... felix

There is NO ONE ELSE to do the driving! Stuffs gotta get done. That's why I have 7 tractors and 6 chainsaws and multiple this that and the other ting. If one busts you get another and keep going.

Whitespider- If I did that every time I had a day like that I'd never crawl out of the bottle.

Poor, poor pitiful me. (Apologies to Linda Rhondstat):violin::bigsmyl2: