PDA

View Full Version : I hate learning things the hard way!

Muskrat Mike
09-24-2009, 10:06 PM
I hate learning things the hard way! But you do remember them better that way don't you?:(
Anyway I've only been casting about 4 or 5 years and having a ball learning it. I decided to try the Frankford Arsenal "CleanCast lead Fluxing Compound" from Midway. It's a white powder and Yesterday I stirred in a teaspoon of it into my Lee bottom pour pot. I stirred it around and a bunch of garbage rose to the top and I scimmed it all with my old tablespoon and dumped it. It seemed to do a good job and I cast a bunch of boolits and was fat and happy! :coffee:This morning I made a pot of cofee and read the paper while the pot and mould was heating up.
When the tempature hit 700 I grabbed the tablespoon which had a crusty build up on it and stuck it into the pot to stir and flux. Boom! I got an explosion of lead which hit the ceiling (9') and spritzed all over me! I was lucky my glasses and cotton shirt caught most of it and I didn't even get a bad burn anywhere!
The humidity was high yesterday and last night, do you think the residue left on the spoon absorbed the moisture just laying in the garage over night?
I liked the way it cleaned up the melt yesterday but I don't think I'll be using that anymore!:confused:

runfiverun
09-24-2009, 10:13 PM
yep marvelux does the same thing you quickly learn to ease the spoon in to warm it up.
it's the best way to go in a closed enironment though,i use marelux when smelting and stir it in with a stick.

docone31
09-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Another reason I use Kitty Litter.
Haven't had a visit from the Tinsel Fairy since I started.

wallenba
09-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Another reason I use Kitty Litter.
Haven't had a visit from the Tinsel Fairy since I started.

I got about 70 lbs of floor dry in my shop, is that what kitty litter is made of? Been thinking of trying it as a flux, it looks like dried bits of clay.:?:

runfiverun
09-24-2009, 10:37 PM
same stuff it just sit's there and breaks down a little bit at a time,good heat/oxygen barrier.

sagacious
09-24-2009, 10:53 PM
The humidity was high yesterday and last night, do you think the residue left on the spoon absorbed the moisture just laying in the garage over night?
I liked the way it cleaned up the melt yesterday but I don't think I'll be using that anymore!:confused:
Yes, that's exactly what happened. That fluxing compound is hygroscopic, and will absorb water from humid air.

Why stop using it? Keep using it-- there is nothing wrong with it. If you can learn to pour molten metal safely, you can learn to use various fluxing componds safely. Your "learning experience" was that you used a dirty spoon with fluxing residue on it. Just don't repeat that.

Next time be sure to remove all the fluxing residue from the spoon. Cleanliness is next to etc etc. I have used the Marvelux-type fluxes, but personally I'd much rather use old candle ends or whatever wax I can get for free, as the fluxing results are the same or better with wax, since it can be ignited. The "CleanCast" fluxing compound is designed to be used in an area where smoke or flames are either not tolerable or pose a safety hazard.

Hope this helps, good luck.

AZ-Stew
09-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Your Frankford Arsenal stuff seems to be Marvelux in a different label. Yes, it's hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air), which is why it will rust carbon steel casting pots. It does a number on Lees, but I think the RCBS I have is stainless, so Marvee or Frankford probably won't hurt it. Just the same, I'm not going to try it.

Heat your spoon by letting it rest on the edge of the pot or on top of your solid alloy as the pot comes up to temp. That'll boil off the moisture before you stick the spoon in the pot. Fortunately, we don't have to worry about that here. Generally, the atmosphere is too dry.

Regards,

Stew

Shepherd2
09-25-2009, 08:03 AM
My visit from the Tinsel Fairy happened in the same way only the stirring spoon didn't sit over night. I was casting on a humid day and stirred the pot after I added Marvelux. I set the spoon aside and started casting. Sometime later I picked up the spoon to stir again and when I put it in the pot it blew. Tinsel everywhere but no serious burns.

I checked the spoon after I had spent about 45 minutes or so cleaning lead foil off everything, including me, and it had small droplets of water on it again. Marvelux is definitely hygroscopic. I put the can on the shelf and started using candle wax for flux. Eventually the Marvelux rusted thru the metal can.

These days I flux with kitty litter and stir with a wooden stick. A big improvement over Marvelux. Wish I'd known about kitty litter 40 years ago.

blackthorn
09-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Just an add-on,---even plunging a cold cast ladel into the alloy can give you the same effect, it is usually just not as violent!

Fugowii
09-25-2009, 10:31 AM
This thread ought to be a sticky for us noobs. This is excellent information.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
09-25-2009, 10:38 AM
When my pot gets up to temp I rest my stirring spoon on top of the molten lead to get it up to temp and eliminate any moisture that may have been absorbed into the crud that is cooked on there.

Le Loup Solitaire
09-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Most of us know the basics, but accidents inadvertently happen. Ladles should be preheated as well as spoons or anything else that is to be poked into the molten metal. Ingots should be preheated and as such a pair of pliers (slipjaw) used to hold them when adding them to the melt. I keep a aluminum pie plate handy for catching drips and then use it to cover the pot-held at a slant in my favor/away from me to protect me if there is some bubbling, spattering or other disturbance that occurs for whatever the reason. Gloves (welders preferred) and eye protection are a given and a welders apron is a good idea too. This protective equipment is reasonably priced in HF. I have used various things to flux with, including Marvelux; it works well. I use a spoon to sprinkle some of it on and not much is needed. It should be stirred on the surface first and not pushed under it. I use the pie plate to be sure. just in case. "Once bitten or burned....twice shy", as the saying goes. Its a good idea to keep ladles and spoons crud free; scrape them with an old screwdriver or touch them to a wire wheel regularly. Wood sticks/painters sticks are good fluxers, but make sure that they're dry and sap free; a little while in the oven at 200 degrees will do it. Be safe and enjoy casting. LLS

ph4570
09-25-2009, 03:42 PM
yep marvelux sux.

Calamity Jake
09-25-2009, 06:56 PM
The easyist way to keep the tinsil fairy away?____________________ DON"T use marvelux

Ricochet
09-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Poking a rusty ladle or other utensil down in the lead will cause some popping and splattering as the moisture in the rust boils.

1Shirt
09-25-2009, 08:32 PM
I gave up on all of the marvelflux type stuff a long time ago, and went to just a clean dry stick or dowl. Scrapes all the edges, chars the stick/dowl, so there is a carbon factor, and for me I works, is cheap and fast.
1Shirt!:coffee: