PDA

View Full Version : The M91 Argentine at long range

FAsmus
04-19-2006, 01:39 PM
I have a M91 in the typical 7.65X53 caliber that I have used for quite a long time.

Just recently I began shooting it at extended ranges, running from 395 yards on out to 834 yards, shooting cast bullets.

My load for this shooting is heat-treated Lyman 314299 with the power charge of 40 grains H-205. This load provides 2150 ft/sec.

The load will print into 5 X 1.500 at 100 yards pretty much every single group and at extended distances its only drawback is that the poor little 30 caliber pills don't kick up enough dust to see misses every time when shooting at our hilltop range and steel silouettes.

The sights on this rifle are a Redfield globe front sight and a tall-staff Lyman (going up to 105 minutes of elevation) receiver sight. These superiour sights over the old military items are what makes the difference!

The rifle itself remains in full military wood, inculding ramrod and issue trigger.

Come shoot with us ~ pre-1900 long range military bolt rifles only at Sheridan, Wyoming this summer.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

redneckdan
04-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Come shoot with us ~ pre-1900 long range military bolt rifles only at Sheridan, Wyoming this summer.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

I'm headin yer way this summer. Will you let me shoot my vz-24? where 'bouts in montana?

NVcurmudgeon
04-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Forrest, thanks for your interesting post. I have a newly aquired 1891 rifle and an old favorite Lyman 314299. Don't think I'll put better sights on mine as it's in excelllent condition, and I want to keep it issue. This summer after Winnemucca is over, I'll be checking out shorter range accuracy. They sure knew how to make fine rifles then!

onceabull
04-19-2006, 06:47 PM
redneckdan: It's kinda close,but still Wyoming.. If you go,do the Custer battlefield thing,and the Black Hill's to or fro, if time allows trudge on to Cody for a great ride west from Sheridan,and check out the firearms displayed at Buffalo Bill Mus. and see the new Ballards,too.. a great country to visit (and live in)... Onceabull

Frank46
04-21-2006, 03:49 AM
Forest, is that a long slide #48 lyman rear sight that you are using?. Must really have the slide cranker up some to get elevation way out there. Good shooting. Frank

hydraulic
04-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Fasmus: I'll be working with the USFS again this summer, up at Burgess, and I'll drag along my l903a3. Do you shoot issue ammo or cast or both?

Onceabull: you left out the best part of Wyoming: The Bighorn National Forest between Sheridan and Cody.

onceabull
04-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Hyraulic: I think I was trying to capture that drive with my phrase"trudge on to Cody for a great drive west from Sheridan"..called up a map and it looks like I was talking US hwy 14.If that doesn't go through the country you speak of,please advise...Before I did that,I Thought US 16 Buffalo to Worland was about as good as it gets,and I still would recommend if Cody is not on an agenda..Onceabull...Addendum: is it better to leave hwy 14 and go North to Lovell on the way to Cody(assuming one way trip)?