PDA

View Full Version : A little "me" time

Bret4207
09-24-2009, 02:12 PM
So after being retired for 9+ months now I finally took a "me" day today. Okay it was realyy just a couple hours, but you get the idea. I worked with the SAECO BP pot and found raising it 6" made a world of difference. I can almost see the spout now and it went much smoother. This BP thing may work after all, but I'm not tossing my lade just yet. I really need to do something about setting the 2nd pot above the lower one because 10 lbs of alloy goes fast when casting 260 gr boolits.

I also did something I've been putting off for years- I cataloged all my moulds! At least all I could find. 84 moulds from 22-458 cal. Almost all were easily identifiable except for 2 that I'm pretty sure were early 8mm GB's- single cavs that I think I scratched "8mm-220RF" into. Might be a Buckshot design. I also came across a 6.5x140ish that a guy was selling on Ebay several years back. His name may have been Jeffrey Tooker??? Rings a bell anyway but with my memory it could have been Klaus Sniggenwentherman and I'd never know.

So anyway I got it done. Found I have several duplicates and a lot fewer 30 cal mould than I thought I had. But boy oh boy have I got 35 cal moulds! Whole big mess of them. Good on me for that anyway.

Now to record them in a Word file and save it. Well, someday I'll maybe, probably, might getaroundtoit.......:killingpc

qajaq59
09-24-2009, 02:47 PM
I really need to do something about setting the 2nd pot above the lower one because 10 lbs of alloy goes fast when casting 260 gr boolits. I wonder if anyone makes a 50# or 60# pot? It'd be handy for the guys that like to cast large caliber stuff.

mike in co
09-24-2009, 03:18 PM
bret,
for long sessions, i fill two 20 lb pots with the same material. adjust the inpot temp to the same on both. pour from one for about 5 lbs(1/4 down). switch to the second pot, and refill the first. as soon as the first is up to temp, switch back and re fill the second.

consistancy in temp and in pour stream...equals consistant boolits.

and yes i have begun moving my pots higher....no more stupping to cast...and i can cast longer.

mike in co

09-24-2009, 03:21 PM
magma makes a 45 lb 110 and 220w. also a 90 lb. 220 . i have the 90 lb. and you will not over run it.

Bret4207
09-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Well, I have a ladle pot that holds at least 35 lbs if I fill it completely. But that doesn't really help the BP.

Tom Myers
09-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Now to record them in a Word file and save it. Well, someday I'll maybe, probably, might getaroundtoit.......:killingpc

Hi Bret,

Take a look at this, I might work for you.

Precision Bullet Mold Database Softare (http://www.tmtpages.com/MoldListBuy/)

adkpete
09-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Bret
Good on you for taking the "me" time. It feels good to finally be getting some decent weather doesn't it? I hope to be retired in about 8 months
Pete

OldBob
09-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Just for what it is worth ( likely not much) I set my Lyman bottom pour pot up on my tablesaw, clamp it down for safety and then sit on a 5 gallon bucket with a top on it to do my casting. It puts my eyes about level with the spout and makes a fairly comfortable way to cast. A gooseneck lamp would improve the lighting, gotta find one at a yard sale. Oh, and I recently started to use a short piece of 1" PVC pipe for a "knocker", it seems to work better than wood......... or maybe I just like it ??

moses
09-24-2009, 06:47 PM
+1 on the 5 gallon bucket for a stool!

Tom Myers
09-24-2009, 07:01 PM

Hi Bret,

qajaq59
09-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Well, I have a ladle pot that holds at least 35 lbs if I fill it completely. But that doesn't really help the BP.
Couldn't you ladle it from the 35# pot to the other one as you needed to add? It wouldn't cool down your smaller pot quite as much.

Bret4207
09-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Bret
Good on you for taking the "me" time. It feels good to finally be getting some decent weather doesn't it? I hope to be retired in about 8 months
Pete

You'll love it Pete. Best of luck to you!

Bret4207
09-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Hi Bret,

Good Lord Tom!!! I wouldn't know where to start filling in all those boxes!

Nice set up, but I'm just not that into it. Thx anyway!:grin:

Bret4207
09-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Just for what it is worth ( likely not much) I set my Lyman bottom pour pot up on my tablesaw, clamp it down for safety and then sit on a 5 gallon bucket with a top on it to do my casting. It puts my eyes about level with the spout and makes a fairly comfortable way to cast. A gooseneck lamp would improve the lighting, gotta find one at a yard sale. Oh, and I recently started to use a short piece of 1" PVC pipe for a "knocker", it seems to work better than wood......... or maybe I just like it ??

I've tried sitting Bob. That's just unnatural for me. I can't even load sitting. Can't work on a saw or engine sitting either. Maybe when my knees finally give out completely I'll be forced to.

I tried the gloved hand opening the sprue thing that some folks talk about. Just can't get the hang of that. Some of my moulds require a pretty good thump to get them moving. Oddly the best cutter of the bunch is an ancient B+M 45-250 SC. Sprue plate must be 3/8" thick but it cuts like a dream.

Anyway, I've been using a rawhide mallet, about 8.oz for 30+ years. It's the best AFAIC.

Bret4207
09-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Couldn't you ladle it from the 35# pot to the other one as you needed to add? It wouldn't cool down your smaller pot quite as much.

Yes, that would work and I thought of it. I guess I'm just trying to see if the whole bottom pour thing will work for me. It feels so clumsy compared to the old familiar ladle. And really, how much extra motion is there to picking up a ladle and pouring vs. searching for the spout and searching for the pot handle? That's the only difference I can see.

A mould guide is on my "make soon" list. But, since I have so many different types of moulds (Lyman, RCBS, SAECO, NEI, H+G, Lee, Cramer, B+M, Hoch, Yankee) I need one that's adjustable. I tried a couple makeshift ideas today, but nothing panned out.

BTW- Got a chance to try that Yankee mould today. It's a little brass HP 25 cal of about 60 grs. Got it off Ebay on a whim a while back. No HP pin, but I have a lathe and I'm not afraid to use it! Honestly, I put the mould on the pot edge and made a few pours with the HP spud area blocked- perfect boolits every time! It was like magic despite the big old booger on the end of that little boolit. If all brass moulds act like this I'd never buy anything else if I could.

Catshooter
09-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Bret,

Congrats on living to make retirement! I managed it about 16 months ago. Ain't it grand?

So, now that you've inventoried your moulds, I know you un-earthed your Lyman 457195 & 196. I been waiting for you to find 'em so you can sell both of 'em to me.

Here I am, checkbook in hand. :)

Cat

45-70 Chevroner
09-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Nix on the 5 gallon bucket these old butts don't like hard places. A nice soft swivel barstool with a back rest works best for me. Bought it at Big Lotts for $22 bucks. It works great at the reloading bench too.

badgeredd
09-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Bret,

I recently got a MM mold off of evilbay, and I have to agree they are really nice to cast with. Like you, I can't comfortably cast sitting, but unlike you, it never occurred to me to raise the pot...DUH!!!! Guess what my project is going to be today...build a casting bench high enough to be comfy!!!!!!!

Edd

theperfessor
09-26-2009, 11:56 AM
I've been using a simple Excel database I ginned up to catalog my molds. I like it more than Word 'cuz I can sort by manufacturer, caliber, and bullet weight very easily. Surprised me when I filled it in to find I had several duplicate molds or same bullet in different # of cavities. Thinking of HPing my two cavity 358156 since I also have a 4 cavity of same model. Same with my duplicate 452389 2 cavity. Might try to Cramer-ize them.

theperfessor
09-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Bret -

If you would like a copy of my Excel file I would be more than happy to send you a copy. It is real easy to use. Yours if you want it. (Or anybody else for that matter.)

crazy mark
09-26-2009, 05:04 PM
I second using excel. Really easy to sort by what ever. The only importan part is to make all numbers or such alike. An example is 358009 and not 3589. It makes the sorting kinda hard if you don't. I query mine by what storage box they are in also. If you haven't used Excel a lot it will take a couple of hours to learn the basics.

TAWILDCATT
09-26-2009, 07:00 PM
some where in the past there were pictures of two pot set up.I am going to do it now that I have the temp control for my saeco.I was thinking if a u shape with pot on top but all bolted/screwed down so nothing tips.may be in the sticky on casting /or reloading room.

Bret4207
09-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the offer Prof. I'm not familiar with Excel, in fact once you get beyond internet use related items I'm pretty illiterate computer-wise. Whats involved?

Wildcat- I have 2 SAECOs and if I can find a workable (read CHEAP) temp control I'd stack them. Currently my good pot with the working thermostat maxes out around 775, which is hot enough for anything I do. My days of not understanding pot temp vs. MOULD temp and running my alloy at 850 are done. My busted pot just runs full out all the time. Plus there's an odd hook up for the wiring.

Does anyone have a pic of what the normal wiring looks like for a SAECO?

Bret4207
10-03-2009, 08:58 AM
An update- Took the FR-8 with me to the woodlot the other day. Using the 31440 pushed by my beloved 13.0 Red Dot, the last of it too. I'm trying 16.0 2400 next go round.

The 311440 shot nice tight groups just a bit higher than the RCBS 30-180FN. They also tore up the target worse and those I recovered indicated the WW alloy was ductile at the 15-1600 fps "The Load" gives. I wouldn't hesitate to use either loading on varmints and I would probably take a deer too.

The FR-8 seems to be extremely cast friendly. A bit of silver "Sharpie" marker made the front sight much easier for me to see. I do want to open the peep aperture a little as my eyes need a little more light.

Next trip will be with my '03 Springfield, but that won't go on the tractor!

Newtire
10-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Bret -

If you would like a copy of my Excel file I would be more than happy to send you a copy. It is real easy to use. Yours if you want it. (Or anybody else for that matter.)

Hi Perfessor,
I would like a copy of that excel file you use. I got to sorting out my moulds last week and I have 77 that I can find. Some duplicates in single and double cavity.

Echo
10-03-2009, 10:50 AM
I used Excel for my mold cataloging. And +1 on '...the ones I could find.'

Bret4207
10-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Took the boys down to the pit today. Got my Savage 23A Sporter sighted in. Man, if you haven't used an externally adjusted scope in awhile it takes some time to remember! This rifle wears a period correct Wollensak scope of 4x. Much brighter than my comparable Weavers of the period with the 3/4" tube. I believe Wollensak was the forerunner of Redfield. Anyway, she's a shooter and a sweet little rifle. I'm still looking for a correct front mount screw so if anyone has any old Wollensak rings laying around....

Then I let the boys blast away with the SKS and some Wolf ammo. Just enough to know it was working well as they tend to enjoy the "spray and pray" type of shooting on Dad's dime. I just got in out of the folding stock and back in the wood.

Out came the "Worlds Ugliest Rifle", my 6.5x257Roboerts. I was just fire forming brass using a very mild load of 4198 IIRC and some 85 gr Sierras. The boys enjoyed it and the gun shoots surprisingly well for such a homely old thing. It's still a great tractor/rainy day gun and only weighs about 6 lbs.

Up next was the FR-8. Had a couple bad primers but she was laying them in there. I thought I'd have a chance to really put her on paper but it was clouding up fast.

Next, the Marlin 35 Remington. Jeeze wat a nice rifle! Using the GB358-180GC from some years back and 16.0 2400 I found it shooting to point of aim at 50 or so yards. The boys spent a few minutes perforating a pop can and killing rocks. Happily she has a fairly short throat and I should be able to use the crimp groove. I had them a little long and they engraved over half the nose. I think this load is in the "357 Mag from a rifle" territory now and I intend to put it on paper at 100 yards soon after I run it across the Chrony. It should be in the 1600 fps range. I'd like to see it at 2K or maybe 2100. That would be a fine 100+ yard deer load. Of course both boys were just in love with it since it's an early 50's model and about the prettiest gun I own. When you lean heavily towards surplus rifles, a factory Marlin looks pretty fancy!

Last up was my '03 Springfield. This is the Sedgley re barrel, USMC marked job I got a couple years back. This was my first outing with it and I've done absolutely nothing to it except drool on it a bit. Sadly, the 13.0 Red Dot/RCBS 30-180FN load that my 308's love don't agree with the '06 at all. At 50 yards I had a 3" group. Barrel cleaning time. I could see a bit of fouling before I shot but was hoping it was just light stuff. Nope. Probably got years of copper in there. Dang, what a beauty to shoot though. That's one nice old rifle.

It was raining by then so we packed it in. It was nice to get the older boys out and Matt, my oldest, got his 250 Savage "sighted in", which means it's 2" left of where he's aiming. Impatience is his hallmark. Of course the old man will take it back down and finish the job. He and Eric both need to get some shooting in. Everyone is in a lather for hunting season but they get downright depressed when I mention the wood pile.

Funny about that wood pile, eh?

Catshooter
10-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Bret,

Sounds like you're settling into retirement. Sounds like a great day too. Sounds like a big woodpile? :)

Cat

Bret4207
10-05-2009, 08:20 AM
The wood pile never gets smaller. I just keep adding to it.

bruce drake
10-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Bret,

Woodpiles build character in young men. They won't complain in December if they work the woodpile today.

Bruce

Crash_Corrigan
10-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Bret:

I BP with two Lee 4-20's. One is at eye height on a steel milk crate with a plywood cover. The feeder pot is on a shelf on the wall above and behind.

I have a piece of channel steel about 24" long which I mounted on a set of fashioned brackets so the channel steel feeds the bottom Lee 4-20 from the spout of the upper 4-20.

I pour my lead alloy from the upper pot to the lower pot when the level in the bottom pot goes down to 1/2 full. I never fill it up. I only go up to about 3/4 full and keep the temps up into the mid 700's. After I fill the lower pot I add warmed alloy to the upper pot until it is full up.

This way I always have a ready supply of alloy at a proper temperature and I can really utilize those 6 banger molds from Lee and my H & G .358 WC Mold.

This really has increased my productivity and once I get into a rythem I can cast up to 30 boolits a minute with breaking a sweat. I also cannot sit while working. I find I must stand up to prevent a sore back.