PDA

View Full Version : K31 Cast Loads testing

IV8888
09-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Hello fellas...Yep...I'm the beer guy...so what...

I made a few youtube videos the other day about some cast loads I'm trying out in my K31. I'd like to know what you guys think.

(Just trying to contribute to something rather than going deeper and deeper into an argument that is ultimately trivial at this point)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgUKu1iMJbQ&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16_8Gg4cPXg&feature=channel

45nut
09-24-2009, 11:06 AM
First off,, thanks for your service.

(Just trying to contribute to something rather than going deeper and deeper into an argument that is ultimately trivial at this point)

Quite right there, and that attitude is going to get you far, noted and thank you very much for that.

I will be looking through your vids as I can,, any way to help people work with the silver stream is a good thing and your work does just that. Bottom line,, we are all in this together and it is much easier working and easier to get success when everyone is tugging in the same direction.

Stick with us.

IV8888
09-24-2009, 11:09 AM
First off,, thanks for your service.

Quite right there, and that attitude is going to get you far, noted and thank you very much for that.

I will be looking through your vids as I can,, any way to help people work with the silver stream is a good thing and your work does just that. Bottom line,, we are all in this together and it is much easier working and easier to get success when everyone is tugging in the same direction.

Stick with us.

I could not agree more with you. That is the ultimate point of my videos...to help others...Otherwise...Why would I bother?

Thanks for the consideration on the video. I'd love to see what a forum full of casters think.

45nut
09-24-2009, 01:28 PM
From his youtube page:http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Iraqveteran8888#grid/uploads

About Me:
I am a "retired" Army Soldier with 6 years spent as an 11C (Indirect Fire Infantry). I served one tour in Iraq the year of 2005 and have been lucky enough to have had some very interesting experiences, as well as survived some harsh trials. My Youtube page is an attempt to essentially convert my civilian and military experience, firearms knowledge, love for surplus rifles, and handloading techniques (As well as several other crazy things) into a product that the internet community can use for free. I don't claim to shove qualifications, experience, of other "cool guy" flairs down anyone's throat. My videos are honest, untampered, and unbiased. I do not get one dime of financial support from any distributer, bullet company, or other corporate interest. The videos I usually post are either handloading related, range tests for various firearms, gun cleaning/refinishing related videos, or other cool stuff. I do this as a hobby, but also because I want to pass whatever knowledge down the line I possibly can. Knowledge is power...you can never have too much of it. I consider myself a Patriot even though our administration or cowards and crooks view me as a domestic terrorist.

We have much in common friend.

Bret4207
09-24-2009, 02:01 PM
I looked a t few of them, the 2 K31 cast you linked to and one on the Yugo SKS as I just switched mine back to it's issue stock from the folder I carried at work for a few years. I didn't see any thing wrong with what you're doing. Much better than a few I've watched and even a couple that ave been on tv.

I also noticed the entire thread on your earlier "beer" vid has been removed. I'm not sure why, but as I said in my post to you there- these days anything that reflects negatively or even questionably on the shooting sports these days has to be quashed ASAP. The antis use everything they can against us and an innocent joke on your part or my part can cause a lot of trouble for us all.

Best of luck in your video making, I bookmarked the site to look at more of them. And welcome aboard here too. I think once you spend a little time with us you'll find we're pretty good people, well, except for 9.3x62/Dep Al who I understand is an admitted heterosexual with a taste for spicy Mexican food. People like that you just can't help.[smilie=l:

SWIAFB
09-24-2009, 02:36 PM
IV8888, if you really want to find out what type of people are on this forum go to the search box and do a search for loob grooves for sale , by waksupi. It's a long thread but worth the time. Welcome to the board. SWIAFB

mike in co
09-24-2009, 03:10 PM
a comment on your bench technique.

move the rest out to the end of the wood.

this increases the lenght of the radius from your hand to the point of contact with the rest. this allows finer adjustments...smaller groups on the target.

mike in co

IV8888
09-24-2009, 08:36 PM
a comment on your bench technique.

move the rest out to the end of the wood.

this increases the lenght of the radius from your hand to the point of contact with the rest. this allows finer adjustments...smaller groups on the target.

mike in coYeah ive been told that before...I need a bigger bench...LOL

runfiverun
09-24-2009, 10:25 PM
still zero comment on having a beer.
nice work,and welome.
i saw no type of lube star on the end of your bbl.

IV8888
09-24-2009, 11:25 PM
still zero comment on having a beer.
nice work,and welome.
i saw no type of lube star on the end of your bbl.

Lube star...Not familiar with that term.

runfiverun
09-24-2009, 11:44 PM
it's when you have a bit of lube and usually some powder ash come out the end of your bbl, when you have a good fit it will form a star in the shape, and forms from the groove area.
it usually takes from 7 to 11 shots from a clean bbl to form.
but once you see it you'll know. it also tells you you have enough lube in your boolit grooves,and you may be able to eliminate some of it. [might help accuray]
an errant shot in a string would indicate too muh lube in the bbl.
and one to start could indicate not enough left in there. you could try a wet swab on a cold bbl and see where the first shot goes too.

IV8888
09-25-2009, 11:11 AM
it's when you have a bit of lube and usually some powder ash come out the end of your bbl, when you have a good fit it will form a star in the shape, and forms from the groove area.
it usually takes from 7 to 11 shots from a clean bbl to form.
but once you see it you'll know. it also tells you you have enough lube in your boolit grooves,and you may be able to eliminate some of it. [might help accuray]
an errant shot in a string would indicate too muh lube in the bbl.
and one to start could indicate not enough left in there. you could try a wet swab on a cold bbl and see where the first shot goes too.

I'll try it and post the results in a video.

Thanks for the tip...I still feel that my K31 wil shoot better. With jacketed bullets, I have it down to .5 MOA at 100 yards....yikes!

jameslovesjammie
09-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Iraqveteran8888,

I've been a Sub on YT for quite a while. Glad to see you finally made it over here!

I liked the SKS series you did with Harry. I don't think I got a chance to post on it, but did check it out.

James

IV8888
09-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Iraqveteran8888,

I've been a Sub on YT for quite a while. Glad to see you finally made it over here!

I liked the SKS series you did with Harry. I don't think I got a chance to post on it, but did check it out.

James

Thanks for the support. Those type of videos are only going to get better and better. Hoping to push the quality envelope as much as possible.

runfiverun
09-25-2009, 10:02 PM
i'e goten to an inch with cast in both my 31's with the rcbs 165 silhouette boolit.
using h-322and a filler at 1900fps it shoots to the lowest sght setting at that distance.
does as well as my scoped 308,if i can hold it right and do my part.
what scope mount are you using?

IV8888
09-25-2009, 10:23 PM
i'e goten to an inch with cast in both my 31's with the rcbs 165 silhouette boolit.
using h-322and a filler at 1900fps it shoots to the lowest sght setting at that distance.
does as well as my scoped 308,if i can hold it right and do my part.
what scope mount are you using?

Wow...thats a lot better than I thought a cast bullet would be able to do.

I've been using red dot for reduced loads and H335 for my jacketed loads. My jacketed loads are down to .5 MOA, but still need some work with the cast ones.

I have H335, H380, RL15...no H322 yet.

The mount is a St. Marie that mounts on the thumb groove, with Millet all steel windage adjustable rings, and a little cheapo Tasco scope. Does the job though.

I've waxed a few deer with this gun...very solid rifle.

runfiverun
09-26-2009, 01:01 AM
work with the 335 or the rl-15
rl-15 is close to 4895, 28 grs and a dacron tuft should be bout right.
1900 is a twist rate thing, with my 30-30 i can get 2200+ same boolit or the rcbs 150 fn/gc and either aa2230,or h-414
and over 2300 with my 358 and rl-19 [48-50 grs] 250gr boolits
with good [very good] 100yd groups.

PatMarlin
09-26-2009, 10:09 PM
IV8888

Welcome to cast boolit heaven! ..:drinks:

I think you'll find weez a pretty good group of guys... :drinks:

1Shirt
09-27-2009, 08:02 PM
IV8888 Enjoyed video. Would you mind telling me what that mount is?
1Shirt!:coffee:

IV8888
10-14-2009, 11:40 AM
IV8888 Enjoyed video. Would you mind telling me what that mount is?
1Shirt!:coffee:

It is the St. Marie mount that goes on the thumb groove of the receiver and requires no modifications to the rifle.

Wayne Smith
10-14-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm a little curious why some of your boolit holes are round and some are ripped. Was one target tighter to the backing? I'm wondering if you may have some tipping, a boolit not quite stable or settled down. Do you know your velocity?

I haven't used the fast powders in my K31. I'm thinking I need the slightly softer initial hit, but then I'm shooting a PB boolit, too.

IV8888
10-23-2009, 03:34 PM
I can explain the ripping. The board was wet and the targets were a little loose on the board. At least that it is the best explanation I can come up with...LOL.

160 gr. Lee cast bullet sized to .310 on 13 grs of Red Dot. Velocity is around 1650 or so FPS.

I am seating the bullet to engage the rifling pretty strongly when seated.

So far, my initial opinion of the Freechex II system is that is it good for what it is intended to do...shoot cheaper.

I havent worked up any full power loads, although I am working with a few other forum members (not this forum) on using copper bands in cast bullets for a bore riding design.

Still experimenting, but that is half the fun, right?

EMC45
10-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Great write up and Youtube vids. Your attitude towards what you are doing is refreshing Sir. Thank you for your service too!