PDA

View Full Version : Form .375 Win from 30/30

softpoint
09-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Have lots of 30/30 brass, No .375 winchester brass. What is the best way to make it? It would take several passes to neck up in dies that far, I would guess there would be a large loss. Blow it out? :D

45 2.1
09-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Reprime, add small charge of shotgun powder (reddot), ground corncob filler, something light to hold it in until chamber (paper towel). Chamber, hold vertical, fire. Adjust powder charge until you get perfect fireform. Too much powder and some of the case neck will come off.................... Too little and it won't be a cylinder.

softpoint
09-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Have Red dot, will try, don't have corn cob, but I'll :-Dsee what I can round up.
Thanks!

45 2.1
09-24-2009, 10:41 AM
corn cob works best as it will grab the case inside and draw it out slightly. Nothing else i've found will do this as well.

woody1
09-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I use about 6 grains of red dot topped with cornmeal to fill, then tap down and seal with boolit lube or any wax to hold it all together. Fire holding the rifle straight up if possible. That and annealing seems to get a better fillout for me. YMMV Regards, Woody

TonyT
09-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Reprime, add small charge of shotgun powder (reddot), ground corncob filler, something light to hold it in until chamber (paper towel). Chamber, hold vertical, fire. Adjust powder charge until you get perfect fireform. Too much powder and some of the case neck will come off.................... Too little and it won't be a cylinder.

I used to fireform 40-50 Sharp Straigh brass out of 303 British or 30-40 Krag using ca 5 gr. Bullseye and Cram of Wheat as a filler with a wad of toilet paper. Start with a fast burning powder on the low side and work up gradually until you obtain the desired results.