PDA

View Full Version : What alloy for .38-55?

malpaismike
09-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Hello the camp! For a newbie, I have been having good success. I will say that, after waiting 3 months for my .457 rb mold, I didn't do a very good job dipping them. That said, if they were round, I kept them--kaboy is not that critical at 7-10 yds.

My question concerns subject boolits. Is it time to mix some 20:1, or will ww work? Compared to some long range, cas long range is sorta mid-range, 250-350 yd. I have the soft lead and bar solder to get'er done, but don't want to run out too soon. I was pretty cocky with 1000lb of Pb, but it sure goes fast!

Well, much obliged for any input. thxnregards mm

Buckshot
09-23-2009, 11:00 PM
...............Hello Mike. I was just in Sierra Vista for a few days visiting my parents. They live just off Avenida Cochise south of Coronado. I was in Guns and Gear on Fry Ave. They had a really nice looking full military Krag hanging on the wall, but the $1750 price on the tag caused me to back away from it rapidly :-)

I have a brother living in Safford and was over there Thursday. Had lunch at Chalo's and then went across the street to the Gun & Pawn. They had a couple pretty nice used rifles, but again the prices seemed a bit dear. In one rack they had a Savage M340 chambered 30-30 for $89. Had a busted stock (big hunk missing on the right side of the action) and no magazine. I opened the bolt looked down the barrel and it was as dark as a smokestack. Could've been dirt, cobwebs, or rust. I don't know but I just couldn't work up much enthusiasm :-)

Re: Your 38-55, what are you planning on for a propellant? Even if it's BP then WW will work so long as it's large enough for the grooves. LR cowboy rifle side matches at 350 yards!? Heck, around here LR rifle is 50 yards I think :-)

.................Buckshot

runfiverun
09-23-2009, 11:15 PM
you left a lot of info out.
but if it's a marlin bigger and a bit hader is the way to go.
my 375 win marlin does pretty well with a 4/6 mix with smokeless.
my friend has a 38-55 model 94 he uses 20-1 and b/p.
we both get about 1400 fps and good acuracy.

Catshooter
09-24-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm running wheel weights in mine. Lyman 285 grain gas checked & lubed at about 1750 fps. I tried air cooled wheel weights in the lighter 260 grain plain base but it leaded. I shoot a Winchester 94.

The 285 knocks them steel chickens aflyin' fer sure.

Cat

rockrat
09-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Shoulda bought it Buckshot. Find a stock, send it to JES reboring and have a 38-55 bolt gun. I would have paid that just for the parts.

malpaismike
09-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Hello the camp! I was as sure that y'all would put me on the right track as I was that I'd goof up the request. First and foremost, I have to give myself a wake-up call. As I told customers when I worked at Sportsman's Whse, I was a reloader while my amigo Bill was a handloader. He made small holes in paper far, far away; I expended ordnance.
Thus, I will work my smokeless loads up first, then see about bp. For Plainsman, I roll a .45-70 out of the BP Handbook; range is short and I'm using a HandiRifle that makes me look I know what I'm doing. I loaded for thutty-thutty with Win748 and IMR4759; figured I'd start with these.
I'm rolling Lyman 375248 in ww right now; info above seems to go along with this, until, at least, I find I can still shoot long guns--been a while. I have a .38-55 H&R Buff Classic and am building a .38-55 with GunParts wood and bbl on a '70s vingage Win .30-30. Will dig out my Cerrosafe to slug bbls; it's neat how that stuff is like the battery bunny--bought it in Midway sale over 10 yr ago, same lb still getting it done.
Buckshot, send me a pm next time you're in the neighborhood; I'll stand us for grape Nehi's and Moon Pies, at least. Your comments make me recall a dream/wish/roundtuit I've had for ages. It involves a sack of cash and a road trip off the superslabs, hitting gun and pawn shops as they appear. 'Course since retardment, that sack is farther away. Not that many yr ago, less than 10, Mrs and I would spend 7-4 at her folk's cottage in MN. I would go to farm auctions and just nose around. Got a non-match # but tight '97 for $75 at auction; found a real nice Rem870, short chamber no rib BUT $160!!! in a drugstore!! There just seem to be fewer 'deals' these days, and, to me, especially in the West. My saddlepard Jalapeno Harry has a ranch in Safford--was born and reared in Graham Co. Knows jack rabbits by their second name. Swears the last gun deal was messed up by Villa's raid on Columbus, NM. Ah, well............
Hope this provides more grist for the mill. Much obliged for the info. thxnregards mm

Muddy Creek Sam
09-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Mike,

I use 20-1 lead tin for my 38-55 Legendary Frontiersman and my Browing 1885. I load with 46gr 3f Goex and .030 Walters wad under a DD38-55-255 Big lube from Dick Dastardly. Shoot real well in both guns. I use ww 38-55 Brass and Winchester Primers.

Sam :D