PDA

View Full Version : .45/70 "shot" load??

troy_mclure
09-23-2009, 06:24 PM
i saw on a reloading/shooting site somebody talked about a load with 3 .458 round balls in a .45/70 cartridge.

anybody have info on it?

delt167502
09-23-2009, 08:25 PM
have tried this .it shoots in a three to four in group at 25 yds. i couldn't figger a use for the load. it did have a pretty good impact.

geargnasher
09-23-2009, 08:47 PM
I could figger a use for it: Public Relations ;-)

Gear

BarryinIN
09-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Click on the Castpics link on the bottom of this page.
Go to "Articles by Members".
There is one called "Round Ball Loads" by Beagle with lots of good info on multi-ball loads.

I have loaded some, but have not got to try them yet.
I had to make them up, though I don't know what I want them for.

beagle
09-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Check the articles in the castpics site. I wrote that article but don't recall the specifics of the loads off the top of my head without looking.

3 ball and two ball loads are fun to shoot at shorter ranges.

Look for an article titled; Round Ball Loads./beagle

i saw on a reloading/shooting site somebody talked about a load with 3 .458 round balls in a .45/70 cartridge.

anybody have info on it?

pdawg_shooter
09-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Might make a good load for Urban Renewal. You know, the "serious social encounter" kind of thing.

atlatl
09-24-2009, 08:57 AM
I have been wondering about seating a gas check over 10 grains unique then filling the case with #8 shot then crimping another gas check at the top of the case to hold the shot in. I had read about doing the same thing in 44 mag pistol cases and thought the 45-70 would be perfect for grouse shooting when bear hunting. Any thoughts?

2ndAmendmentNut
09-24-2009, 10:25 AM
I have been wondering about seating a gas check over 10 grains unique then filling the case with #8 shot then crimping another gas check at the top of the case to hold the shot in. I had read about doing the same thing in 44 mag pistol cases and thought the 45-70 would be perfect for grouse shooting when bear hunting. Any thoughts?

Not to highjack this thread, but here are my thoughts.

Shot from a rifled barrel has always given me very poor results past about 30feet. Inside of 30feet however it is absolutely devastating on snakes and other small critters. As far as grouse hunting with a 45-70 loaded with shot I doubt it would work very effectively, but then again I have never tried it.

Freightman
09-24-2009, 10:40 AM
.457 round ball with .3cc unique and Polly fill is deadly to tree rats, will go clean through. The pecan wars are on , I think I am losing as there are always two replacements to every kill.

HammerMTB
09-24-2009, 10:48 AM
.457 round ball with .3cc unique and Polly fill is deadly to tree rats, will go clean through. The pecan wars are on , I think I am losing as there are always two replacements to every kill.

Hang in there, freightman, I thought the same thing when I signed "articles of war" on 'em several years ago.
There's still a few around, but not near as many. And they learn! At first they'd sit on a limb and think I was harmless. Now they run for the top of the tree and try to hide.
My reach is further than their run, tho.... 8-)

seppos
09-24-2009, 01:45 PM
I have a RCBS ball mold for my previous 44 cal Colt Navy copy. I used those round balls in triplex load for my Guide Gun with relatively good result from 50 meters.
Rabbit minute of angle was no problem.. 100 meters was too much for the load.. spreading was over 1 meter wide.
With bigger ball and maybe a cardboard wad and cream of wheat filler bitween the bullets the max distance would propably be longer.

S

Larry Gibson
09-24-2009, 02:20 PM

The Lead shot will badly lead the barrel with such a 45-70 load, I know from experience. I developed the following "foraging" load for the 45-70 for use in my TD carbine.

*Fired case not sized at all but the case mouth slightly flared.
*WLR Primer
*10 gr of Unique
*1/2 gr of dacron over the powder as a wad
*A Federal 410SC shot cup pushed hard down on the dacron with a dowel
*Fill the shot cup with #9, 8 or 7 1/2 shot to case mouth
*A .45 GC seated upside down over the shot and a crimp applied to the case mouth. The older style Lyman's work best for this if you can fid them. A heavy card wad also works if you have a means of cutting them.

Out of my H&R TD Carbine with the 22" twist this load is sufficient for ground sluicing quail to 20 yards and grouse to 25 yards or so or picking either of them off a limb. There is also no leading with the use of the shot cup. Velocity is 1160 fps out of the Carbine barrel.

BTW; the original 45-70 3 ball loads were issued as "guard" loads. As you can see from a post above they are effective to 50 yards or so against fleeing prisoners.

Larry Gibson

atlatl
09-24-2009, 05:31 PM
thanks Larry thats exactly what I was looking for - just want to pot a few of the dimmer grouse that sit in the tree and cluck at you in the interest of improving the gene pool and dinner.

beagle
09-24-2009, 05:49 PM
You'd have to be quick on the rise as that rifling spins it pretty bad and the patterns don't hold very far.

I've always wanted to try a .410 wad colum and see how that did. Probably the same problem./beagle

troy_mclure
09-26-2009, 01:54 AM
thanks guys!