PDA

View Full Version : Local Muzzleloading Shops?

jim4065
09-23-2009, 04:29 PM
We used to have a place here in town with a very good selection of tools, components, guns, etc. They went away years ago - as did the shop in Little Rock that was dedicated to "Black Powder". Now all that I see is "Modern" rifles, pellets and Pyrodex, Triple 7 and on and on.

What happened? Kinda quit going as much as I used to - mostly in consequence of buying a couple cases of BP - but did that sort of thing drive 'em out of business? Can still go to Union City and shop at Dixie, but that's an all day trip and an extra hundred bucks. Maybe too many of us are buying from GunBroker and Auction Arms? Hate to admit that an awful lot of my business goes out through the internet now - but don't see any other way to fill the needs. :confused:

09-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Have noticed perzactly the same. Used to hang out at a couple of different muzzleloader shops. Most every mid-sized town had one. Drink coffee, discuss the latest this, that or the other. NO more. Not much nostalgia/history nor deep interest in pyro pellets, stainless steel, plastic stocks, trail cams, titanium tree stand engineering and technology, GPS units, scopes and muzzle velocity. Big box stores and internet box stores have aisle after aisle of the stuff straight off the morning 747 cargo fleet out of China.

waksupi
09-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Same here, we haven't had a good ML shop in years. Used to be, you could go to a shop, and buy every part you needed to build a variety of rifles. Same at shoots. Now you seldom see the parts vendors at any of the rendezvous out here, including Nationals.

crazy mark
09-24-2009, 12:14 AM
We have a good muzzleloader shop here in Springfield. He sells on the net and at gun shows. He has branched out into regular firearms also.

Buckshot
09-24-2009, 02:57 AM
..............There was a truely excellent one about 20 miles from my house Called the Poweder Mag. 9.3x62AL was good freinds with the owner. He had ALL that stuff. All the "Rondyvous" stuff from period camping gear to deer antlers, rifles, pistols, kits and ready to go. Best was he had all the stuff to keep them going. All the little bits and pieces. If you wanted French flints, or English flints, or just flint nodules he had them. He also had BPC rifles and stuff too.

You could smoke in there and he had a table with chairs and the coffee pot was always on :-)

..............Buckshot