PDA

View Full Version : Military Record info out

TCLouis
04-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Read all the way , , , that is ALL THE WAY to the post script to get the "full story"

I just got one of the most chilling phone calls I have EVER received.
Someone called, said they traveled to Viet Nam and had a set of my Dog Tags.

He read the information off of the tag and he had my last 4 and also one bit of information that has ONLY been ONE PLACE, on the dog tags I carried there!!!
He told me he had picked them up in Saigon.

What the H is going on??

He had my home addy and said he would mail the dog tags to me. Did not solicit money.

Gave me a web site I am worried about accessing from home computer, but he seems to know too much about me already.

www.canamission.com

Any ideas???
Any spooks out there???

LouisB

PS, Thank you phone compay for *69 . . . That gave me a name, phone number, and address with a little additional web searching. Heck, I even tried the web site once I found a number, name, and address to go with the call. It would not fully load but appears to be on the UP AND UP.
The whole things seems to be up and up, but what are a "bunch" of dogtags doing in Saigon where he could just obtain them.

Really . . . REALLY freaked me til I found some validity to the story what with all of the identity theft issues and the fact that tapes were stolen by empoyees for both my government credit card and personal Visa card. NO telling what personal info was lost in those two "little" incidents.

StarMetal
04-18-2006, 08:57 PM
what's the website?

Joe

MGySgt
04-18-2006, 09:00 PM
About 2 years ago there was a lady in Sigon on business and she found some dog tags in a pawn shop/flea market.

She made it her own 'mission' to buy up all the dog tags she could find. She brought them back and started finding out where these people were and returning them to them at no charge.

At the present time I don't remember the web site, I may have it at work. I will loog tomorrow and if I find it I will post it here.

Don't know if this is the same outfit as the one I heard about. It was on Military.com for awhile. I think I have that link here. I will check it and get back.

Drew

MGySgt
04-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Here is a link to Military.com:

http://www.military.com/NL_MR/1,14852,3238,00.html

Scrounger
04-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Here's a link to a CNN story about it:

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/07/04/stiff.dog.tags.cnna/index.html

And a link to the people who have the tags:

http://www.founddogtags.com

StarMetal
04-18-2006, 09:14 PM
That website doesn't work

Joe

StarMetal
04-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Did you lose a set of dogtags in Nam?

Joe

TCLouis
04-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Star Metal
I corrected the name of the web site in my origional post.

Could not stand it and when I took a chance and attempted to log on there was NO SUCH SITE reported by my browser.
The guy did not correct me when I read back what he gave me and there was an extra s in the addy, plus a comma, not a period when I typed it. I was WAY MORE than flustered when I wrote the original message here. Also go no hits on google search with the misspelling.

NO, I still have the dog tags I had in my boots. I was NEVER in Saigon, furtherest south I got was Cam Ranh Bay (going and coming)

It was chilling for someone to call out of the blue, I thought it was some sales gimmic and he read my last 4 and one other thing that is ONLY on that set of tags.

How come they found 620 sets out of ALL of the folks that were there.

Be interesting to see where all of the people were in the country that belong to the dog tags.
I bet he took a year off of my life tonight, maybe more.

Thanx due to all that helped lay this to rest!!

TCLouis
04-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Star Metal
I corrected the name of the web site in my origional post.

Could not stand it and when I took a chance and attempted to log on there was NO SUCH SITE reported by my browser.
The guy did not correct me when I read back what he gave me and there was an extra s in the addy, plus a comma, not a period when I typed it. I was WAY MORE than flustered when I wrote the original message here. Also go no hits on google search with the misspelling.

NO, I still have the dog tags I had in my boots. I was NEVER in Saigon, furtherest south I got was Cam Ranh Bay (going and coming)

It was chilling for someone to call out of the blue, I thought it was some sales gimmic and he read my last 4 and one other thing that is ONLY on that set of tags.

How come they found 620 sets out of ALL of the folks that were there.

Be interesting to see where all of the people were in the country that belong to the dog tags.
I bet he took a year off of my life tonight, maybe more.

Mine are from a compleely different group. NOT in the "Found" site.

Thanx due to all that helped lay this to rest!!

StarMetal
04-18-2006, 10:55 PM
I logged onto the site. I couldn't find your name anywhere.

Joe

TCLouis
04-18-2006, 11:13 PM
On is the foundtags, and the other is the canamission site in my original post. I have yet to get it to fully load, but assume he has limited bandwidth.

Frank46
04-19-2006, 04:08 AM
I still have my navy boot camp issue tags. So if anyone calls me up I'll definitely know somethings funny. Frank

C1PNR
04-20-2006, 01:49 PM
This is truly a WAG, but I'd guess the information was found in some records and/or equipment left behind in the Embassy or one of the Military Headquarters.

It's scary to contemplate the vast amount of personnel data that was abandoned in the haste to "get out of Dodge."

TCLouis
04-20-2006, 07:31 PM
Included in the original post is some new info. The ENTIRE orininal should be read now if one has not done that. Going to the two web sites in that post will provide information!

Frank46
The only place the infromation (NOT my last 4) has ever been is ON THE DOG TAGS ISSUED TO ME IN BOOT CAMP CARRIED OVERSEAS and I still have both of them (well at least the ones "issued to me).
NOW you know why I came unglued at the call.

C1PNR
He had the set of dog tags in his hands as he called!!

Though if these dog tags from all of these folks were left in country, then one should be concerned what other information was left there.

ONE IMPORTANT THIS IS THAT THE SITE(S) ARE REAL AND THE CALL WAS ON THE UP AND UP.

Another important thig is that important information may be released years later WHEN IT IS POORLY PROTECTED.

Note the "recent" loss of computer storage devices containing credit card info by Visa center in AZ and the bank that issued the federal military credit cards.

I had info on BOTH of those, so am MORE than a little sensitive about people having identity information.