PDA

View Full Version : Rotometals... USPS worst nightmare.

O.S.O.K.
09-23-2009, 09:36 AM
So I ordered some alloys from Rotometals - everything went smoothly and they have great communication, etc.

Well, I get the shipping notification and I notice that they are using USPS - Priority Mail.

That's when I got a chuckle. :holysheep

This is the USPS's worst nightmare as far as a "if it fits, it ships" customer [smilie=l:

I can just see them moving this Priority Mail package through the system "geeze, what's this? Lead bricks? [smilie=1:

HeavyMetal
09-23-2009, 09:42 AM
For the most part I've rarely had a problem with the USPS shipping.

Yes some package's will get a little bent and that ticks you off but the honest truth is it doesn't matter which company ships it it's the people that handle the package that make or break a delivery.

Considering the weight I wouldn't have a problem if they left me a notice to come pick it up.

Let us know how it arrives.

Stick_man
09-23-2009, 09:51 AM
I have found that the USPS does actually treat the heavier packages a little more carefully than the lighter ones. Probably because they are too heavy to throw around like ragdolls. After shipping many boxes weighing 65-68lbs each, when my post office sees me coming now, they almost automatically grab the hand cart for me.

I have heard of only one of my boxes bursting any seams/corners in the last year. Overall, I have been pleased with the flat rate box shipping. Gets across the country in only 2-3 days without the cost of UPS.

jonk
09-23-2009, 10:38 AM
I got some pure lead sheet via USPS. The shipper wrote on it 'caution, heavy'. Someone in the post office system added to that, "yeah, no shi*" with red marker. I didn't know whether ot be offended or amused.

sargenv
09-23-2009, 10:44 AM
I've received numerous heavy boxes from a bunch of different people and as long as it is packaged right, it gets here.. I've not been so lucky with the other carriers.

fredj338
09-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I have found that the USPS does actually treat the heavier packages a little more carefully than the lighter ones. Probably because they are too heavy to throw around like ragdolls. After shipping many boxes weighing 65-68lbs each, when my post office sees me coming now, they almost automatically grab the hand cart for me.

I have heard of only one of my boxes bursting any seams/corners in the last year. Overall, I have been pleased with the flat rate box shipping. Gets across the country in only 2-3 days without the cost of UPS.

I imagine it will vary w/ the individual PO in your area, but several 50#+ boxes I have had have either been delivered broken in a plastic bin or a note left for me to come & get it.

257 Shooter
09-23-2009, 11:00 AM
I have gotten several 50+ lbs flat rate boxes and they have all come in just fine. It is hard to mess up lead ingots if they are packed properly and Rotometals does a good job of packing.

desteve811
09-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I got some pure lead sheet via USPS. The shipper wrote on it 'caution, heavy'. Someone in the post office system added to that, "yeah, no shi*" with red marker. I didn't know whether ot be offended or amused.

[smilie=l:

Freightman
09-23-2009, 12:02 PM
My post person delivered a 60# + box to me and offered to sit it in the house, no it goes to the back and I will take it, but thank you I said. The box was probably 3/4+ her weight. Sorry some have problems but I do not have a problem with USPS or UPS, or FedX, guess I am lucky.

mdi
09-23-2009, 12:09 PM
I guess in LA the mailmen (or mail-persons) aren't as dedicated as elsewhere. I am only getting 50% of my heavy (mostly lead) pkgs delivered in tact by USPS. One one occasion the mailman dropped the pkg on the ground and rolled it the 25 feet to my door. One pkg started out at 50 lbs. but when I got it it weighed 42 lbs. The only response from the mail-person was "I guess you can file a report, if you wanted to go to all that trouble but that's the way I got it (the pkg.) this morning."[smilie=b:

Hip's Ax
09-23-2009, 12:14 PM

ROFLMAO!!! :lol:

troy_mclure
09-23-2009, 12:22 PM
i try not to ship thru USPS, gotten burned too many times on sending/receiving times.

while its true that every carrier "mangles"/looses packages, its what they do about it that really counts.

ive had 2 things lost/ 1 missing thru ups, all paid for by ups within a week.

was told by USPS regional manager "we do not in any way guarantee delivery" after a $$$ was lost, with tracking & insurance, that they never paid.

Zbench
09-23-2009, 12:29 PM
We like to push the limit at LeadandBrass.com. Our packing system uses flat rate boxes and that pink foam used in house insulation. We strap the ingots together with polyester strapping, then cut the foam to completely fill the box around the ingots. Top that off with a couple of straps on the outside and you have something that even the USPS can't mangle. Reports to TX and beyond indicate that the box shows up looking great.

The post office loves it when I come in. There is one guy there who is a body builder and he always give me a hard time when it's not a 68# plus package! I'm not sure the guys in the back are as enthusiastic.

Bottom line, you can ship upwards of 68#s in a box, just have to pack it right. I could probably go to 69#, but the box sometimes weighs a pound, and don't want to push it too close!

Pete

randyrat
09-23-2009, 04:54 PM
I would really get a kick out of a "preperation H" sticker on the outside of those heavy USPS boxes. Instead of "HEAVY"

evan price
09-24-2009, 01:01 AM
Back when I used to buy boolits from a caster, I bought in flat-rate box lots of around 10,000 pieces to get the best deals.

One day my USPS carrier drives into my driveway (I live in a rural area and my mailbox is actually at the end of my road, not on my driveway) and start carrying flat-rate boxes to the porch- 4 of them, all around 65# each. He sets the last one down and says "Whew, what's in them, lead?"

I cracked open a box and showed him yes, indeedy, it is lead. He was at first not amused, then he laughed.

XWrench3
09-24-2009, 06:43 AM
my experience with the usps flat rate shipping has been good also. but your right, they have to say,"oh, not again"! when ever they go to rotometals to pick up. but, it is part of their job. my local postman, brings these packages right to my door for me. cant beat that, not even with a stick!

mroliver77
09-24-2009, 07:21 AM
I live down a 1/8 mile lane on a rural route. I told my mail lady when heavy packages come she can call me and I will pick them up at the PO. nope she brings them to my house. She even totes them to my porch! I told her to just roll them out in the yard and I will get them. Next time there it is on my porch. I ship from a small town PO as the folks are much friendlier there than at the county seat. I never tell them there is LEAD in the package as I know someone will eventually whine about shipping toxic materials. "Machine parts" is all I ship.
Jay

Wayne Smith
09-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Each time we have moved long distance (last time 15 years ago) we have sent boxes of books book rate - the cheapest way to move books. Same thing, 70 lb weight limit. Liquor store boxes will hold about 65lbs of books. We shiped 12 boxes of books last time we moved, don't want to imagine what it would be now.

I have always picked them up at the PO. I never expected them to be delivered.

Just Duke
09-24-2009, 07:58 AM
And then you have those that refuse to deliver them.........http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=62468

cajun shooter
09-24-2009, 09:17 AM
I've had everything from perfect boxes arrive to ones that are "torn open". The open boxes were done on purpose, it's easy to see that it was intentional. I have one seller that I buy lead from that double boxes his lead and then duct tapes the entire box. I have never received one of his boxes that was open. He puts "HEAVY" in big letters on the boxes. I would have to laugh if I ever received one like the poster above with no s--t on it.

Nate1778
09-24-2009, 10:06 AM
I love it when USPS shows with bullets or lead. Last lead order I had was 50# or so in this little box. Brings it in, "Jesus, what's in that lead" ,"Yep".

odoh
09-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Only adverse USPS experience has been my w/Rotometals shipment. It went the wrong way ~ took awhile, but eventually, it did arrive. They're less than 100miles away.

dsmjon
09-24-2009, 10:22 AM
One of the few bonuses of being out of work for nearly 2 years.. I've gotten to know my USPS route driver! Before hand, I'd be lucky if the mailbox was closed on a rainy day. Now it doesn't matter if a package is 2oz. or 70lbs, he'll back the truck right up to the porch and set it off for me. If I happen to be in the garage reloading, he'll put the packages wherever I ask.

OTHO, when I go down to the office (very very small PO, in a town that has quadrupled in population in ~ 3yrs). It is UNCOMMON to not have the line outside and heading down the sidewalk, only to find one person working the counter. Reminds me of going into China-Mart, 500 cash registers running the length of the store, only 2 cashiers working.... 200 people trying to check out at the same time. Not one person giving a rat's a$$

azrednek
09-24-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm retired from the USPS. I spent a good portion of my career pounding the pavement. I suggest you remember your carrier at Christmas time and hand him\her a 5 or dollar bill.

wallenba
09-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Waiting for a delivery right now. E-mail notification that it is out for delivery, but I got my regular mail about 2 hours ago, still no metal. Do they use a different system for packages?

largecaliberman
09-24-2009, 01:56 PM
I must have shipped at least 10 tons of lead recovered from an indoor shooting range that I accumulated over the years. I would stamp the boxes HEAVY with big bold letters. In one of the shipments, a gentlemen ordered 1500 lbs and shipped them in 33 flat rate boxes. The mail person (woman) loaded it in the back of her son's small Nissan truck (it couldn't fit in her USPS Jeep so she had to call her son to help) and it chugged up my steep driveway. The next shippment, the gal glarred at me and said---- "..what he hell you have in these boxes..LEAD..!!!" I looked her and said yes then with a loud voice she said "WHAT!!!".

BTW: I stopped selling my stash as soon as I found out that lead was in short supply.