PDA

View Full Version : savage muzzleloader

canuck4570
09-21-2009, 11:01 PM
can you tell me before I buy this gun if the rumors that I heard a true that it as blown up a few time injuring the shooter
thank you

DGV
09-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Buy it and enjoy. Do some reading over at the Savage forum. A guy by the name of Randy Wakeman has done a ton of testing wiyh the savage muzzleloader. You would have a hard time blowing one up. Hot loads do go through veniners quickly. You still should get 100+ shots from one ventliner. Overall, a great gun.

smoked turkey
09-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Savage has done a nice job on this gun. It has the wonderful accra-trigger and it is a very accurate gun to shoot. I like not having to clean right a way after a session with it. The gun is built like a tank. That said I have more fun shooting my side locks with patched ball and maxi's. But back to the issue...buy the Savage and enjoy.

waksupi
09-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Savage has done a nice job on this gun. It has the wonderful accra-trigger and it is a very accurate gun to shoot. I like not having to clean right a way after a session with it. The gun is built like a tank. That said I have more fun shooting my side locks with patched ball and maxi's. But back to the issue...buy the Savage and enjoy.

If you are shooting BP substitutes, you really need to clean it immediately. Those powders are much more corrosive than black powder, and will ruin guns in short order.

10 ga
09-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Several of the guys I hunt with have had Savage ML for several years. I have shot them at the range quite a bit. WOW! Do they ever shoot! I have several MLs both inline and hammer guns, but just purchased a Savage ML II. Haven't shot it yet but tricking it out first. I have seen almost no info on the Savage here on this board as this is a boolit board. Check out
http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com This board seems to have the most complete and comprehensive info on the Savage. You'll see the depth of the info when you get there. I just ordered a mold from one of this board sponsors, BRP custom molds, to cast boolits for my Savage. With the price of smokeless vs. BP replacements and casting my own boolits I figure I'll save enough to have paid for the gun in about 2 years. The price difference is about $1 a shot. I will have saved enough for the whole setup: gun, mounts and rings, scope, bedding job etc... and boolit mold in about 2 years or less. Just as an example, Blackhorne 209 is $40 per 10 oz. and you get about 40 to 50 shots. With the Savage shooting smokeless, 4759 is $22 lb.+-, and you get about 160 +- shots. You do the math! I'll update in a couple weeks after a couple of range sessions. Best O Luck! 10 ga

bob208
09-23-2009, 06:44 PM
and real b-p powder cost is $!2 a lb. at 70 gr. a shot that is 100 shots to the lb. you do the math.

any time you are talking about saving $1 a shot for a muzzleloader you are apending way too much on gadagets. and need to get back to the begining.

rob45
09-23-2009, 08:16 PM
can you tell me before I buy this gun if the rumors that I heard a true that it as blown up a few time injuring the shooter
thank you

This guy is a Savage ML fanatic; he has a lot of info.

http://www.randywakeman.com/

I do not own one of these but plan to in the near future. I would assume it can blow up like any other gun that is improperly loaded.

10 ga
09-28-2009, 01:02 PM
and real b-p powder cost is $!2 a lb. at 70 gr. a shot that is 100 shots to the lb. you do the math.

any time you are talking about saving $1 a shot for a muzzleloader you are apending way too much on gadagets. and need to get back to the begining.

I'm not talking gadgets, just the typical sporting shop sales job. Just compare the price of BP substitutes, white hots=$24 for 35 shots or 209 Blackhorn = $40 for 10 OZ. Then $20 for a pack of 15 bubble packed boolits.

Just the powder and boolit comes to $1.80+ per shot.

Thats why I shoot Holy Black, cut my own patches and cast my own boolits. That makes it $.25 per shot.
With the Savage a powder charge is $.13, sabot $.08 and cast boolit.

Just as in the early days of R&R, "Come on Baby, Light My Fire".

10 ga

staceyporter
10-13-2010, 11:20 PM
I have one and was concerned over the pics going around also, I emailed Randy Wakeman as he touted this gun pretty highly in one of his articles. He assured me that you would have to try and try hard to get one to do what they are showing on the internet. hey it's the internet it got to be real right?? Anyway long story short, it's a bunch of propaganda by a disgruntled employee!!

Elkins45
10-16-2010, 02:31 PM
It's the last muzzleloader I will ever need.

I just came back from dropping a doe with mine at 42 yards. I used a home cast 300 grain pure lead 45 caliber pistol boolit in a Hornady sabot over 42 grains of 4227. I have owned it for about 8 years now and have cleaned it once. It still puts every shot in the 10 ring at 100 yards. That's good enough for me.