PDA

View Full Version : Magma Master Caster Vid

finishman2000
09-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Before I bought mine I really couldn't find any vid's online to help me tp purchase it. Seems some love it and others aren't impressed.
This way those interested can see how it works. Just remember that I'm casting with my right han d and recording with my left. try doing that with your molds lol.

I really like it and find it to be almost boring. I warm up the molds with a torch for 20 sec and then throw the lever 4 or 5 times then put the water bucket in place and cast away. Every boolit is perfect and after an hour or two i'm no worse for wear. I used to use H&G 6 cavity 38cal wadcutter abd i would cast till i couldn't pick it up anymore.
Yes the h&g might have been more per hour but i'm not shot with the mastercaster. I tried the Lee 6 cavities but hated them. very temp sensitive and rarely got 6 good one with a pour. It just added time at the end going through the heads picking out the bad ones (usually the last one in the mold)
Anyway take a look....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyXGQp0oolQ

No_1
09-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Nice vid. I am moving toward the idea of a casting machine and hopefully will have one by end of year.

Robert

AbitNutz
09-21-2009, 08:23 PM
I want to thank you for posting that vid. I should have bought one of those years ago...now that the price has doubled I'll likely do just that because of your vid. I just couldn't picture how it worked.

Does it fill both mold cavities at once? I didn't see you move it to fill each independently.

KYCaster
09-21-2009, 08:27 PM
...Seems some love it and others aren't impressed.

I really like it and find it to be almost boring.

Nice set up Finishman, and a well made video. You can get very consistant results with that machine and can equal or excede any other method using a two cavity mold.

But......I'm one of those who aren't impressed. To say it's almost boring is the understatement of the century. Pour...wait...cut, drop...pour...wait...cut, drop... pour...waaaaaaiiiiiiiittttttttt...cut, drop...pour...waaaaaiiiiiiiittaaarrrrrrgggggg, I can't stand it!!!!!!! [smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

But that's just me. :coffee: Some guys seem to really like it. I can't tell you why I prefer hours on end with a six cav mold...or a pair of two or fours, but to me there's no comparison. I sold my Master Caster years ago and don't miss it.

As always YMMV. Thanks for letting me vent.
Jerry

finishman2000
09-21-2009, 08:55 PM
I want to thank you for posting that vid. I should have bought one of those years ago...now that the price has doubled I'll likely do just that because of your vid. I just couldn't picture how it worked.

Does it fill both mold cavities at once? I didn't see you move it to fill each independently.

yup drops both at once

finishman2000
09-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Nice set up Finishman, and a well made video. You can get very consistant results with that machine and can equal or excede any other method using a two cavity mold.

But......I'm one of those who aren't impressed. To say it's almost boring is the understatement of the century. Pour...wait...cut, drop...pour...wait...cut, drop... pour...waaaaaaiiiiiiiittttttttt...cut, drop...pour...waaaaaiiiiiiiittaaarrrrrrgggggg, I can't stand it!!!!!!! [smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

But that's just me. :coffee: Some guys seem to really like it. I can't tell you why I prefer hours on end with a six cav mold...or a pair of two or fours, but to me there's no comparison. I sold my Master Caster years ago and don't miss it.

As always YMMV. Thanks for letting me vent.
Jerry

I really don't wait that long...I made a "wind funnel" that I took off for the vid so you could see in the pouring area. I made it out of corragated plastic and funnels the total air flow right onto the sprue. I found the fan kinda misses the mold so i angled the funnel to really get it cool quick.

runfiverun
09-21-2009, 09:12 PM
you put a plate and a tube down to the top of the sprues and a tenager on redbull can run a 9mm mold so fast it'll make your eyes water.
i converted my other pot to a stand and use it on two and 4 cav molds it fills them quickly and evenly with the two pour spouts.
the 429421 4 ca i just line up and dag through the two streams [thing of beauty] and no cold holes to deal with.

AbitNutz
09-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Seriously, the ca-chunk, clunk, splash as he runs the handle back and forth like he's jacking up a car just appeals to the absolutely brainless part of me. That's why I have a Star lubrisizer with a heated base and feed tube.

If I want to pay really, really close attention to loading ammo I break out my RCBS green machine...that is a pay attention or die machine.

finishman2000
09-22-2009, 09:45 PM
wait till next week when i do my Ballisti-cast luber sizer vid! even more brainless lol

squid1230
09-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Finishman - I'm having a hard time imagining how the mold splits at the bottom of the cranking cycle and drops the bullets. Also, from your vid it looks as though the sprue cuttings and bullets get dropped down the same hole, but then separate somehow into two buckets. Can you describe?

Cheers

finishman2000
09-23-2009, 11:24 AM
the base has a divider in it that when the mold bottoms out the sprue gets thrown to the front and the boolits to the rear. the mold halves are spring loaded together and on the way down they are forced open. real simple operation.

Plain Base
09-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Great video Finishman. If money was no object, and I was more into shooting than casting, then that setup would be great. Otherwise it looks like the commercial setup that it is. Being commercial, means fast, efficient, repeatable, and boring. Reminds me of that phrase, "it's called 'work' for a reason." Very slick setup though. Thanks for sharing

finishman2000
09-23-2009, 02:08 PM
here is a vid of the divider, you can see how it works.
Also my home made wind funnel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzgHRJ63Xjs

squid1230
09-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Great vids - thank you!

Humbo
09-24-2009, 06:07 AM
Can you use any brand of molds with this machine? Sweet setup, I want one.

Gunslinger
09-24-2009, 06:32 AM
I actually think it's pretty cool. I think I'm able to cast about the same amount using two 3-cav molds.... but this Magma creation definately looks easier! But after shipping, import taxes and so on I think It'll probably be close to $1500 before it reaches Denmark.... and that's A LOT of primers and powder....

finishman2000
09-24-2009, 10:51 AM

magma will convert over any steel 2 cavity mold for a modest fee. I think it's $35

fredj338
09-24-2009, 02:34 PM

I did buy one years ago when they were less tyhan $500. I like it, but it isn't any faster than a good 4 or 6cav mold. It does allow ytou to cast for hours w/o tiring & that is it's best attribute IMO.:cbpour:

fredj338
09-24-2009, 02:36 PM
magma will convert over any steel 2 cavity mold for a modest fee. I think it's $35

It's actually like $55 now, I just sent them a RCBS 150grSWC to convert. I am selling a Saeco 160grTC if someone wants it? I am not using 38sp anymore for CAS. ($75 delivered).

Most 2cav iron molds will work. I have had RCBS, Lyman & Saeco converted.

runfiverun
09-24-2009, 10:33 PM
i usually have to grind a bit on the sprue cutter to get the rcbs molds to dop better.
they catch just on the edge of the boolit.

angus6
10-02-2009, 07:53 PM
wait till next week when i do my Ballisti-cast luber sizer vid! even more brainless lol

BTT for the Ballisti - cast video , waitting to see one in action verses a Magma/Star [smilie=s:

finishman2000
10-02-2009, 08:21 PM
well the fact that my star is for sale must say something lol.

angus6
10-02-2009, 08:55 PM
is the rotary feed wheel auto or manually indexed ?

finishman2000
10-02-2009, 09:09 PM
manual but i had my machinest put another 5 holes in the disk so there is very little movement to drop a bullet. they will be making a change in there disk after seeing mine. i think they are going with 6 now which makes more sence to do an even number, this way a bullet drops from the feed and into the die at the same time. before it would be like double clutching and wasn't smooth. They called mine a gataling gun lol.

angus6
10-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I thought it was manual , that was what held me back from it as I was after the auto feed for volume. Figured the ballisti would way out last the magma
really am waitting to see the vid

11b
10-03-2009, 03:08 AM
Hello casters. I am new to the forum but it seems like a cool place so here I go!
I have a master caster and love it, but have some trouble with bullets hanging up in a RCBS 201 45 cal. FB Mould. Any suggestions? BTW I casted about 6000 boolits in 12 hours or so including set up, so I think its pretty quik, other than beating the bullets out of the moulds with the handle. My throw back into the pot ratio is very low and I cast (according to my thermoter) to a temp of 675. I just wish the Boolits would drop out of the mould better. Do they drop easier with magma moulds?
Cool forum, wish I would have found it earlier.

angus6
10-03-2009, 05:29 AM
11b are you using any mold release ?

Throckmorton
10-03-2009, 10:45 AM
I could be really :) being 'bored' by a machine like that.thanks for the video.

11b
10-04-2009, 03:32 AM
Angus 6, yeah I use a release but if I use to much I get wrinkeled boolits. So I think it maybe a temperature issue, what do you think? I wonder if I am casting too hot? Thanks for the help.

Harmon_Greer
12-16-2009, 12:36 AM
spray the mould with a dry film moly lube. i use McLube 1708 and it does not affect bullet size or appearance. bullets just drop out of even troublesome moulds.

Harmon