PDA

View Full Version : Sizing dies from scrap

KCSO
09-21-2009, 03:19 PM
I needed a die to size 38-55 slugs the other day so I turned out a couple dies and pistons from scrap in the shop. I use old rifle dies that I pick up at garage sales and such and for pistons I use old 22 barrels from rebarreled rifles.

The process is easy just anneal the dies by heating them cherry red for a minuite and then let them air cool or slip them into wood ash till cool. Drill your cavity to the closest drill size and ream to finish size. I bought a set of expansible reamers from Harbor Freight a few years ago and if you keep them sharp and use cutting oil they will last for a lot of work. I like to have a sizing section in the die about 1/2" lond and a tapered leade and a relieved section at the end for bullet release. The only thing critical here is the sizing chamber and I will start reaming that undersize and ream up till I get it where I need it. If I just need a thou or less for the finish I lap with a split dowell and 250 paper.

The pistons I turn from old 22 barrels and I like a loose slip fit here say 2 thou clearance. I don't bother to re harden the dies after they are made as I have one that is 20 years and many thousand bullets old and unhardened it still drops the lead bullets right on spec. If I did reharden I would coat the innards with lamp black and heat to bright red and quench in oil (ATF)

Charlie Sometimes
09-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Sounds like fun!
I wish I had a place for some of the fancy equipment, that lots of you guys got.
Then I'd have and excuse to buy more toys!

NSP64
09-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Never made any from scrap, but I have turned a few into scrap:cry:

joatmon
09-22-2009, 10:44 PM
KCSO are you talking turned down on the outside also or are you making push through's for a loading press? Both sound interesting though.
Thanks Aaron

Charlie Sometimes
09-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Hey, I measured an old 1975 RCBS 38 Spl sizing die this afternoon, and found it to be 0.377" at the mouth- that would be about perfect for 38-55 boolits.
All you would have to do is drill out the top for a relief area, after annealing!

Made a chamber cast of the same die today- 0.370" at the top, and randomly checked a few taper points- 0.377", 0.374", 0.372", etc.

It has enough taper to have a built-in lead taper, and enough extra material to ream and polish out to 0.376", and drill out the top threaded area for a relief area.

I think I will try this one of these days.
Got to find a reamer..............