PDA

View Full Version : Felt

WickedGoodOutdoors
09-21-2009, 08:49 AM
I just picked up a hudge "Fun Pak" of felt squares abot 8x10" at a local junk store for $2.50

Im thinking of mixing 50% beeswax & 50% parrafin/assorted candle wax with a dash of vegtable oil and soaking the felt in it. Then hole punching .50" felts for the muzzle loader.

1 or 2 pieces between the powder and the maxiball

Has anyone done this. Any benifit from it

sturf
09-21-2009, 10:57 AM
If anyone needs felt to make wads, there is a lady that has a felt business out of her house and sells all kinds of felt. Very good communication and fast shipping. Her address is: www.durafelt.com.

SciFiJim
09-21-2009, 11:03 AM
I don't have a muzzle loader, but have a question? How would you keep the felt patches square to the barrel. Perhaps I am wrong, but I was under the impression that the patch had to come around the maxiball to work effectively.

PatMarlin
09-21-2009, 11:16 AM
I need a little to replace the felt on my machine ways,. That link no workey sturf.

09-21-2009, 11:51 AM
I use it quite a bit for MLs. One secret I've found is to use the 1/8" thick stuff in "hard". It comes in several densities. The "hard" is most useful in most loadings. The 1/8" thickness is enough to keep it aligned as it is pushed down the bore. Of course for BPCR most any thickness can work. I use the cheapo, off color stuff when available. And for machine lubricating purposes and others this company has many different thicknesses and densities. Here's a link to the small outfit I use. They are very nice folks and they know who we are!
http://durofelt.com/image_26.html

leftiye
09-21-2009, 11:53 AM
I cut .45 and .58 cal wads out of 5/16" Alcan Feltan Bluestreak wads and saturate them with Natural lube 1000. It provides a hydraulic gas seal, and protects the boolit from gas cutting. I clean between shots, put the powder down, seat a wad over the powder, seat the boolit, and then lube the bore with a patch soaked in Rem. Tri-flow. The boolits are plain conicals (with ogive) and no grooves sized to fit the bore snugly - won't move, but will seat. It's the most accurate system I've found in a ML. Max loads are necessary to obturate the boolit as the wad softens the BP shock.

AZ-Stew
09-21-2009, 05:08 PM
The reason Sturf's link doesn't work is because he has "www.durAfelt.com", whereas the proper spelling is "www.durOfelt.com".

Regards,

Stew

montana_charlie
09-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Perhaps I am wrong, but I was under the impression that the patch had to come around the maxiball to work effectively.
Yes, you are wrong. No perhaps about it.
Only 'round balls' get wrapped in a cloth patch.
Maxiballs work like any other grease grooved bullet.
CM

Maven
09-21-2009, 07:39 PM
SciFiJim, Maxi-Ball accuracy is sometimes enhanced with a cardboard disk (writing tablet backing) between its base and the powder charge. A hard felt disk would probably have the same effect.

SciFiJim
09-21-2009, 08:48 PM
That's what I like about CastBoolits, I can always learn something new.

Buckshot
09-22-2009, 01:39 AM
http://www.durofelt.com/index.html

..................Buckshot

Wayne Smith
09-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Make sure it is wool felt, not man made fiber. Both are available. Most of the 'felt' you get in the craft store is man made. I use wool felt weather stripping soaked in lube in my C&B revolvers. Whole lot cheaper than the purchased kind!

Junior1942
09-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Send me a SASE with 84¢ postage on it, and I'll send free samples of my 1/2" x 1/8" or 1/2" x 1/16" wool felt wads. Address in link.