PDA

View Full Version : 1941 Springfield 03 W/ Cartridge Adapter

SharpsShooter
04-17-2006, 06:11 PM
I just recently acquired a 1941 Springfield 03 from Moodyholler. (Thanks BTW:mrgreen: ) It has a 308 cartridge adapter in it and I have never used one of these and really would rather it was an 06. Moodyholler tells me that they can be removed with a stuck case remover and I’m sure he is correct, but I do not have any such critter in my tool kit. Does anyone here have an alternate method? This is the 03 he posted about some time ago. It is in a garand stock and bedded with 3 pounds of acraglass. I'm going to restock it in a respectable sporter fashion when time allows and with it's pristine bore, it should be a cast boolit shooter.

Thanks

:coffeecom

Scrounger
04-17-2006, 07:13 PM
I just recently acquired a 1941 Springfield 03 from Moodyholler. (Thanks BTW:mrgreen: ) It has a 308 cartridge adapter in it and I have never used one of these and really would rather it was an 06. Moodyholler tells me that they can be removed with a stuck case remover and I’m sure he is correct, but I do not have any such critter in my tool kit. Does anyone here have an alternate method? This is the 03 he posted about some time ago. It is in a garand stock and bedded with 3 pounds of acraglass. I'm going to restock it in a respectable sporter fashion when time allows and with it's pristine bore, it should be a cast boolit shooter.

Thanks

:coffeecom

You can buy the GI Broken Shell Extractors fairly cheap at a lot of gunshows, you can also buy a commercial model from Brownels. You can also try this: Put a stiff .30 caliber brush on a cleaning rod and insert it a little ways through the action, bolt removed, of course. Just push the in so that only half of it goes beyond the chamber, then try to withdraw the brush. Hopefully the bristles will catch the front end of the chamber insert and it will come out on the brush. I have withdrawn ruptured cases this way, it might work with the chamber insert.

versifier
04-17-2006, 07:36 PM
It depends on whether or not the adaptor was set with epoxy. If not, it should come out easy, but if you are installing one, you don't want it coming out easy. (If we had some eggs we could have ham and eggs if we had some ham....) If it's epoxied, a heat gun might do it, if not, a propane torch carefully applied under the chamber will. The broken shell extractor is still a must have tool though.

fiberoptik
05-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Whatcha gonna do with the adapter after it's removed???:mrgreen:

mooman76
05-04-2006, 11:15 AM
I remember these adapters for sale in shotgun news years ago! Back then I wanted one but not so sure today. I don't know if they still sell them or not but I remember they had a special tool you could buy to remove the insert!

SharpsShooter
05-04-2006, 02:54 PM
After I get it out.....when I find time and a broken shell extractor......I'll likely put it on the "Swappin or Sellin" section cheap.