PDA

View Full Version : Star Lube Sizer?

Muddy Creek Sam
09-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Ok folks,

As alway, read, read, read and then when you are throughly confused ask dumb questions. If I understand it correctly, the sizer comes without punches and sizers, and I assume it is much cheaper to contact lathesmith. If I am only doing BP lube, Do I need a heater? What accessories would you recommend for a small scale operation?

Thanks,

Sam :D

ph4570
09-19-2009, 11:57 AM
As I recall my Magma Star came with a punch. Dies are additional. Get punches and dies from Lathesmith. Need for heater depends on ambient temp and lube hardness. I got the heater at the same time as the sizer. I did not opt for the air pressure or boolit feeder attachments and do not lust for either given my moderate production level.

MtGun44
09-20-2009, 12:10 AM
All of the BP lubes that I am familiar with are soft at room temp, so no heater would
be needed. If you have some BP lube that is hard at RT, then you may need to heat it
to get it to flow well. You can order whatever dies and top punches that you want when
you order a new Star, but Lathesmith's dies are excellent quality and much less expensive.

Bill

cajun shooter
09-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Sam, I'm sending you a PM on this.

plumber
09-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Can someone please give me the height on the top of the air feeder installed on a Star heater?

20nickels
09-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Can someone please give me the height on the top of the air feeder installed on a Star heater?

It's down at my shop, but it adds at least 13-14" to the height of the sizer.

cajun shooter
09-21-2009, 08:58 AM
21 1/2 in from table top

Muddy Creek Sam
09-21-2009, 09:42 AM
21 1/2 in from table top

cajun shooter,

Is that extra $100 worth it?

ph4570
09-21-2009, 10:15 AM
cajun shooter,

Is that extra $100 worth it?

A lyman heater can be had at Midway for $45.99. The description says it is drilled for Star as well as Lyman, RCBS...

Disadvantages of the Lyman vs. Star:
1) no on/off switch -- not a big deal
2) no temperature control -- a big deal in my opinion
3) will not accommodate the Star auto bullet feeder should one want to add later

In my opinion the Magma heater is worth $100.

plumber
09-21-2009, 10:34 AM
21 1/2 in from table top

Thank you very much

Muddy Creek Sam
09-21-2009, 10:54 AM
A lyman heater can be had at Midway for $45.99. The description says it is drilled for Star as well as Lyman, RCBS...

Disadvantages of the Lyman vs. Star:
1) no on/off switch -- not a big deal
2) no temperature control -- a big deal in my opinion
3) will not accommodate the Star auto bullet feeder should one want to add later

In my opinion the Magma heater is worth $100.

ph4570,

I was actually asking about the airfeeder, I use soft BP lube that shouldn't need a heater.

ph4570
09-21-2009, 11:18 AM
ph4570,

I was actually asking about the airfeeder, I use soft BP lube that shouldn't need a heater.

Ah, for some reason I had heater on the brain.

Calehedron
09-21-2009, 12:32 PM
I personally like the air feed. I dont have to crank anything and it keeps a steady consistant pressure. The shovel handle is also a very nice upgrade. It puts your hand in a natural position and the handle rolls cutting down on friction on the palm and fingers.

KYCaster
09-21-2009, 09:36 PM
I agree with Bill(again)...BP lubes shouldn't need a heater. I don't know if this will help but Bullshop Speed Green doesn't need heat and Lar's Carnauba Red needs a little bit of heat, but will work very well with a hair drier/light bulb. Harder lubes like Magma, Thompson's, Rooster Red will work best with a heater.

The air option is nice for high volumn production, but you can easily do 1000 per hour with the basic machine, so it just becomes a matter of personal preference. Same with the bullet feeder...some guys swear by it, I found that it slows me down considerably.

I haven't used the shovel handle, but I can see how that would be a worthwhile addition. That file handle they put on it will definitely put some calluses on your hand.

I don't know what style of boolit you intend to size and lube, but very large or multiple lube grooves can be a problem. Something like the "Big Lube" bullets may require a double-pump to completely fill the groove. Very long, multiple groove rifle bullets like the Loverin's or some of the Saeco BP styles are just too long to lube in one pass. Either lube part of the grooves in one pass then reset the top punch for the remaining grooves and run them all through again or lube the front grooves then put in a piece of wood dowel cut to the proper length and pump the handle again to lube the bottom grooves.

I hope you're happy with your new Star.
Jerry