PDA

View Full Version : Guide gun on layaway yesterday

Jeff Davis
09-19-2009, 02:46 AM
I finally got out of the house yesterday, away from wife and 3 sick toddlers, and went to a few of the local shops. One was closed, another didn't have much new except for some US receiver AKs, but the 3rd time was the charm, as the old saying goes.

Found 3 orphans needing a good home. One is a Rem 700 Tactical 308 with rings, bases, and a Hogue overmold stock. Used but I can't see how. $590 and tax

A 4 in Springfield Armory Champion 45 ACP. $560 and tax, getting warmer!

Finally, an older model Marlin 1895GG with ported barrel. Came with a bag attached containing the original sights, a Weaver base plate, and a funny looking rod.

I look closer at the gun now and find an XS ghost ring sight set installed. The rod is to trade out apertures (a 2nd one is in the bag as well).

Getting breathless with anticipation and fear, I turn over the price tag. I about fell out when I saw $475 and you guessed it, tax. I had to clutch the counter for
support when the lady behind the counter said they had a 90 day layaway!

With a slight tearing in my eye (dang allergies!) I had just enough in my stash to make the downpayment! [smilie=w:

Best of all, the wife said she didn't care! Gawd I love her!

I can't freakin' wait, it's the set up I have always wanted, and I am ready to cast up some 350s and some 405s to pass the time.

I'm going back this morning to try and trade into the Springfield so wish me luck!

cajun shooter
09-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Jeff Davis, It sounds as if you came upon a jewel of a store. In this day and time to find prices in the range that you stated is a gold mine. Must be some nice common folk who are not looking to get rich off every customer that walks through the door. Congrats on your find

Jim
09-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Ya' done good, Bubba!

dubber123
09-19-2009, 08:08 AM
My brothers GG shoots cast wonderfully. If yours does as well, you will be a happy man! Those XS sight sets aren't cheap either. Good deal.

dsmjon
09-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Geez man, drive up here. There is one pawn store in town that literally has 15-20 lever guns on the shelves. I can't recall the specs, as I didn't want to pick it up (price tag was over $1800IIRC). Certainly a vintage rifle, MUCH older than I. The only problem is they are a slow-overturn pawn shop, which means NO trades and moody to non-existant bartering/negotiating.

I can't bring myself to go back in there for fear they still have that .357mag or .44mag LR. My wife doesn't care if I drop $3g's on a camera body, but'll give mad as a wet hen if I bring home a $2 pistol. :( :(

BTW, all these checks I've been sending you.. does this mean I should just forward them on to the store in C/O Jeff Davis? LOL

peter nap
09-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Welcome to the GG addiction!

DLCTEX
09-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Love the Guide Gun. Good buy, and good wife.

Montana Ron
09-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Yes, the guide gun fills all the needs of a short range rifle,short,powerful,light,relyable,and a damn good thing to hide behind when the world gets ugly....good aginst Kevlar too........

arcticbreeze
09-19-2009, 07:40 PM
I am jealous, I have always wanted a gg.

Gee_Wizz01
09-19-2009, 08:28 PM
You got a great deal! I got mine off lay away in June. I have been working up loads with the RD 460-350 and RD 460-420. So far I am getting 1 1/2" groups a 100yds. Hope yours is accurate too. The sights are an added bonus. Good luck

G

Jeff Davis
09-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Went back to the shop again today. I brought trading material with me and I worked a deal to get the other 2 orphans, the Springfield Armory and the Remington 700 Tactical. Talk about HEAVEN( I'm in HEAVEN, dum Dum DUN duh!! apologies to Cole Porter:roll:)

You know, most people who work in gunshops, not all, just most in some of the
shops I've ventured into for the first time, when you mention "TRADE", they just smile and look at you like you fell off the turnip truck with a full bankroll as they say "Suuuure we can trade!" Then they commence to downgrade everything you brought in regardless of its condition or value.

This place is not like that. They are willing to listen and even re-examine what you have brought in. Did I get lowballed? Sure did! Was I insulted? No I was not.

I understand the shop is going to make more on a used gun, even pointed that out. I just asked if the owner didn't think they were worth a little more than that.
He came back with a counter offer and raised what his estimated worth was about $100. Then he priced everything as individual pieces so I could pick and choose what got traded for what. Even allowed me to take back one I didn't really want to part with in the first place. To top it off, he let me trade 6 boxes of shells to cover the remaining balance.

Bottom line, no cash money layed out. I got two guns to fill gaps in my armory.
Got rid of guns that were not being used. Went home happy.

What more could a guy want? Besides the 6in 357 Ruger Blackhawk that kept trying to get my attention:wink:

By the way, name of the place is Ultimate Outdoors in Searcy Arkansas. JOhn, rusty, and Lisa are great folks to deal with!

Potsy
09-20-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm in Searcy once every 6 months or so. I'll have to check it out.
I bought a Krag from another shop in Searcy a while back.
Nice town.
Arkansas is kind of a gun shop Mecca. I've found several good ones, and haven't even had time to look very hard.

Vance in Ak
09-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Love my ported 450 GG!
When you start shooting the GG you'll be looking for another one to trade that Remington in on!

Jeff Davis
09-30-2009, 11:31 PM
You know, I am getting kinda antsy waiting on the GG. ALMOST...almost left the house today to get it, but I didn't have the car seat for my daughter. I had one for my son, but somehow didn't think I could get away with these two options:

1. Have daughter sit in back seat on a phone book to reach shoulder belt, driving REAL careful

OR

2. Trust her to stay at home by herself AND inside the house without tearing it up. (she's only
two BTW)
\
Guess common sense overrode emotion once again.

Vance in Ak
10-01-2009, 01:05 AM
You know, I am getting kinda antsy waiting on the GG. ALMOST...almost left the house today to get it, but I didn't have the car seat for my daughter. I had one for my son, but somehow didn't think I could get away with these two options:

1. Have daughter sit in back seat on a phone book to reach shoulder belt, driving REAL careful

OR

2. Trust her to stay at home by herself AND inside the house without tearing it up. (she's only
two BTW)
\
Guess common sense overrode emotion once again.

Add to both of these options;
"Hope she doesn't tell her mom".
I think you made a wise (though tough) decision!

dsmjon
10-01-2009, 06:19 AM
Careful Jeff, don't wind up like this guy: http://www.wral.com/news/strange/story/6109749/

9.3X62AL
10-01-2009, 09:14 AM
2. Trust her to stay at home by herself AND inside the house without tearing it up. (she's only two BTW)

No way on earth I would have left ANY of my baby Amazons alone at age 2 inside the house. Danger aside (all were and are immortal, just ask them), I can only imagine the condition the house would have been in under the combined influence of 2-year-olds--German Shorthair Pointer--and a mastiff/black Lab mix. I'd need a back-hoe and front-loader to clean up afterward.

Congrats on great additions to the collection!

Jeff Davis
10-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Yeah one can only imagine what could have happened. I did go today with my 18 month old son to get out of the ESTROGEN ZONE and have some peace and quiet. I didn't get the guide gun, but I did pick up the Taurus 85 38 special.

After the boy got wound up playing hide & seek with the 2 ladies working there, he started to see all the neat tree stands, blinds, and deer mounts and then the chase was ON! He ended up behind the counter TWICE and started lapping the counters of peggable merchandise, laughing and giggling all the way.

After picking up all the stuff he knocked over/grabbed/tossed etc, I kinda felt obligated to pick up something, just so I might be allowed back in the store!

At least the lil fart's in bed at a decent hour. Now if he will just stay asleep....

Warhawk
10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Went back to the shop again today. I brought trading material with me and I worked a deal to get the other 2 orphans, the Springfield Armory and the Remington 700 Tactical. Talk about HEAVEN( I'm in HEAVEN, dum Dum DUN duh!! apologies to Cole Porter:roll:)

You know, most people who work in gunshops, not all, just most in some of the
shops I've ventured into for the first time, when you mention "TRADE", they just smile and look at you like you fell off the turnip truck with a full bankroll as they say "Suuuure we can trade!" Then they commence to downgrade everything you brought in regardless of its condition or value.

This place is not like that. They are willing to listen and even re-examine what you have brought in. Did I get lowballed? Sure did! Was I insulted? No I was not.

I understand the shop is going to make more on a used gun, even pointed that out. I just asked if the owner didn't think they were worth a little more than that.
He came back with a counter offer and raised what his estimated worth was about $100. Then he priced everything as individual pieces so I could pick and choose what got traded for what. Even allowed me to take back one I didn't really want to part with in the first place. To top it off, he let me trade 6 boxes of shells to cover the remaining balance.

Bottom line, no cash money layed out. I got two guns to fill gaps in my armory.
Got rid of guns that were not being used. Went home happy.

What more could a guy want? Besides the 6in 357 Ruger Blackhawk that kept trying to get my attention:wink:

By the way, name of the place is Ultimate Outdoors in Searcy Arkansas. JOhn, rusty, and Lisa are great folks to deal with!

My mother lives in Judsonia, and I'll be up there next week. I'll have to stop in.

Cheshire Dave
10-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I've got the 22" standard Marlin 45-70 and love it. Great with cast Boolits. What I want to know is why they put a 1/2 inch recoil pad on mine and a 1" on the Guide model. Have fun shooting your new toy....

stubshaft
10-06-2009, 01:49 AM
Guide Guns are like boolit moulds. You can't have only one...

Jeff Davis
10-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Baby is home and ready to PARTAYYY!!!!

I am going to try and cast some boolits on my vacation next week (IF IT EVER STOPS RAINING THAT IS) then load up and sneak out to the state public range to try it out.

CAN"T HARDLY WAIT!!!!!

Jeff