PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Accuracy...30 Luger Targets

StarMetal
04-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Fellows,

It was somewhere here on the forum someone mentioned that they couldn't imagine a semi-auto pistol shooting like a good revolver. Well here are three pop cans that were full of water and shot off the top of a fence post at 75 yards off hand with THREE different 30 Luger pistols: The P08 Luger, Browning Hi Power, and the Benelli. Believe it or not the P08 Luger shot the best and you know what crude sights they have on them...the old V rear and inverted V front and to boot that only has a 3 5/8 inch barrel. The Browning has adjustable target sights the Benelli has a fixed target sight. And no this wasn't shoot a whole box to hit the cans. The Luger hit on the second shot, the Hi Power on the third, and the Benelli the fifth (due to shooting a tad to the left, the others were spot on). Let me tell you that these three pistols shoot dead on at 25 yards where I do my testing for them and they are still dead flat level on at 75 yards too. The P08 just blows my mind away at how accurate and good it shoots. Here's pics.

Joe

Jack Stanley
04-16-2006, 08:53 PM
I just gotta love tests like that , I can close my eyes and see the can exploding :-D

Jack

44man
04-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Joe, that nine sounds almost like the Ruger Mark I with fixed sights I had years ago. It was dead on at 25 and crossed the line of sight again at 80 yd's. It's not that it shot flat but was rising at 25, went way above the sight line in between and crossed again at 80. I used to peel birds off a wire at 80 yd's by resting the grip on a convertable top. Sure glad I never hit the wire but I was young and stupid, now I'm old and stupider, or is that more stupid?

StarMetal
04-18-2006, 01:02 PM
44man,

It's a 7.65 Parabellum (30 Luger) not a nine...if you were referring to a 9mm.

Yeah, I still have my Mark I Bullbarrel and they shoot like rifles.

Oh, the 30 Luger IS flat shooting, not that it just seems that way.

Joe

44man
04-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Well Ya know I canst read anymore, er tipe.

Bucks Owin
04-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Mighty fine offhand shootin' !

:drinks:

Dennis

(You shoot like that all the time?!? :eek: )

StarMetal
04-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks Dennis...and no I don't shoot like that all the time except when rabid popcans attack me. :Fire:

Joe

Antietamgw
04-24-2006, 09:46 PM
It doesn't have anything to do with pistols, but I use pop cans and a bar of soap as targets when I take new kids to the range. After seeing and hearing all the noisy stuff around them, they seem to think the .22 is a popgun. Seeing a pop can open up or the exit "wound" on a bar of ivory is a real eye opener. Wish I could hit a pop can at 75 yds! Great shooting (and eyes!)

Mark

StarMetal
04-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Gee I wish I could have your shot bars of Ivory, soap is expensive today.

Joe

9.3X62AL
04-25-2006, 01:04 AM
Charcoal briquets + 22 rifle + kids = unadulterated fun. Harder to hit, a great puff of black powder when hit, and there's no doubt in a kid's mind that something destroyed the target. MUCH cheaper than Ivory Soap, too.

Bucks Owin
04-25-2006, 01:25 AM
Charcoal briquets + 22 rifle + kids = unadulterated fun. Harder to hit, a great puff of black powder when hit, and there's no doubt in a kid's mind that something destroyed the target. MUCH cheaper than Ivory Soap, too.

Cool idea about the briquets! I'm gonna take some along next time my lil' guy goes shooting with me. Should help teach him to "follow through" on his shots so he can see the action too I'll bet....

"Santa" brought him a custom built (by dad) 3/4 scale old Model 60 Winchester single shot like my first rifle. Barrel cut to 18", scope blocks installed, oil finish etc....

.22 rimfires took a giant leap up in his esteem now that he has his own! :D

(Now a Bearcat is on his agenda for his birthday... :rolleyes: )

Makes my heart warm!

Dennis

Antietamgw
04-25-2006, 09:18 PM
Come on now, a bar of soap ain't that expensive. Briquets sound like a real good idea. Could use the soap for them to wash up afterwards.