PDA

View Full Version : Lee liquid Alox dip

wcshooter
04-20-2005, 03:33 AM
once ya got your loads finished, try dipping the exposed lead on a few in Lee Liquid Alox. you'll have to make a holder to hang 'em upside down 'til they dry. shoot these against the loads that have no dip and see if ya get less leading and better accuracy. helps sometimes when i'm load testing.

Magnum Mike
04-20-2005, 08:12 AM
Having LLA (lee liq alox) on the "nose" of the boolit made no difference for me. When i first started working with boolits that were tumble lubed i would leave the lube on the exposed portion of the boolit. The more i worked with bullets coated in this manner the more i disliked 'em. Eventually i started using bore cleaner to remove the LLA on the exposed portion of the boolit. I noticed NO difference in accuracy or lead in the bore...

My experience, your milage may vary.

jrayborn
02-29-2020, 11:38 PM
I find LLA helps with the LaserCast bullets. I do two coats and get no leading, but without it, sheesh...

poppy42
03-01-2020, 02:39 AM
I size and lube my Boolets in advance of loading and store them in a coffee can. When I started using Ben red for lube I found out it’s soft and when stored loose in a coffee can the lube gets a out of the lube grooves and all over everything. Especially in the summertime. I found that if I codon with a very light coat of Ben’s liquid lube it acts as a sealant. I’ve had bullets stored in the coffee can for a year without the lube either getting smeared or drying out. Oh yeah and I get zero leading out of anything I shoot. Including my 30.06. I know it’s one extra step but unlike straight a alox Ben’s liquid lube dries in an hour.

mehavey
03-01-2020, 08:41 AM
When using Liquid ALOX, just a dab on your thumb/forefinger and grease the bullet up lightly rotating it between them (3-5 bullets per "dab")
Place upright on plate in oven at 225 for 30 minutes in early morning and shoot late afternoon.
(or night before/shoot next day)

You do NOT have to (or even want to) fill the grooves... it doesn't operate that way.
Just a very light coat on shank surfaces --dried: no sticky/no goo/no rub off in coffee can.
Lasts all way down barrel and at very high velocities.

Remember..... thinnnnnnnn coat.
(Did I mention thin?)
[smilie=s:

abunaitoo
03-02-2020, 06:08 AM
I used to mix it with alcohol, put it in a spray bottle, stand the boolets up in a pan, and spray them.
They stick to the pan, but easy to come off.
A little alcohol in the pan and back in the bottle.
Also empty the bottle, and clean it out with some alcohol.
I found that 100% alcohol worked the best.
Since I powder coat now, I don't do it anymore.

Shopdog
03-02-2020, 06:47 AM
I use it for certain rigs as a,last step,just wiping the loaded, exposed "nose". Little bit on a rag,wipe bullet nose,polish it when dry. Not about leading,it helps on certain rigs when running rounds up through the magazine,then into battery. If you're getting any hitches or marks on the bullet during this run up,into the chamber,try it.....helps sometimes.

mdi
03-02-2020, 12:34 PM
I use alox and 45-45-10, but I do not tumble. I didn't like the "brown noses", either the mess, gunky seating dies or appearance. A while back I began dip lubing; grabbing the bullet by the nose (with fingers, tweezers or forceps) and dipping in thinned and/or warmed alox or 45-45-10 and setting upright on a piece of aluminum foil to dry. Works for me, and clean seating dies and no brown noses...

I have dipped some 22 rimfire in alox, both for older ammo and as an experiment. Don't remember good/bad results. I dipped some when I was using a Paco Kelly's Acu'Rzr to reform/swage the 22 bullets (it worked great)...

dondiego
03-02-2020, 01:40 PM
If you are getting "Brown" anything, anywhere, you are using about 10 times more than needed.

centershot
03-03-2020, 02:19 PM
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And this

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

When using Liquid ALOX, just a dab on your thumb/forefinger and grease the bullet up lightly rotating it between them (3-5 bullets per "dab")
Place upright on plate in oven at 225 for 30 minutes in early morning and shoot late afternoon.
(or night before/shoot next day)

You do NOT have to (or even want to) fill the grooves... it doesn't operate that way.
Just a very light coat on shank surfaces --dried: no sticky/no goo/no rub off in coffee can.
Lasts all way down barrel and at very high velocities.

Remember..... thinnnnnnnn coat.
(Did I mention thin?)
[smilie=s:

I've used this stuff for years, bullet lubing doesn't get any simpler than this!! If your bullets are brown YOU USED TOO MUCH!

But, if you really did use too much just tumble them with some powdered mica, everything will be fine.

mdi
03-04-2020, 01:58 AM
"Brown noses" was just a humorous term used to say tumble lubed bullets have lube over the entire bullet (duh!). Even a little alox on the bullet nose will transfer to seating dies and is visible (ugly to me). My first use of alox as in '88 and I do know how much is used...

44Blam
03-04-2020, 02:31 AM
If I use alox, it is BLL...
And only in high velocity rifle boolits. All my other steps happen first:
Cast
Gas Check (if applicable)
Powder coat
Resize
(if necessary) BLL