PDA

View Full Version : Properly ventilating targets

Jack Stanley
04-16-2006, 10:44 AM
That's what the corporal told me he wanted me to do with the ammo cans he set on the counter before me . He said " We ain't never gonna use these now the mini-14 is issue so, I want you to get rid of 'em " Quickly four fifty caliber ammo cans full of lead bullet .223's went to the tailgate of the truck and have been used up slowly over the last ten years or so . I got about a half can left after yesterdays shooting session with a 788 that was tuned up by a local gunsmith many years back .
These may be the bullets that I was casting for him on my days off when they still had the casting machine . I don't remember the loading he was using , but I think it was a moderate charge of IMR 4227 . No gas checks and they aren't much good beyond fifty feet ..... poor accuracy . It is however good enough to smack the steel woodchuck everytime at twenty-five yards if you try .
I think I have a .22 mold around here somewhere , when these are used up perhaps I'll give it a try . After all I still got this 788 that shoots well with good bullets , also found this neat little Kimber 84 to play with :-D

Jack

Buckshot
04-17-2006, 07:41 AM
.............Cast lead can do rigth well in 22 centerfires. Surprisingly well as a matter of fact.

..............Buckshot

Jack Stanley
05-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Had the rifle out again this morning before church . Setting in the rangehouse with a oak fire going gently in the stove behind me . I was taking a break from hammering the steel 'chuck and resting a bit . About this time a Oriole landied in one of the tree tops in front of me ..... just had to stand by and watch an listen to it untill it moved on . Don't see many of them here and they are a pleasant sight to see :-D

Jack