PDA

View Full Version : "Doing The Bruce B."

BeeMan
09-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Bringing this back up for the newer members, and us 'not so new' who may not have tried it.

Tonight I finally got around to speed cooling the sprue as Bruce describes here:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=57105

I tried it foremost to eliminate variation, based on Bruce's comments about temperature consistency and low extreme spreads for weight and dimensions. The discussion about efficient layout and maximizing use of limited leisure time also appealed to the engineer in me.

This technique produced more uniform castings, cleaner sprue cuts, and required less effort to stay in the zone than previous approaches. Contrary to what one might think, the high production rate does not create a sense of hurry. Visually uniform castings simply pile up quicker than with the various other methods I've tried over a 25 year journey through the art of casting. I will check weight distribution since I have data on the last process, but based on the uniform appearance with very few rejects I have high expectations.

Thanks Bruce!

BeeMan

snaggdit
09-17-2009, 01:04 AM
Been using it since I came across the thread this March. After my first try I have never gone back to how I used to cast. Always get good boolits and they sure do pile up fast. Really helps to get good production from 2 cavs.

grouch
09-17-2009, 01:50 PM
I cast for accuracy using a single cavity mold, and weigh every bullet not visually rejected. It seems logical that the best uniformity would be by Charley Dell's method (The Modern Schuetzen Rifle I think) where after the mold is up to heat, the lead is poured over the sprue for 1 - 2 seconds after the mold is full to ensure that the sprue is the last to cool, and by the same logic to let the sprue cool naturally.
Having tried cooling the sprue by touching it to a damp rag, I've found very little difference in weight variatin between the two methods.
So much for logic!

Ekalb2000
09-18-2009, 01:19 PM
I thought I had been doing the Bruce B method until you posted this. I just found out that I was not letting the draw-down dimpple happen. That probably exlains the tiny holes at the base of the boolit.

Anyway, Thanks for posting that for the "not so nw but dont exactally know how to read something properly the first time".

andy