PDA

View Full Version : Walker's Game Ears

jim4065
09-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Got to admit that most of my hearing is gone - so I'm considering getting these. If you have experience with either the "behind-the-ear" or "in-ear" models I'd sure like to hear your opinion on comfort and function. They're too darn expensive to buy on a whim....;-)

carpetman
09-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Jim i haven't tried them

TooManyMisses
09-16-2009, 12:38 PM
I haven't tried them either but have been thinking about it. I am a Hunter Ed Instructor and have read a lot of material on hearing loss, any protection is better than none. I wear double protection when shooting handguns, my custom plugs from work (very noisy machines) plus electronic muffs. Foam or plastic muffs help but the big bone behind your ear (mastoid I think) will also conduct sound waves which makes muff type protectors the better choice. I don't wear protection for hunting except for woodchucks and have definitely incurred some hearing loss in 50 plus years of shooting and hunting. Hearing loss is cumulative so any attempt to suppress the effect loud noises have is beneficial.

Larry

elk hunter
09-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Jim,

I have a pair of the older behind the ear type, they do work for me for hunting. I'm amazed at how much noise you make while walking when you can hear. If you do get that type, go to an audiologist and have plastic ear pieces cast for your ears instead of using the foam plugs that come with the units, that's what I'm going to do as mine keep working loose and falling out.

flounderman
09-16-2009, 07:35 PM
I have a set of actionear muffs. I have had them for years. I put them on sometimes trying to hear a dog, but if there is any wind, that roar is what you will hear. the digital that can be programed for certain pitch sound would be better. most shooting loss is nerve deafness and it will be the higher pitched sounds you don't hear and if there is background noise, you can't understand anybody. I had mine tested years ago. said it was better than most for my age, but it fell off the table at a certain pitch and above. I read a report on a tube type digital that were supposed to be super, but a little pricey. Daryl

jim4065
09-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Called an Audiologist here in town and got a price of $150 plus freight and tax for the upgrade elk hunter mentioned. Down in Hot Springs the Walker Hearing Center at Sam's Club will do the same thing for $100. As a side note, they both said that after 1/1/10 the Arkansas employees insurance program will start covering hearing aids at up to $1400 a side - so I might as well get some "peace time" aids also. Maybe SWMBO will start going to out to eat with me again? :bigsmyl2:

garandsrus
09-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Jim,

I have used a behind the ear model for several years while duck hunting and really like it. I put a normal foam ear plug in the other ear. My main goal is to protect my ears from 2 or 3 guys blasting away with 12 gauges a couple feet away yet being able to carry on a normal conversation.

I do get some wind noise at times. I just turn the volume down when that happens or pull my ear flaps down to block the wind.

John