PDA

View Full Version : woohoo!

223tenx
09-16-2009, 09:39 AM
After 20 weeks wait, I finally got my 358 Win. barrel from ER Shaw yesterday. Now if I can just get the factory barrel 22-250 off my Savage 110.

anachronism
09-16-2009, 09:50 AM
I was going to order a barrel from them, but decided against it when I heard how long I'd have to wait. A friend of mine passed on having them build a rifle for him when they told him it would be over 6 months. I admire your patience.

leftiye
09-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Could someone post a contact number for E. R. shaw please? I might have to wait long enough to woo hoo too (who knows). But I'd like to contact them anyhoo.

StarMetal
09-16-2009, 12:32 PM
What do you meant "if" you can get the barrel off your 110 Savage? They aren't that hard to rebarrel. Make sure you buy a barrel wrench like the one from Midway. Make yourself a good barrel vice too. When you have your wrench on the barrel nut, don't just try to turn it off, give it a whack or two with a dead blow hammer or similar hammer. It it doesn't crack loose I've been told that sometimes some of them have a thread locker on them. You can apply some heat if this is the case, but low heat like a heat gun. There is controversy over how tight to make the nut when putting the barrel back on. Most say just pass snug and that gunsmith in Shooting Time, I believe his name is Cotterfield or something like that, said the same thing, but after you snug it up give it one of two whacks like mentioned above with the hammer. Now I've read if there are two methods in addition to that information. One is if you don't intend to keep swapping the barrels and another if you do and for target work. The one differed from the above method in that it actually gave a torque figure. That's the one I went with. I did this with the 110 I built in my recent 6.5x54MS project.

Good luck and let us know how it shoots. Don't forget to break it in correctly with jacketed first.

Joe

223tenx
09-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Leftiye-the number is 412-221-3636 and you will talk to Chris Murray.

Starmetal. I just worry about things. I'll get it off. AND even though Chris said their barrels didn't need a breakin procedure, I'm going to break it in any way.

223tenx
09-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I ordered from Shaw before I found out that Douglas also makes them. I don't know the price from Douglas but it was $220 from Shaw. The next one will probably be from Douglas since they're only about 6 miles from me.

StarMetal
09-16-2009, 02:30 PM
I ordered from Shaw before I found out that Douglas also makes them. I don't know the price from Douglas but it was $220 from Shaw. The next one will probably be from Douglas since they're only about 6 miles from me.

Douglas is a top shelf barrel. I would imagine it to cost more.

Joe

257 Shooter
09-16-2009, 03:47 PM
The web site says $275- $285.00 plus extra services.

lead Foot
09-16-2009, 04:04 PM
I too had trouble getting my Stevens barrel out - it had tread locker on it. I used heat to remove it - this brown goo dripped out and it was still tight. Good luck 223 Tenx.
Lead foot;