PDA

View Full Version : Small Game bullet tool

Dale53
04-15-2006, 09:09 PM
This may be a little Off Topic but I think not.

From time to time members of my local gun club drop off gun magazines rather than throwing them away. I was browsing through and found an article of interest in Handloader 209- Feb-Mar 2001 about the Hanned Line "Small Game Bullet Tool".

Hanned is no longer in business. They dreamed up a very useful tool for the .22 rimfire hunter. Existing .22 bullets leave something to be desired for edible small game. Either they tear up too much meat (hollow points) or they drill through for a squirrel to run off and die a lingering death. I always try for head shots but they are not always "offered".

However, several years ago, I and a couple of friends made our own "Small Game Tool". You need a lathe and basically you make a little die and chamber it for the .22 rimfire with the tiniest bit of nose sticking out of the end of the die. The die is hardened "glass hard" so the file will not damage it. Then you use the file to shorten the nose on the bullet. The die keeps everything square and you end up with a "long flat nose". It has MUCH greater "smack" and will take squirrels out of the tree with shots through the "slats". You can actually hear the sound of the bullet hitting the squirrel - kind of a wet smack. It works just like a semi wadcutter long flat nose in a large caliber revolver bullet. Does not damage much meat, penetrates in a straight line and really increases the efficiency of the round.

If you are going to make up your own die, just make it a bit too long and before hardening, adjust the length to remove about 1.0 grains of bullet tip. That is enough. The velocity slightly increases and the accuracy is many times improved. The die is just a straight cylinder, square on both ends but chambered for the .22 rimfire. You don't even have to recess for the rim but it will be safer to use with the recess. Dropping the die on a concrete floor with a cartridge inside and the rim hitting the floor may fire the cartridge with undesired results. The die is more attractive and handles a bit better if you knurl part of it.

CCI manufactured their own copy of the "Small Game Bullet" but it had slightly rounded shoulders on the flat point and was not quite so effective.

You can make up a box in just a few minutes and that will take quite a number of squirrels and bunnies.

If you try it, let us know how you like it. I like mine and find that it does what Hanned stated that they did.

Dale53

buck1
04-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Yes its a good idea! this is what I use.....Buck ............see link

http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm

MT Gianni
04-16-2006, 01:52 AM
I believe that the overall length is .910. I cut some 1/2" square stock to length, filed it square and drilled a 7/32" hole through, then with a 5/16" bit I drilled deep enough to recess the rim. I then heated them [I made 3] to a dull red bright orange with a torch and tipped them into a beer can 1/2 full of oil. 2 were fine but adding a third makes a lot of clean up of boiled, stinking oil so be forewarned where you do this at. Gianni.

Larry Gibson
04-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Yes its a good idea! this is what I use.....Buck ............see link

I use the same tool from Paco. Works quite well and turns ordinary Blazer 22LR into premium ammo.

Larry Gibson

Bucks Owin
04-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Clever fellow that Paco Kelly!
Has some interesting thoughts regarding boolit casting too...

Dennis

D.Mack
04-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Add one more thumbs up for Paco's accurizer, it cut my rifle's 100 yard groups in half, and they thump with more athority. Plus with the other nose punches you can create custom nose shapes, my favorite is to use or create a hollow point, then the accurizer to flatten the nose, but leave the HP open. DM

quack1
04-18-2006, 08:26 AM
I have flat-pointed my 22rf bullets for hunting for probably 15 or 20 years. They kill well and leave a lot more eating meat than hollowpoints when you can't get a head shot. I made my flat-pointing die from RDS steel. After heat treating, it is as hard as a commercial trim die. I get the same accuracy and point of impact as the unmodified bullets out of my Kimber. I still have a some RDS left, and am going to make dies to put a flat point on some cast round nose bullets in 30 and 35 cal. Don't know how it will work, accuracy wise, but it will be something new to tinker with.

Dale53
04-21-2006, 01:29 AM
I found an article of C.E. Harris that explains EXACTLY how to make a Small Game Bullet tool. It is pretty long so I am hesitant to put it on here. If anyone wants a copy of it, I can e-mail it to you direct. Understand that I will be out of town until Monday.

Just send your request to;
rmcgee6@cinci.rr.com

lovedogs
04-21-2006, 05:26 PM
I've wondered about making a tool like this to use on my 500 gr. RN .45-70 bullets cast with 20:1 alloy. That'd pack quite a wallop on big game, wouldn't it? I just don't quite know how to go about it and don't have a shop to do it in. Anyone want to try making one for a price?

Bret4207
04-22-2006, 07:03 AM
I made a couple up several years ago. I got tired of the filing, so when I ran across some very sharp, small side cutters I got 2 pair and flattened the side of one pair. Now I can clip the boolit nose instead of filing. Much, much faster. Some brands of ammo will show a little boolit pull or loosening with the side cutters, but it doens't seem to matter.

nighthunter
04-22-2006, 07:52 AM
A toe nail cutter used on dogs works quite well to trim 22RF's. It has the advantage of curved cutters on both sides. It leaves a nice flat nose and doesn't effect accuracy.
Nighthunter

Dale53
04-24-2006, 12:50 AM
When I returned from the ASSRA .22 only matches at Etna Green, IN this afternoon, I had several requests for the C.E. Harris material. I believe that I have answered all, but I had a lot of mail. If I missed anyone, please let me know.

Dale53

Four Fingers of Death
04-24-2006, 01:24 AM
Aussie shooters that use ex mil ammo (not so much these days as the cheap stuff has all dried up) used to 'tip' them using a grinder wheel. A little dab'll do ya!

Seemed to work ok with 7.62 ammo, would work for 22s I suppose. I have about 400 left out of a brick of CCI standard velocity ammo which my 22 auto pistol isn't keen on. I must try it with them.

fiberoptik
05-21-2006, 01:33 AM
I've got both of Paco's tools, .22 lr. & shorts, and I'm real happy. The one thing they do that the other type don't is they slug or size the bullet. If'n ya really wants to size to your own gun, pull a bullet, push it through your favorite .22, and send it on to Paco. He'll make the tool to fit your gun! Mine came in .223 on one end, .224 on the other. He says that's the standard that works best all the way around. This way ya can buy up the cheap "Blazer" ammo, fit it to your gun, and be happy! Also, the flat point cuts the paper targets instead of ripping them, so ya can actually see the hits! Makes it a heck of a lot easier to sight them in. Paco's a great guy to do business with also. I'm a very satisfied customer.:Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :-D

steveb
05-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Paco is a friend and fine gentleman. It was Christmas Eve last year when I got a gift in the mail and it was a Paco's Deluxe Accr'izer with all three forming rods. Thats just the kind of guy he is.(Thanks again Paco!) Its a great little tool.Mine is also is for 223 and 224 dia, I've only tried it with the cheap bulk remingtons that comes in bricks so far but you can see the difference.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/accurizer3.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/NastyNose.jpg