PDA

View Full Version : Beagle-ing

Old Jim
04-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Where do I find the aluminum tape that is recommended for beagle-ing a mold. I have one that would be a whole lot better if it were a couple of thousandths bigger.

mooman76
04-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Any good household repair store like Lowes or home Depot should have it. You may have to ask, it is kind of hard to find!

redneckdan
04-15-2006, 09:07 PM
I couldn't find a small quantity so I ask for some at my apartment office, they gave me a 3 foot strip fer free. the idea works great

beagle
04-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Jim...If you can't find any, do a PM with your address and I'll ship you some./beagle

Where do I find the aluminum tape that is recommended for beagle-ing a mold. I have one that would be a whole lot better if it were a couple of thousandths bigger.

drinks
04-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Auto parts stores carry a stainless steel trim tape which works fine.

Bass Ackward
04-16-2006, 07:10 AM
There is a permanent way to "beagle" a mold if they are steel molds. I would not attempt it on other materials because of strength. But you can drill and tap one half of the blocks (usually at 3 points) and then install a small allen screw.

Then you have an adjustable means of seperation that can be moved in or out. Just incase you have other guns of the same bore diameter that don't need a larger diameter. It also works well if you just want a little more diameter on the base for checks or what ever.

beagle
04-16-2006, 06:10 PM
This does work all right as we tried it while developing the beagling process.

We encountered problems keeping the screws adjusted and locked as a combination of the heat/expansion/tapping to open the mould and drop the bullets soon worked them loose./beagle

There is a permanent way to "beagle" a mold if they are steel molds. I would not attempt it on other materials because of strength. But you can drill and tap one half of the blocks (usually at 3 points) and then install a small allen screw.

Then you have an adjustable means of seperation that can be moved in or out. Just incase you have other guns of the same bore diameter that don't need a larger diameter. It also works well if you just want a little more diameter on the base for checks or what ever.

Bucks Owin
04-16-2006, 06:48 PM
I'd be very interested in the long range accuracy of beagled boolits if some of you will keep us up to speed with your experiments....

Silhouette and BR inclined, :mrgreen:

Dennis

fourarmed
04-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Dennis, I beagled the mold for my .270 Maximum silhouette pistol with one layer of aluminum tape, as the boreriding nose of the bullet was loose in the bore. I got 200 meter groups (by which I mean groups at 200 meters) of around 3-4 inches. Previously, groups at that range would not reliably stay on a ram.

Old Jim
04-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Beagle, PM sent.
Thanks all.

ebner glocken
04-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Old Jim, Try calling mid south air gas (used to be PG Walker) out on college street in Springfield.....if memory serves correctly they have it in stock. Should have it in 2" and 4".

BABore
04-17-2006, 01:28 PM
This does work all right as we tried it while developing the beagling process.

We encountered problems keeping the screws adjusted and locked as a combination of the heat/expansion/tapping to open the mould and drop the bullets soon worked them loose./beagle

Use shorter set screws and put a second one behind the first to act as a jam nut. As a more precise setup, that wears less, use half dog set screws.

ebner glocken
04-17-2006, 10:43 PM
If air gas doesn't have it Johnston industrial supply will probably have it. There's one in Springfield and one in Joplin.

Pepe Ray
04-18-2006, 12:22 AM
" As a more precise setup, that wears less, use half dog set screws."
Sorry, Whats a half dog set screw?
Pepe Ray

Bucks Owin
04-18-2006, 12:37 AM
Dennis, I beagled the mold for my .270 Maximum silhouette pistol with one layer of aluminum tape, as the boreriding nose of the bullet was loose in the bore. I got 200 meter groups (by which I mean groups at 200 meters) of around 3-4 inches. Previously, groups at that range would not reliably stay on a ram.

Wow! I guess that giving a mould the "beagle treatment" doesn't throw the boolit "too" badly out of balance!

Thanks pal,

Dennis

BABore
04-18-2006, 11:54 AM
" As a more precise setup, that wears less, use half dog set screws."
Sorry, Whats a half dog set screw?
Pepe Ray

Set screws come in a variety of point styles. The common ones are cone point, half dog, oval, and cup point. The half dog set screw has a reduced diameter cylindrical nose that is flat on the end. A #10-24 half dog set screw has a 0.127" dia. cylindrical nose that protrudes 0.049" from the end of the screw. I mentioned using this type of set screw because it won't tear up the opposite side mold block like a standard cup point screw would.

Pepe Ray
04-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks , BABore,
Well,,,, That's my quota for the day.:)
Pepe Ray