PDA

View Full Version : Widener's has some Wolf primers in stock.

bgokk
09-15-2009, 06:50 AM
I just ordered some small rifle magnum primers from them. They have the following in stock. I have no connection with the company just thought I would put the word out. All primers are very hard to find in this area.

QQQLPM KVB-45M LARGE PISTOL MAGNUM PRIMERS $29.00/1000 OR $140.00/5000

QQQSR KVB-223 SMALL RIFLE PRIMERS $28.50/1000 OR $137.00/5000

QQQSR223 KVB-223M SMALL RIFLE PRIMERS $29.50 / 1000 OR $140.00 / 5000

QQQSRM KVB-5.56M SMALL RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMERS (For use in 5.56 loads)$29.00/1000

canebreaker
09-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Yes, they are hard to find. When I do, they are 40. or more per 1,000 plus tax. I bought 5 cases when Widener's first had Wolf SPM back online. With s/h, that was about 25. per 1,000.

mike in co
09-15-2009, 09:32 AM

QQQSRM KVB-5.56M SMALL RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMERS (For use in 5.56 loads)$29.00/1000

me thinks you missed something in your descriptions.....

the 223 primer is a unigue primer designed for the ar15 family of rifles....223/5.56...

the mag primer is just that, a mag primer, and has no special characteristics for 5.56

mike in co

bgokk
09-15-2009, 10:23 AM
me thinks you missed something in your descriptions.....

the 223 primer is a unigue primer designed for the ar15 family of rifles....223/5.56...

the mag primer is just that, a mag primer, and has no special characteristics for 5.56

mike in co

I did a copy and paste from the site.

Here is the link:http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8975&dir=278|284|737

bgokk
09-15-2009, 10:50 AM
You can also look at this page: http://wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|284|737
This is the page from which I copied the inf in the orig. post.

Trey45
09-15-2009, 01:53 PM
I ordered 5000 wolf large magnum pistol primers and 8 pounds of RG4895 pulldown powder from them sunday.

mike in co
09-15-2009, 02:40 PM
i do not know why a reputable business would list that data....no book i have lists mag primers with a 223 load.

wolf is the only manufacturer that makes a specific primer for the ar platform....

sorry it make no sense to me...
'
i shoot tons of wolf 223 primers in my ar's ...no issues, excellent results.

mike in co

jonk
09-15-2009, 02:58 PM
The only primers I am seeing regularly are Wolfs. I don't know if this is due to primer snobbery and less demand for them, or increased supply. I hope it is the latter. I've been saying now for months that whatever primer company added production to their factory would make a gold mine. Other than upping production on existing equipment to max, they haven't. I wonder if Wolf did? If so, kudos to them. They saw a demand and are filling it.

StarMetal
09-15-2009, 03:21 PM
i do not know why a reputable business would list that data....no book i have lists mag primers with a 223 load.

wolf is the only manufacturer that makes a specific primer for the ar platform....

'

mike in co

When the 6.5 Grendel was developed it was designed around a small rifle magnum primer. I wondered why since it's a small case, but that's how it was. Maybe on the 223 they think you need a little hotter primer for the ball powders. Then there's the group out there that think the mag primers are better for all the loads.

So I guess you agree there are three Wolf small rifle primers now, right? The standard primer, the thicker cupped primer for the AR's and that sort, and now the thicker cupped magnum for the AR's and that sort.

Joe

bgokk
09-15-2009, 03:49 PM

'

mike in co

I have Speer #14 and it list magnum primers with Win. 748, H335 and BLC2. I am not where I can check the manual there may be others. I know those 3 show MP's because I have all 3 of them.

bgokk
09-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Mike,

I just checked Sierra Infinity Suite and all loads with 55 gr. Jword's show using Remington #7 1/2 primers. I have never used remington's rifle primers and am not familiar with the numbering system, are these standard type? BTW the 3 powders I named are in the table and IMR 3031 is not. Go figure! Book shows one set of data computer program another. :?

mike in co
09-15-2009, 04:56 PM
When the 6.5 Grendel was developed it was designed around a small rifle magnum primer. I wondered why since it's a small case, but that's how it was. Maybe on the 223 they think you need a little hotter primer for the ball powders. Then there's the group out there that think the mag primers are better for all the loads.

So I guess you agree there are three Wolf small rifle primers now, right? The standard primer, the thicker cupped primer for the AR's and that sort, and now the thicker cupped magnum for the AR's and that sort.

Joe
mag primers are hotter, not thicker.......someone one want to burn off a few and see how thick they are ?

when i became a wolf primer dealer...i was told....small rifle=std primer; sr223 is slightly thicker and slightly hotter( not thick like a mil, and not hot like mag), and then sr mag which is hotter not thicker. cci makes mil primers in 223/308 and 50 cal. all are thicker, but not hotter.

7 1/2 is not mag.....7 1/2 mag is mag

mike in co

rugerman1
09-15-2009, 05:11 PM
mike,
I read this as being a magnum primer equivalent:
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primers_prod.aspx?id=30

CCI® No. 34 and No. 41 MILITARY RIFLE PRIMERS

FEATURES & BENEFITS:
Mil-spec sensitivity
Initiator mix optimized for ball/spherical propellants
Available in large (No.34) and small (No. 41) rifle
Use the same data as CCI Magnum primers

HORNET
09-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Rem 7-1/2 are supposed to have a slightly thicker cup than the Rem 6-1/2 but are supposed to be otherwise the same. In practice, they are slightly hotter and are a 'light' magnum. The benchrest shooters started needing hotter primers trying to light compressed loads of ball powder which brought out the popularity of theCCI 450 SR mag (then the BR-4) and the Fed 205M. Federal claims the the M stands for 'Match' but the 205 indicates a member of the magnum family per their numbering system. Testing results I've seen indicate that they are definitely magnum. The ball powders seem to need hotter primers for uniform ignition.
As a side note, when they were developing the 6.8 SPC, they ended up going to a Large Rifle primer because even the hot small rifle mag primers wouldn't give consistent results with the heavily deterred ball powder used under low temp testing.

runfiverun
09-15-2009, 08:14 PM
the wolfs have a thicker cup on their magnum primers,not a hotter compound.

09-15-2009, 08:35 PM
I bought some Wolf primers, from Wideners, a month or so ago. Figured that, if American manufacturers were so backed-up and my supply was in dire straits, I'd give my business to the Russian mafia. They seem to have had a better grasp on the capitalist concept of supply and demand than we Americans.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Ruskies even went so far as to build at least one new primer factory. For sure, they don't have liberals, unions, and enviro-whackos standing in their way.

StarMetal
09-15-2009, 08:36 PM
the wolfs have a thicker cup on their magnum primers,not a hotter compound.

I don't know why mike is having such a hard time with this. Hey mike, you may be right about other manufacturer primers, but Wolf told you about all their small rifle primers right there on Wideners website.

Let's recap:

small rifle-------------------normal primer or standard
small rifle magnum--------thicker cup
their new primer-----------thicker cup and slightly hotter comp.

Joe

woody1
09-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Back to the primer availability issue. For you Oregon residents, my wife was in BiMart, Klamath Falls, yesterday. When she inquired about primers they told her they had everything but large rifle available. She didn't inquire about price nor did she buy any as I don't need 'em. Regards, Woody

mike in co
09-15-2009, 09:59 PM
mike,
I read this as being a magnum primer equivalent:
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primers_prod.aspx?id=30

they have a significantly harder cup....not like a mag primer at all.

mike in co
09-15-2009, 10:09 PM
and the Fed 205M. Federal claims the the M stands for 'Match' but the 205 indicates a member of the magnum family per their numbering system. Testing results I've seen indicate that they are definitely magnum. .

sorry, but me thinks you are wrong.
205m is clearly labled as small rifle match
210m is clearly labled as large rifle match
215m i sclearly labled as large rifle match MAGNUM

CLAIM what you want, it is how they are labled and marketed.

no one in the benchrest community refers to them as magnum.....this is the same people the like wofl sr MAGNUM primers.

mike in co
09-15-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't know why mike is having such a hard time with this. Hey mike, you may be right about other manufacturer primers, but Wolf told you about all their small rifle primers right there on Wideners website.

Let's recap:

small rifle-------------------normal primer or standard
small rifle magnum--------thicker cup
their new primer-----------thicker cup and slightly hotter comp.

Joe

joe,
i do not deny that i may have been given the wrong info, but what i do not understand is wiedners claiming that the srm is THE correct primer for 223, inspite of wolf have a primer they specifically market for the ar platform...clearly labled as sr/223. the only company that actually makes a primer specfically for the 223/ar15.

mike

StarMetal
09-15-2009, 11:13 PM
joe,
i do not deny that i may have been given the wrong info, but what i do not understand is wiedners claiming that the srm is THE correct primer for 223, inspite of wolf have a primer they specifically market for the ar platform...clearly labled as sr/223. the only company that actually makes a primer specfically for the 223/ar15.

mike

Mike, Mike, Mike, if you researched these primers on the internet you would find that the nomenclature is exactly the same as Wideners has printed. In other words Mike, Wideners didn't write that up themselves. I'm beginning to believe Wolf wrote it up.

Joe

GabbyM
09-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Somewhere in my foggy mind I remember reading one of Wolf new primers has a new label because they bought them from an out source manufacturer. Baltic's somewhere.
I picked up a box of Wolf 223 primers last month. Haven't loaded any yet. Hope they light off ball powder well since that's what they'll be asked to do.

The CCI military primers mentioned above use the same data as mag primers. This from their web page.

FEATURES & BENEFITS:
Mil-spec sensitivity

mike in co
09-16-2009, 12:43 AM
Somewhere in my foggy mind I remember reading one of Wolf new primers has a new label because they bought them from an out source manufacturer. Baltic's somewhere.

The CCI military primers mentioned above use the same data as mag primers. This from their web page.

FEATURES & BENEFITS:
Mil-spec sensitivity

one: must be a fairy tale..i have seen the latest batch off the ship( got here the end of may) ...no changes in the rifle or pistol primer packaging.

two: on the cci34/41.....PLEASE NOTE THE FIRST LINE: MIL-SPEC SENSITIVITY!
folks what that means is Hard...real freaking hard. i got rid of mine because in freezing conditions my rifle would not set them off( ar15 dcm/cmp match).

using the same "data" as mag primers does NOT mean they are the same as mag primers...they are not.

mike in co

mike in co
09-16-2009, 12:45 AM
so with all the comments about wolf primers..how many of you actually shoot the 223 primer in a 223 ???

i do....2230/2520/2200 accurate powders...all work fine.....with the 223 specific powder...no mag primers.

mike in co

StarMetal
09-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Mike,

I just recently got some Wolf primers. They were large rifle and small pistol. I noticed a change in the primers (different cup color) and the plastic trays are a different color. The outer sleeves are the same and that's crappy.....too thin and flimsy. I can't speak for the small rifle and large pistol of recent manufacture.

Joe

rugerman1
09-16-2009, 12:58 AM
I was going by the info on CCI's page

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primer_chart.htm
Bottom of the page:

† — Safety Note: use Magnum primers only when specified in published load data. The 41's and 34's contain Magnum priming mix and should be treated as such.

mike in co
09-16-2009, 01:12 AM

Wolf 223 Small Rifle Primer ( Part # QQQSR223) - NEW

Wolf small rifle primers are now available in types.

SMALL RIFLE PRIMER (part # QQQSR) - Used as a standard small rifle primer. Perfect for the 30 carbine and 223 standard loads. Many people use this primer in bench and other loads for the 223. This primer is a copper colored primer.

SMALL RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMER (part# QQQSRM) - This is the primer we had before for use in the 5.56 loads and hot 223 loads. A thick cup for the higher pressure. We sold a lot of these primers earlier this year. The new lot is brass colored instead of nickel.

SMALL RIFLE 223 (part # QQQSR223) NEW NEW This is the newest primer available in the Wolf line. It is ever so slightly hotter than the small rifle magnum primer and it comes with a brass colored thick cup. This primer can be used in place of the SRM primer or used when a different powder is used that is hard to ignite.

mike in co
09-16-2009, 01:14 AM
I was going by the info on CCI's page

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/primers/primer_chart.htm
Bottom of the page:

but it would appear that all are missing the couple of words...mil spec sensitivity......that is not the same as a std mag primer.....so the compound is the same, but it requires a much harder strike.

HORNET
09-16-2009, 09:12 AM
mike, read my response again. I didn't say the Fed 205M's weren't match, I said they test as magnums and the 5 as the 3'rd digit falls in with the magnums in Federal's numbering system. They have revised their numbers to put the 205 (NOT M) in as their standard small rifle primer in place of the 200 (which they have re-designated as H/V & magnum small pistol- the boxes I have say small rifle) but the 5 otherwise designates the magnum version.
I don't have the article handy for reference at the moment, but Ken Waters did some testing on the CCI BR-4 and the Fed 205M in the .222 and said they both raised velocities (and therefore pressures) as much as 1/2 grain of 4198 over the R-P 7-1/2 (85-90 fps). Sounds like a mag primer to me.

LAH
09-19-2009, 09:27 PM
These were part of my shipment last week. I couldn't fine a part number on any of the packaging but according to the invoice these are QQQSR KVB-223.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Picture089.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Picture090.jpg

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood

part_timer
09-19-2009, 10:01 PM
so with all the comments about wolf primers..how many of you actually shoot the 223 primer in a 223 ???

i do....2230/2520/2200 accurate powders...all work fine.....with the 223 specific powder...no mag primers.

mike in co

Mike

I shoot the QQQSRM in both of my bushmasters and an encore(223) and they work fine with 4064, varget, and 4198.