PDA

View Full Version : any interest in 50/50 solder ingots

odinohi
09-15-2009, 05:51 AM
I have more than I could ever hope to use. What would a fair price be per pound for this? I got it at a radiator shop and smelted into ingots. Still have much more to smelt. Thanks, Tom

badge176
09-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Since I'd like it for free, and have no real idea what a fair price is on salvaged 50/50, I'll lurk in the shadows and see where this goes.

What amount (#) are you looking to br free of? And would you be interested in trades?

cajun shooter
09-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Well, I see you are a newbie and have not been here for any of our past solder sales. We have had forum members sell bar solder in the 50/50 and the even better 63/37 for prices from $3 and up. It's your solder and therefore up to you to sell . The prices that I posted are for bar solder and not drippings which can have all kinds of trash in them. I was reading a thread just the other day where a scrap dealer would only pay .40 a lb for floor sweepings. How much have you received in the past? Remember that this is a forum for a hobby and be as fair as you can.

kyle623
09-15-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm interested 10 lbs or so when you figure out a price. let me know when you figure out a price.

jcw1970
09-15-2009, 09:55 AM
i'd be interested in some when you figure out a price.

Matt_G
09-15-2009, 10:00 AM
JMax had some 62/36/2 he was selling for a while at 20 pounds for $60.00 shipped in a flat rate box. (62% Sn, 36% Pb, 2% Ag)
Just to give you an idea of what it has sold for in the past.
BTW, he is out now. I procrastinated too long. :(

I'll keep an eye on this thread because I need some tin. :)

44man
09-15-2009, 10:43 AM
The big scrap dealer in Frederick Maryland pays 10 cents a pound for WW's but will not sell anything to the public anymore. I look at barrels of the things and can't touch any of it.

bisley45
09-15-2009, 01:20 PM
The big scrap dealer in Frederick Maryland pays 10 cents a pound for WW's but will not sell anything to the public anymore. I look at barrels of the things and can't touch any of it.

don't that make you sick:(

Firebricker
09-15-2009, 07:24 PM
I would be interested. As far as price I'm not sure but would check scrap yard for a starting point. FB

outdoorfan
09-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Well, I see you are a newbie and have not been here for any of our past solder sales. We have had forum members sell bar solder in the 50/50 and the even better 63/37 for prices from $3 and up. It's your solder and therefore up to you to sell . The prices that I posted are for bar solder and not drippings which can have all kinds of trash in them. I was reading a thread just the other day where a scrap dealer would only pay .40 a lb for floor sweepings. How much have you received in the past? Remember that this is a forum for a hobby and be as fair as you can.

I believe that was me that posted the $.40/lb figure. It was from one recycler who told me that was what they paid for solder, but there was no discussion about it being from floor sweeping/drippings. I think that .40/lb was in reference to clean solder. The other 3 or 4 recyclers that I called had no idea what they paid or didn't pay, as it seemed they didn't deal with the stuff very much.

geargnasher
09-15-2009, 09:56 PM
I checked our only local radiator shop for dirty vat drippings a couple of years ago and he said he got $20/lb from his scrap guy, I said have a nice day.

Are you sure that it is 50/50? How can you tell?

Gear

odinohi
09-15-2009, 10:11 PM
I checked our only local radiator shop for dirty vat drippings a couple of years ago and he said he got $20/lb from his scrap guy, I said have a nice day.

Are you sure that it is 50/50? How can you tell?

Gear

Well, I cant be sure exactly what it is. The guy at the radiator shop told me he used 40/60 solder. I was told by some members here to treat it as 50/50. I think the guy at your radiator shop was trying to bump up the price on you. Scrapyards dont want to pay squat for anything, selling it to you though is another matter entirely. I know that I'm fairly new here, I can post some pics of some of the scrap that I smelted. Thats about all the better I can do. I cant make anyone believe what I have is solder ingots, but trust me it is. It took me 2.5 hours to smelt each batch. As soon as the wind changes back to the North/Northeast I'll be smelting some more. Dont want to offend the nieghbors. Thanks, Tom

hammerhead357
09-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Odi I believe that you have solder. I think that the go with 50/50 might be consevitive but I suppose it is a good place to start. I might be interested in some of the solder if you can determine a fair price...Wes

Grapeshot
09-16-2009, 06:07 AM
I'd want 20 pounds of what you have. When you fix a price, let me know.

Down South
09-16-2009, 06:30 AM
he said he got $20/lb from his scrap guy, I said have a nice day.

I was quoted 100.00 per 5-gallon bucket of WW once. That's what the guy said that he was getting. I'm not really sure if someone was that big of an idiot to pay that price or rather it was the guys way of saying buzz off.

Back to the topic. It would be hard for me to guestimate what the solder you have is worth since you don't know it's exact solder content. I would say it's worth at least what WW is going for here plus some.

Matt_G
09-16-2009, 06:58 AM
I was quoted 100.00 per 5-gallon bucket of WW once.

I was quoted $50.00 just yesterday at a shop in the next town over.
I really want to go back there once I find a hat that has INS printed on it.
That will stir the pot... :twisted:

Jumping Frog
09-16-2009, 01:16 PM
I'd like to be on your list.

Since USPS Flat Rate mail will handle up to 70#, I guess I'd like to get close to 70# if your price is reasonable.

I bought some solder at our local recycler/scrap yard yesterday, and he charged me $.50 per lb.

machinisttx
09-16-2009, 02:20 PM
I was quoted $50.00 just yesterday at a shop in the next town over.
I really want to go back there once I find a hat that has INS printed on it.
That will stir the pot... :twisted:

Local shop quoted me $350 on a full 55 gallon barrel of ww's. He said there was about 1400 pounds in a barrel, as best he remembered from the last one he sold. I don't have a spare $350 right now, so I bought three bucketfuls at $30 each. I'm about halfway through melting down one bucket and already have 60 lbs of ingots out of it. :smile:

Jumping Frog
09-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Maybe I am just lucky, but I have never paid for WW. There is one shop that I'll give him a 12 pack of beer every now and then, but that is more in the way of "thank you".

odinohi
09-16-2009, 07:48 PM
I'd like to get 3.50 per pound plus shipping. If your interested PM me as this will be the order it will be sold until its gone. I only have 85lbs right now. Will have more later. Not sure how much will fit into a small flatrate, but will let you know. The ingots I have right now are muffin ingots. Here is a link to my photobucket. This is what this solder started out as. I hope this is OK to post here as I dont have that much to list in the swapping and selling page.
http://s642.photobucket.com/albums/uu146/odinohi/?action=view&current=GEDC0252.jpg