PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday at the range: 4 - 11 - 06

Buckshot
04-15-2006, 08:56 AM
.............I'm pretty well stocked up on sundry cast boolit's but danged if I hadn't run through all my 'pre-loaded' stuff I can grab to shoot for the Tuesday Burrito Invitational match. As a consequence the past couple of weeks I've been suggesting 22RF. So this past Tuesday we shot the unheard of. That is 22RF with scoped rifles, OFF THE BENCH! Egads, how depraved?

Someone never gets the word so Larry showed up with his M44 Mossberg military trainer wth iron sights. I offered the use of my rifle but he said nah, he'd campaign the old Mossberg. Deputy Al used his new (to him) M581 Remington, I shot a M582 Remington and Glen used a M75 Winchester.

Glen is a funny one. He likes to win. Well I mean we ALL like to win, but Glen REALLY likes to win :-D. He'd called me up the week before and said he'd been trying to put scope blocks on a M513T he has and twisted off a screw in the barrel. I was surprised he was trying to get that particular rifle set up. Not that it isn't a nice one but he has a Stevens 44 1/2, Remington M37 Rangemaster (which I lust after), M52 Winchester, and the M75 Winchester in 22RF. All are set up to take the Lyman Targetspots or Unertl's of which he has 5-6.

So anyway I got that all taken care of and he shows up with the M75 wearing a 22X Unertl? We had fun shooting the match. Deputy Al shot Federal Bulk 550 rnds/brick for a 100/something-X (sorry, I forgot). Larry shot a 99-2X and used Winchester Dynapoints. I shot a 100-4X with Dyna-Points and Glen shot a 100-7X with CCI Green Tag. It wouldn't have surprised me if he'd gone and spent $10 on some Eley 10-X to win a $4 pot [smilie=l:

We lost one of our Burrito Shooters as Shooter451 had to go back to work full time. He's agitating to get Tuesdays off, but he said he's not making much headway.

I had finally been successfull in getting all my Snider brass loaded up and got to shoot them all up Tuesday. I think it was 38 rounds I had, in 3 batchs. One batch was some I'd shot out of my 3 band Snider a couple years ago. I just tossed the uncleaned brass in a box and they sat in the cabinet above the reloading bench since. I did finally clean them up before reloading but they were a scruffy lot. I lost 3 of those to neck splits.

I think I had 8 unfired and sized but primed with the really bad CBC #56 Berdan primers, and then 23 unfired 209 primer conversion cases. The old scruffy ones got loaded with 80.0grs of 1fG Goex, then a 50-50 mix of BP and Cream of Wheat (COW), which was then compress about 1/2". A cardwad, lubed felt wad, another cardwad and then the swaged Lee target Minie'. All the loads used this Minie' and the lube was all in thebase cavity as they're a smooth Pritchit style slug.

The other 2 groups of brass got 85.0grs of 2Fg Elephant with the 50-50 Cow-BP and cardwad & lubed felt wad treatment. They looked neat and I took a picture of'em but haven't up loaded it yet.

Boy, that littel Snider carbine can bellow and roar! [smilie=w:. I don't have a front sight on it and didn't know how high to make it so I used a hose clamp to hold on a piece of steel strip bent into an 'L' shape. I set up 2 bulls, one over the other at 50 yards. Took a 6 o'clock hold on the top one and the shot went between the legs of the target board to plow a big furrow in the berm and send sand flying out in a fan spray.

Out came the side cutters to make a front sight adjustment. The next shot was 1/4 way up the bottom bull, so another snip was made. The 3rd round was in the 8 ring of the top bull, ah ha! The next shot for group was at 4 in the 7 ring, uh oh! Well the 5 rounds for group went about 10". At least I think I have the front sight height about right as they were all in the bottom half of the target. I was concerned what effect that .018" off axis bore was going to have, and I suspect it might be worse at longer range.

The balance of the ammo was shot offhand at various rocks on teh 50 & 100 yard berms and the 200 meter plates. Deputy Al was at the next bench and he pointed to a pile of empty 22RF brass. He said they had all be loaded but had gone off in sympathetic detonation:rolleyes: He thinks he's such a card. The little carbine was pretty 'boomy' under the covered line, especially since they'd completed the sound abatemet measures.

I did have several guys wander down to see what all the blast and bellowing was about. Or maybe it was the burning cream of wheat?

Probable accuracy improvements will be a larger Minie' and I have made a swage die to make a .596" slug vs the .582" one I was using. Also, my brass is about .100" too long. The fired cases all have mouths curved in like they'd been crimped, and they hadn't. Suppsedly they're supposed to be about 1.93". Some of them had been a bit hard to chamber, as it all has to be done with your thumb (chalk one up for the Trapdoor).

Another is lube and all I had was that in the base of the Minie'. Most guys are using lube grooved Minie's AND a grease cookie. So I need to make another head for my lube press to form .600" diameter lube snakes to slice into cookies. At home that afternoon it took 6-8 solvent soaked patches to come clean. I did get some small flakes of lead and some 'sparklies' in the first few patches, but then nothing.

All in all it was a real gas to shoot and I could feel my shoulder the rest of the afternoon. Cleaning up the brass I'm glad to say wasn't too much trouble.

.................Buckshot

swheeler
04-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Buckshot; that Snider would make one heck of a survival gun, if you couldn't hit anything with it , you could always pull down a few rounds and cook you up a bowl of COW!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Sounds like you had a ball shootin. Always fun to try out a new (old) gun and get her going.

Dave

StarMetal
04-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Buckshot...at least Deputy Al didn't call you some low lying sewer scum or whatever that derogitory plumber/Al term is he uses. :drinks:

Joe

9.3X62AL
04-15-2006, 03:21 PM
That "sympathetic detonation" effect was no joke. I lost a whole box of bulk Remington HP's to Buckshot's antics. Add in the proximity of the San Andreas Fault to our range, and the attendant danger of triggering some plate tectonic movement......Buckshot is really pushing the envelope with that Snider thing of his.

Glen shot 100-7X, eh? I thought he he did an "8X". My 100-7X was pretty gratifying, done with a Rem 581/bulk HP's/and whatzis 3x-9x WalMart scope. Keeping pace with Glen's Rem 513/Green Tag/Unertl results is right fine.

More 22 LR adventures await......I brought home a used Ruger 10/22 with illusions of making it into a tack-driving repeater version of the Rem 581. After de-grunging the bore and receiver internals, it appears that I have a much-carried and/or much-carted about--but little-used--rifle. I'll try the stock barrel and factory trim before lapsing into the truck-axle tube and purple metalflake stock route that seems all the rage with the 10/22 fanciers.

StarMetal
04-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Deputy Al,

Way to go with the Remington and the economy ammo. That's what I've been telling alot of these fellows on here about my 541-S Custom Sporter and cheap ammo...shoots like a target setup.

I dunno about th e10/22. I'd pretty much give up on it being a "tack driver" unless you go with one of those fancy aftermarket match barrels and a match trigger. My one good friend had Ruger's version that 10/22 in a target grade with laminated stock and heavy bullbarrel that looked like it was hammer forged rifled. To say the least I wasn't impressed and neither was he, he sold it.

Joe

NVcurmudgeon
04-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Allen, congratulations on the possible with Federal "Bulk Match." Target accuracy, long range killing power, and right price. BTW, if your favorite ammo store is out of Federal bulk, DO NOT BUY THE REMINGTON BULK, characterized (in one shooter's experience) by mediocre accuracy and frequent misfires.

NVcurmudgeon
04-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Rick, thanks for bringing back the Burrito Report. It is eagerly awaited and read in distant places.

David R
04-15-2006, 08:12 PM
I enjoy reading these. It seems around here everybody buys a ruger 10-22 and then dumps a bunch of money into it. New bull barrel, new thumbhole stock, "drop in" trigger...... I spent less money and have a remington 540 (541?) T. It shoots great box stock. All I had to do is adjust the trigger to my liking and find out what brand it shoots best. Federal target. I do have a 10-22, but it too is box stock except I massaged the factory trigger. It likes Winchester Super X solid. I have won a lot of matches with it against those fancied up ones.

David

9.3X62AL
04-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Like others--I'm not convinced that spending long dollars on after-market add-ons for the 10/22 is the best route to accuracy. It's not like I'll be doing the Biathlon with the thing......it's for strafing rats. If the first round goes a little wide, there's another waiting ready at hand.

Ammo tests on Tuesday to follow.

C1PNR
04-16-2006, 12:57 AM
I find it interesting that the really hot shooting Ruger 10/22s are typically nothing but a Ruger receiver with a whole bunch of aftermarket parts stuck on.[smilie=1:

When the rain finally stops here, I'm hoping to get a couple of rifles out for some exercise. The Remington 513 T now has a couple of magazines that feed properly, the box stock 10/22 needs to get calibrated for the Idaho altitude, and my "new to me" M17 Smith needs to take a walk, too.

Right now a guy needs a good set of real aggressive tires on the 4x4 to get more than 3 feet off the roadway out on the desert. I hear, though, that there are still a few whistle pigs that haven't drowned in their burrows and they are starting to come out looking for sunshine.:-?

Buckshot
04-16-2006, 08:43 AM
..............Al, well maybe Glen did shoot a 100-8x he was asking about one and maybe it was you who said a piece of the white line was missing? It was when we were walking back to the line. Like you I don't mind shooting what I did with bulk Dyna-Points and a $69 blister packed Bushnell 3-9 x 44 scope compared to his M75 Winchester and 22X Unertl.

But consider Larry's 99-something (3?)X with open sights. He was jazzed. I think he said he was going to have the target enlarged and then nail it up on his garage door.

http://www.fototime.com/F50698BFD63638B/standard.jpg

This is the ammo. All in 24ga CBC (Mag-Tech) shotgun hulls. The slugs were Lee Target Minie's swaged into Pritchit type Minie' bullets.

Re: that 10-22. I think I mentioned I had one. Shot like the Mini-14 so I sold it to Kenny. About 3 weeks later it had a heavy Midway barrel and eventually a synthetic stock. Like C1PNR said, most end up with nothing Ruger except the action and then it shoots. It may be the stock or bedding or bbl band. It's something as I think Ruger flat stole the Marlin M60 action but forgot the accuracy of that rifle. Ron's M60 would shoot rings around my Ruger 10-22.

................Buckshot

buck1
04-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Allen, congratulations on the possible with Federal "Bulk Match." Target accuracy, long range killing power, and right price. BTW, if your favorite ammo store is out of Federal bulk, DO NOT BUY THE REMINGTON BULK, characterized (in one shooter's experience) by mediocre accuracy and frequent misfires.

I have found the Remingtons to be the best and the worst!
The plastic tubs are CR@P!
But the Remington ""golden bullet"" bulk in the 500 RND box work well for me ( as long as I resize them with Paco Kellys tool first. I have had a few misfires, but my groups are real good and the new big HP I add kills them rabbits REAL dead!!

I cant make the bulk Federals shoot , but I gave up on them fast , I may have not found the right ones yet..............Buck

Bucks Owin
04-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Like others--I'm not convinced that spending long dollars on after-market add-ons for the 10/22 is the best route to accuracy. It's not like I'll be doing the Biathlon with the thing......it's for strafing rats. If the first round goes a little wide, there's another waiting ready at hand.

Ammo tests on Tuesday to follow.

All it took for my carbine to shoot -1" groups @ 50 yds was a bedding job of the reciever and a free float of the stock barrel and barrel band...(with a small support pad right in front of the reciever) Load up with Wolf Match/Target ammo and enjoy!

(A few bucks spent on a Volquartsen hammer (from their bargain bin!) will help the lousy factory trigger a lot.....)

Dennis :Fire:

(who then proceeded to throw handfuls of money at his 10/22 in aftermarket barrel, stock, trigger innards, 12X scope etc for a "slight" increase in accuracy....)