PDA

View Full Version : 224/72 NEI Mould Lesson Learned

Jeffreytooker
04-14-2006, 11:00 PM
I was doing some CB stuff in my shop today. I have an NEI 224/72 mould (aluminum). I have tried for some time (over 2 yr) to get it to cast over .218 on the nose. I have been using Lino/dipper/and my normal casting temp for 30 cal bullets. No joy. I had been casting some Egan 55 gr (brass mould) bullets with my new Lee bottom pour pot (10lb). They were doing well with WW. I decided to try the NEI with WW. It did not work well. So I started tinkering. I set my mould on a hotplate when not in hand, I maxed the pot temp. Between all of the above I gained over half a thou. The nose engraves and the bands are about .2253”. I now have a bullet to fit my Savage .223.

Jeffrey

Buckshot
04-15-2006, 07:48 AM
.................Ah, sweet success! Those who persevere, perspire and that's 80% of success:veryconfu. Or something. You get the idea:groner:

....................Buckshot

Bass Ackward
04-15-2006, 09:31 AM
The nose engraves and the bands are about .2253”. I now have a bullet to fit my Savage .223.

Jeffrey

Jeff,

I know how long you have been waiting / working on this project. Hope you have better success than Joe did.

My 223 is about to get crankin. But I am going to limit myself to 60 grains. Maybe even 55. Because with this tight throat, 55 grains is about all I can go without going bore ride. This should be easier on the bullets base and give it a higher overall velocity potential anyway which is what I am ultimately after.

Jeffreytooker
04-15-2006, 10:37 AM
Jeff,
But I am going to limit myself to 60 grains. Maybe even 55. Because with this tight throat, 55 grains is about all I can go without going bore ride. This should be easier on the bullets base and give it a higher overall velocity potential anyway which is what I am ultimately after.

This whole project with the .223 started as a CBA Match Rifle. That means 200 yds. The bullet has to have a BC as high as the 30 cal match rifles to hold out to 200 yds. The Savage is 9 twist, so it will carry the .224/72. It is a bore rider, which I do not like. It is at present the best available. I would like to have a .224 bullet in an Egan MX/ARD configuration. There is not one yet. There is one in 6 MM. The .223 case is way too big for the bore for Boolits. I may go to 6 MM. First I want to get this boolit to shoot.

I am going to cast a few of the 224/72 boolits today. If I can get them to come out in spec that will be my project for today.

Jeffrey