PDA

View Full Version : .38 Special wadcutters -- want to move into +P loads

ghh3rd
09-13-2009, 11:57 PM
I have been casting and loading 148gr .38 Special wadcutters, and using 2.7gr of Bullseye. My gun is rated for +P, and I'd like to try some loads in the lower +P range to see if it helps reduce the leading that I've experienced.

I was surprised to find that my Lee 2nd Edition Modern Reloading book only lists v-N350, v-N340, v-N330 and v-N320 powders for a +P load for this boolit.

Is there a reason that one cannot increase the amount of Bullseye to accomplish a +P load? If not, can someone suggest a 'better' book that might provide more powder choices for .38 Special 148gr +P loads?

Thanks

Randy

DJ303
09-14-2009, 08:03 AM
I had the same problem when sized to .358. Sized to .359 & the leading went away.

Bret4207
09-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Well, first off go to the powder manufacturers websites and get some ideas on loads. I'm not much of a fan of Mr. Lee's books and I'd also suggest obtaining the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Reloading book and the Cast Bullet Manuals (all 3 is you can!). You'll get a lot more info if you have multiple sources to research. I don't see any loads above 3.9 gr BE in the one manual I have handy (NRA Handloading) but there is sure to be more up to date info available. Usually you'd move to something like Unique with heavier loads. 4.5-5.5 gr Unique will get you into the warmer loads, but again- get some up to date info.

If you have leading then you have a fit issue. Boosting the load and depending on obturation to fix it is a make do approach that doesn't always work. I don't know your alloy, but usually anything of WW hardness or harder needs a pretty good bump to obturate it. Even then if your throats are undersize or the boolit is udersized or being sized undersize you have a problem. IMO it's better to do some measuring and see where the problem is rather than hope a kick in the pants will fit the boolit for you. If you don;t want to go through slugging your gun the easy way to figure size is to measure a case mouth fired with a full power load. The ID of the case mouth is as big as you can go. Start there and see what happens.

Shiloh
09-14-2009, 10:14 AM
I have the 1st edition LEE book. There are limited powders. Try the Lyman Cast Boolit Reloading books. You can go to the loads suggested by manufacturers at there respective websites. Alliant has good info but nothing that yu are looking for. There are some loads for 158 gr LSWC thst may be of interest.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gtypeid=1

SHiloh

Shiloh

fecmech
09-14-2009, 10:52 AM
The Lyman cast bullet manual lists max standard pressure loadings for 3 different wadcutters in the 140-148 gr range from 3.8-4.4 grs of BE for 900+ fps. I don't think going to +p is going to make leading go away. As a previous poster said size may be more of an issue here.

Rocky Raab
09-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Yup. Bassackwards approach, if you ask me. Kinda like going faster to improve your gas mileage. Better to inflate your tires and go slower. (Not a bad analogy, actually!)

Then too, wadcutters aren't known for their accuracy when pushed much above 800 fps, and they go entirely wild past about 50 yards anyway.

Pepe Ray
09-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Another aspect of the scarcity of data for +P -WC loads is caused by the casual inclusion of HOLLOW BASED wadcutters.
Altho I've never gone there, many have warned of high pressure loads when using the HBWC. Problems seemed to arise when the skirt obdurated and allowed the nose to blow out.
Solids, of course, offered no such problem.
Pepe Ray

Rocky Raab
09-14-2009, 04:44 PM
pssst... obturate Pepe - unless the skirts became stubborn, LOL!

Leftoverdj
09-14-2009, 05:13 PM
You can increase your load by as much as a full grain without getting in +P pressures.

Leftoverdj
09-14-2009, 05:14 PM
pssst... obturate Pepe - unless the skirts became stubborn, LOL!

Skirts are always stubborn. That's why I am single.

MT Gianni
09-14-2009, 08:15 PM
I would let my groups decide when I needed to increase powder. If this load is grouping well for you it is a fit issue as 2.7 gr Bullseye has been the bottom accuracy load for years. 3 gr is good also but I would not ignore fit to fix the leading.

anachronism
09-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Yup. Bassackwards approach, if you ask me. Kinda like going faster to improve your gas mileage. Better to inflate your tires and go slower. (Not a bad analogy, actually!)

Rocky! That was profound!