PDA

View Full Version : Basic Noob question, hunting boolit

goste
09-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Hello , I realize this should go in the hunting section, but most people seem to stop off here first.

I have harvested 30+ whitetails, with a .243. I want to hunt with a cast boolit this year, and have a few questions. first, my set up...

Sporterized 03a3 4 groove 19" barrel.
Deer stand about 135 yrds, from feeder
Smaller central TX whitetail, large doe maybe 145 LBs......

Looking to buy a Lee mould in the 180/200grain size, will also try to paper patch same boolit, for a couple enfields, no.1 mk3, and no.4 mk 1

Have lots of ww, lot's of pure. and lot's of range scrap, that I call ww lite.

At this range, with this cal., I know I don't need a hard boolit, but can someone advise me, on a mixture that would work? Also, do I need a hollow point for expansion? or will a softer boolit work as well? These will also be shot thru my BIL's remmy 700, as we hunt the same place

Thanks in advance

Caspar..

P.S. also LOTS of hogs, would like boolit that would work with a small roastin size pig.,(40 to 80 pounds)..

clodhopper
09-13-2009, 09:23 PM
I would buy a flat point mould.
Not worry about a hollow point.
Mix WW and range scrap about 50/50.
Then zero the sights for your load at 135 yards.
Put it where it counts in the heart lung area.
I hope BIL is dragging for ya.

Shiloh
09-13-2009, 09:47 PM
I started mixing 50/50 for rifle boolits. The ones I found in the berm were bent up and flattened nicely. Can't say it'll perform that way on a whitetail, but others have said 50/50 is adequate for hunting. Let us know.

I've really started leaning to softer boolits for the velocities I run. Less than 1800 for gaschecked .30's and less than 900 for pistol. Most pistol is 840 or less.

Shiloh

Shiloh