PDA

View Full Version : any good goose dishes?

waco
09-13-2009, 04:09 PM
i just shot my first two big western geese!
i breasted them out.
any good recipes you would like to share?
thanks
waco

Rusty Parker
09-13-2009, 09:34 PM
the all time goose favorite--goose with cherries, slow cooked in Dutch oven or all day in crock pot:

2-3 pounds goose breast
1 can 16 ounce pitted dark sweet cherries
1 tbs butter or margarine
1 tbs veg oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 tbs all-purpose flour
1/2 cup water
2 tbs cream sherry
1 tbs packed brown sugar
1 tsp instant beef bouillon granules
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbs cold water, optional
1-2 tbs cornstarch, optional

Clean goose breasts. Drain cherries, reserve 1/2 cup cherry juice and set aside. Melt butter with oil in saucepan or dutch oven, add onion, add goose and brown lightly. Remove goose breasts. Stir flour into onion mixture. Stir in reserved cherry juice, 1/2 cup water, sherry, brown sugar, bouillon, granules, cinnamon, and salt. Add goose pieces and cherries. Transfer to crockpot OR heat to boiling in dutch oven. Reduce heat and cook 6-7 hours (crock pot) or 1.5 to 2 hours (dutch oven). Transfer goose to serving platter and keep warm. Skim sauce; if sauce needs thickening blend cornstarch with water, stir into sauce and cook over medium heat until thickened. Serve sauce over goose pieces. Good with egg noodles.

waco
09-14-2009, 06:56 PM
thanks rusty!
ill try it!
waco

Rusty Parker
09-15-2009, 08:43 PM
no problem. if you've got a smoker, try THIS recipe at http://senecawildharvest.blogspot.com/2009/03/smoked-goose-breast.html We just did this one last week, it was awesome. Serve the smoked goose with horseradish sauce on crackers or baguette slices. umm umm good.

Asian flavored brine

3 cups cold water
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup sherry
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup salt
1 small boiling onion, quartered (1/4 cup chopped onion)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T. fresh ginger root, coarsely chopped
1 t. red pepper flakes
breast halves from 2 geese

Mix all ingredients in a glass or plastic container (not metal) and soak the goose breast for at least 4 hours or overnight. Make sure the meat is completely submerged in the brine and keep it in the refrigerator. Remove meat from brine and place on a lightly oiled rack and allow to air dry until the surface of the meat has a slight glaze (pellicle). This helps preserve the meat and also creates a nice appearance. Smoke the goose according to the smoker you have.

scrapcan
09-16-2009, 03:25 PM
And if all else fails you can slice the second one and make jerky out of it. Goose jerky is pretty good.

45-70bpcr
09-16-2009, 03:27 PM
I just started hunting geese last year and am kicking myself for waiting my first 48 years to try. Lots of fun. Always heard all the stories that they were not worth eating etc. After bagging a few I looked up a simple recipe to try.

My wife browns the breast halves well in a good hot skillet with a little oil and onions before work in the morning.
From there into the crock pot covered with a couple cans of chicken stock on low.
When she gets home she shreds the meat up like it was pulled pork, puts a little bbq sauce on it and we eat it like crazy.

Simple and really good eating.

krag35
09-16-2009, 09:26 PM
I'll second the Goose Jerkey, awsome stuff.

09-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Depends on how tender the dish is :mrgreen:

Duck or goose. Soak in vinegar for couple of hours to overnight. Rinse. Soak in mild salt brine for a couple of hours. Add touch of favorite seasoning (s). Smoke til done. So I'll second the idea of smoking waterfowl.

09-20-2009, 01:22 AM
Goose jerky is wonderful. Here's one of the family favorites:

Queen Victoria soup (a favorite of hers)

Brine the fowl breast for 1/2 hour. Slice into thin strips to check for shot. (One little steel or likewise shot can send you right off to the dentist hateing life.) Put the meat into a pot with;
1 chopped onion
3+ cups of chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon of dry parsley (or 1/4 cup fresh parsley)

Cover & simmer on the lowest setting for an hour.

Pull all the meat, dice very fine, and return to the pot with;
1 cup of FINE, unseasoned bread crumbs (they come in a can from the store)
2 finely chopped hard boiled egg yokes
2 cups of HEAVY CREAM

Heat gently and serve. Great for Thanksgiving along side turkey, ham, steak, etc. Outstanding by itself for dinner.

09-20-2009, 01:22 AM
Goose jerky is wonderful. Here's one of the family favorites:

Queen Victoria soup (a favorite of hers)

Brine the fowl breast for 1/2 hour. Slice into thin strips to check for shot. (One little steel or likewise shot can send you right off to the dentist hateing life.) Put the meat into a pot with;
1 chopped onion
3+ cups of chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon of dry parsley (or 1/4 cup fresh parsley)

Cover & simmer on the lowest setting for an hour.

Pull all the meat, dice very fine, and return to the pot with;
1 cup of FINE, unseasoned bread crumbs (they come in a can from the store)
2 finely chopped hard boiled egg yokes
2 cups of HEAVY CREAM

Heat gently and serve. Great for Thanksgiving along side turkey, ham, steak, etc. Outstanding by itself for dinner.

09-20-2009, 01:26 AM
Hey, I like Queen Victoria soup, and all, but I didn't post it twice. The computer just did something freaky.