PDA

View Full Version : Range cost's

cbrick
09-13-2009, 11:48 AM
For those that either have no choice or choose to shoot at a public shooting range with regular fee's, what do these ranges charge? Hourly, daily, membership fee's?

What types of and how many different ranges do they offer?

Curious, my local range (about 35 minutes from home) is a 100 acre public shooting facility with several different ranges including private ranges available for rent by the day, week etc (for instructors, police etc). It has a 200 ft covered rifle range with targets to 300y, 200 ft covered handgun range with targets to 50y. Sporting clays, trap, a handgun silhouette 200m designated 10 bank range. A reloading retail store fairly well stocked in most reloading tools and supplies. (primers and powders a bit scarce lately).

The basic shooting rate at the rifle and handgun range is $12.00 per day. There are discounts for seniors, NRA memberships, annual range memberships, ladies night etc.

So what does your range charge and what types of facilities does it have? What state is it located in? How much of a drive is it?

Rick

jim4065
09-13-2009, 11:58 AM
My closest range is run by AR Game & Fish. The fee is 3.00 per day - plus extra for clay pigeons, spotting scope (1.00) etc. It has a 200 yd rifle range, 25 yd pistol range, and a skeet & trap range. It's about 12 miles one way.

mooman76
09-13-2009, 12:12 PM
I shoot in the desert. The only charge is for the price of gas. They just opened a new public range about 5-7 miles from my house. I don't know what they charge for sure as I have not gone yet but plan on taking a look see some day. They were going to charge $25 a year and like $30 for a family membership but that was when they were first planning it like 5 years ago. No idea if they charge each visit or not. When all phases are comple it is suppose to be the biggest public range in the country with every type of shooting you can think of.

PatMarlin
09-13-2009, 12:19 PM
If you are a regular member at a range, why not ask them if you can go out to the backstop and recover some of your lead from time to time?

Recycling is the key to our hobby.

canebreaker
09-13-2009, 12:37 PM
The drive is just under 11 miles from the house. A walmart is located about half way. The prices there are cheaper than the one north of us.
The Stone river gun range, sponsored by the TWRA, charges 5.50 for 2 hours, sometimes you get a bit more. Annual fee is 110. for adults and 65. for minors, under 16.
All firing lines are covered and a rear wall, with lights and fans. 30 pistol lines, target frames can be moved from 5, 10, 15 yards and 50 feet. 17 rifle lines, frames can be moved from 15, 25, 50 and 100 yards. 1 line for 50 and 100 yards, 2 lines set at 200 yards. Large pistols, 44 mag and larger are allowed on rifle range. A 2nd line is for overflow of rifle line. 5, 10, 15, 25, 50 yards. But used mostly for clubs, police and education. Hunter education and carry permit classes are taught there. Shooting is controled by range safety officers. 10 to 20 minutes for shooting, then cold line is called. Officers inspect guns while shooter are out of firing line. Make sure all guns are open and no ammo is in the guns. They are then allowed to check/change targets and clear their area of brass. one officer goes down range and is the last to return. After the officer returns from down range, the line is then called hot.
You have to annouce that you are keeping your brass. All brass collected is cleaned, counted and bagged for resale. Cases like alum., steel and 22s are stockpiled and sold as scrap.
Ammo and other reloading conponents are not for sale at range.

Rocky Raab
09-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Mine is 34 miles round-trip. Sixteen concrete benches (uncovered), berms at 100, 200 and 300 yards. One porta-potty. Volunteer range officers on duty sometimes but not often. $10 per shooter, per year. Range is open from March 1 to November 30, snow amounts permitting.

Forgot to add: that's just the nearest one. I have three or four more within 50 miles.

runfiverun
09-13-2009, 12:57 PM
we just have covered ranges and benches. a 22 range used for levergun silhouettes also the regular 50-300 yd covered with back and sides,the long range silhouette covered to 200 meters.
the 6 pistol bays with plates tipping racks etc in 2 of them and others that are open.
cost is 20 per year for members and donations for public, the members actually care no brass is left around,but there is a bucket for[never any in it] the members have frequent clean up days and we just generally take it upon ourselves to make repairs.
it's actually a nice place,as if you see a vehicle down there you recognize a shooting session frequently turns into an imprompto b.s. session as others just show up without even a rifle.

Bull Shoals
09-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Our range is available 7 days a week. We have 50 and 100 yd big bore / small bore covered w/benches, 2 trap and skeet fields, 4 pistol bays, a sporting clays and 5 stand. USPSA and IDPA matches are held also. A cowboy action range is under construction, although very slowly. All this for $70.00 /year. And it's only 15 minutes from my house.

SciFiJim
09-13-2009, 01:33 PM
I shoot at 5 Dogs (http://www.5dogsrange.com/index.htm) shooting range in the hills north of Bakersfield (about 45 miles each way). General membership is $175 per family. Any trips are free after that. Out of area guests are free as well. Local guests are $8 per day. Target stands for rifle ranges from 20 to 100 yards with silhouettes out to 550 yards. Pistol ranges from 15 to 50 yards. Sporting clays and 5 stand shooting for shotgun. Also has a cowboy town for the SASS crowd (fun to watch but haven't joined yet).

Dale53
09-13-2009, 02:14 PM
I helped build my local range 54 years ago. We have a $70.00 Initiation fee + $70.00 per year (1st year costs $140.00, $70.00 per year thereafter). We have 15 covered firing points at 25 & 50 yards with turning targets for pistol. We have 18 covered firing points at 50&100 yards for Rifle. We have seven concrete benchrests under roof, also. We have a single automatic trap (voice activated) and a sporting clays trap. We have a plinking range for 25 yards.

We have a fifty foot indoor range (lead bullets only) with nine firing points (nine individual booths). This is also used for archery.

We have a wonderful archery range with a long woods walk with 3D targets at various ranges and have a running deer range. We also have fixed distances and a wheelchair accessible permanent tree stand.

Our clubhouse is a converted Road House complete with a nice bar and kitchen facilities.

I have never seen a place like it anywhere. We are blessed. Nearly all of it was built with volunteer help.

Distance from my house? Six minutes! right on the edge of town complete on fifty acres that we have paid for (we have NO mortgage).

Now, it took a lot of work by a lot of good people. Rather early in the club's life, it was necessary for several of us to reach DEEP into our pockets to tide the club over for the next membership cycle with interest free loans. However, when I tell you I am proud of this facility, YOU CAN BELIEVE IT:

http://www.butlercountysportsmen.com/

Dale53

hoosierlogger
09-13-2009, 02:41 PM
My range is 3 miles from the house.
He charges $20 per calendar year.
7, 10, 15, 25 YD Pistol range
25, 50, 100, 200, 300 YD rifle ranges
5 pigeon throwers

Is is a self registration, self policing range. Surprisingly, there are very few "idiots" who are members there. Everyone I have talked to there is very polite in sharing the benches and ranges. Berm mining is a no no though. He supplies tools, stapler and staples, paper for targets, paint, ear and eye protection, basically the only thing you need to bring is a gun and ammo and pigeons if you want to shoot them.

HeavyMetal
09-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Shoot at Burro Canyon when I can make time. 50 miles round trip.

Not sure what the public range time costs. Membership was 200 a yr.

They have about 9 range's, 100 yards, that are pretty much dirt fields. Anything goes within reason but no steel core stuff during fire season.

Range rental is 20 per person 3 person minimum for the day. You are the range officer but the do make the rounds twice during the day to make sure we obey the rules which I can live with.

Usually take the crew from work and we make a day of it, clays, pistol and rifle.

Russel Nash
09-13-2009, 04:07 PM
I am a member of three ranges right now. I used to be a member of 4.

1. Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club south of St. Louis, MO. (http://www.arnoldgunclub.org/)

2. Caseyville Gun club (which currently doesn't have a website. This eminent domain BS case with the county has it so strapped for cash it probably couldn't afford a website right now anyway)

3. Town and Country Gun Club in Maryville, IL (http://tcgunclub.org/)

4. Pike Adams Sportsman's Alliance Park in Barry, IL (http://www.pasapark.com/)

Arnold Gun club is the closest place to me where I can actually draw from a holster and shoot and practice since I shoot steel challenge and USPSA competitions.

The first year there cost $250. If you work so many work days or work hours, they knock $100 of your membership renewal fee for the second year, then the third year...so on and so forth.

I am a member there because the rules are currently set up that if you shoot more than 3 matches out there, ever, in your lifetime, then you have to join the club before your 4th match. They have two steel plate matches a month there, and the match entry fee is just a dollar. Then they have a USPSA match. The fee for that is only $5. So if you were to average out the cost of the annual membership and then the cost of the matches, then it is actually cheaper than some other places I shoot at where the match fee is $10 or $15 for each match, plus all the gas money to get to those places and back. :sad:

They also have IDPA and CAS matches out there too.

Caseyville Gun Club is in a ton of legal trouble right now. Way back when, I paid $2,000 for a life membership there, that they are now re-negging on. :sad: But as I understand it now, to join for your first year is at least $250. Now, that is just for a membership to the club. To actually shoot out there, to have range privileges, it costs an extra $35 a month.

Town and country gun club is only $85 for the first year. The second year is $35. Even though they don't allow me to draw from a holster out there, the cool thing about that club is that they have a dealer's account with Graf's (of Mexico, MO), so they get everything at dealer cost. Once a week, a Graf's truck stops off there at the range/club to make a delivery. That $35 per year membership fee has more than paid for itself a few times over with all of the stuff I have ordered through Graf's. :smile:

PASA Park, I joined because it was only like $15 a year. I think Dick Metcalf originally owned all that land, so it is all paid for. I think the first match I shot out there, I paid the $15 dues fee, and I also got to shoot my first USPSA match out there for free or it was just like $5. I think to be able to shoot USPSA out there, you do have to be a member.

I let the PASA Park membership slide because it is like a 3 hour drive for me and a few buddies to carpool up there to their USPSA matches.

MT Gianni
09-13-2009, 04:11 PM
County Sportsman Assn has a range. 2 wooden home-made benches, 100, 200 & 300 yrd targets and you can drive to the 100 yrd range & shoot 25 yards if you wish. 2 1/2 miles from the house, dues are $10 a year no charge to shoot and membership is not required. I occasionally see other shooters beginning Labor Day til the opening of rifle season. I am generally the only shooter for the rest of the year when I am there. Occasionally in Sept you have to wait for a bench, in Oct you generally have to wait. 2 good ranges about 30-40 minutes away but I have only shot matches there not load development. They are membership ranges with an annual fee of $35-50$ as I recall with no fee to shoot. There are no range officers membership gets you a gate key or combo.
When I lived in Missoula I drove 20-30 minutes for our 2 ranges, paid $60 as a voting member and had 1/2 rebated for showing up at our work day. That equaled the cost of regular membership. One property had a "guard" collecting fees 5 days a week for the portion that was open to non-members as we had FWP funds to build it. Members had a sign in book. AIRC those fees were $3.00 a day, lots of people shot in the gravel pit 3 miles away rather than pay any fee. Membership got you the 100 yrd 50 & 25 yard ranges in one location with covered concrete benches. The other had 100 & 200 yrd ranges, 75-125 yrd muzzleloader range, 1000 yrd target and 100,200, 300 yard range, other than matches members were generally directed to where they were not shootin in the same area as other shooters.

dubber123
09-13-2009, 04:12 PM
$85/year. 550 yd. rifle range, 25 yd. pistol pit. Trap, 5 stand for the shotgunners. Berms for both field and regular silhouette. Steel plates at 200, 300, 400 and 500 meters. (Donated by someone who usesd to work at a fabrication shop).... ;)

BarryinIN
09-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I can shoot close range stuff in our woods, but to get much more than 15-20 yards, I have to go to a range. Handy for defensive pistol practice, though.

I joined a conservation club about 14 miles away. Five or six firing points, 100 yards, plus a stocked pond. For a full membership (range and pond access) it's $150 the first year and $100 each year after that.
About nine months out of the year, I am there at least weekly and often as much as three times a week. I get my money's worth.

I joined a very nice gun club in Alabama to shoot at when we visit the in-laws. It has 50 and 100 yd rifle ranges, and several pistol bays- some with steel plate racks, a shoothouse, etc. It's $150 each year.
That's a lot for a club 700 miles from home, but I have made good use of it on the in-law trips. It's hard to put a price on having a place to get away to when down there.

I used to belong to a club about an hour away, but I just couldn't get there much and had to quit. Nice place, but since they just moved there a few years ago, they have a mortgage to pay so membership is high at around $250 or more each year.

There is a range on state land about an hour south of here. It was open the public and free, but unfortunately that made it pretty junky and honestly, dangerous. But they rebuilt it a couple of years ago and changed almost everything about it. I have been there just one time, and while pretty nice, it's a bit restrictive and can get expensive.
They have a 100 yard rifle, 50 yd pistol, a few combo trap/skeet fields.
It's $7 the first hr and $5/hr thereafter. All day pass is $25. Annual pass is $240 for one person, $350 for two, and $500 for a family.

I haven't belonged, or been to, an indoor range in years so don't know what they are running here.

Bullfrog
09-13-2009, 08:52 PM
I shoot at a private range. Waiting list is 1-2 years. 150 dues a year and 1000 member cap. 200 yd 100 yd and multiple 50 yd ranges. Skeet and trap

76 WARLOCK
09-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Colorado Rifle Club, 2080 acres CAS range, 1000 yd rifle range, silouett, schutzen, small bore rifle, pistol and sporting clays.
$180 to join then $55 per year.

Frank46
09-13-2009, 11:04 PM
The Fusilier Complex near Arnauldville louisiana is my gun club. $200 to join and $100 for yearly renewal. Pistol range out to 50yds, big bore @ 100, 200 & 300 yds.
Also shotgun. However there is currently plans underway to construct a 1000yd range. Will hopefully bring in more members and $$$. And hopefully will have some 1000yd matches. This club used to be in Lafayette,LA. But the railroad that owned the property wanted someone with deep pockets in case the EPA ever found out about the dumps on the property. So they cancelled our lease and the club bought about 600 acres and has been doing upgrading slowely but surely ever since. What land we don't use is leased out to farmers for sugar cane and other crops. Good bunch of folks who just about all of us share common values and tend to keep an eye on the goings on. wouldn't want some candidate for the darwin award get hurt or worse. When we were in Lafayette the club would hold the "Crawfish Invitational" bench rest matches so if there are any stool shooters out there they will know what I mean. Frank

Frank46
09-13-2009, 11:09 PM
The Fusilier Complex near Arnauldville louisiana is my gun club. $200 to join and $100 for yearly renewal. Pistol range out to 50yds, big bore @ 100, 200 & 300 yds.
Also shotgun. However there is currently plans underway to construct a 1000yd range. Will hopefully bring in more members and $$$. And hopefully will have some 1000yd matches. This club used to be in Lafayette,LA. But the railroad that owned the property wanted someone with deep pockets in case the EPA ever found out about the dumps on the property. So they cancelled our lease and the club bought about 600 acres and has been doing upgrading slowely but surely ever since. What land we don't use is leased out to farmers for sugar cane and other crops. Good bunch of folks who just about all of us share common values and tend to keep an eye on the goings on. wouldn't want some candidate for the darwin award get hurt or worse. This club used to host the Crawfish Invitational" benchrest matches yearly.
Curerently this match is being held somewhere else. Time to bring it home. You stool shooters will know about the Crawfish matches. There is another private range in Eunice LA, which has 100,200,300 high power ranges, pistol to 50yds and a tower that is used for throwing clays. Don't know what the join fee or the renewal fees are. My buddy belongs to that one as well as mine and since you are allowed guests I sometimes shoot there. Couple of the well known
benchrest shooters like Marcy Lyons and Francis Broussard shoot at either range. We do have one indoor range "Barneys" who sell firearms and ammo and accessories. Frank

dk17hmr
09-14-2009, 12:05 AM
A few years ago in Michigan my dad got into a private 500 yard range, the dues are something like $75 a year with a 120 person limit, I think. I was at that range more than anyone else, shooting, picking lead, picking brass, and cleaning up after other people. It has backstops at 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500, with 2 18" steel gongs at 500 yards the only steel targets allowed on the range.

Here in Wyoming, you can drive 10 minutes out of town and shoot in about any direction that you want, which I have a hill I go to for plinkin with 22's and handguns, so do other people because I pick up brass there also. But just west of town about 15 miles from the house here is a pretty nice public range. There are 3 bays with covered benches, 2 are 200 yards and in and one is 500 yards and in. They target buts are moveable and there are steel pipes in the ground at at 50 yard intervals, one close 20-25 yards I guess. The 500 yard bay has 2 steel targets on "moveable" stands. they weigh about 100 pounds. Than there is one bay that is "off limits" its the police range its very nice automated targets and all, even free 40 and 45 brass laying on the ground, its free I asked the range officer, there is one there all the time. The range is free just have to sign in, they even have sandbags to borrow and earplugs if you forgot yours.

JIMinPHX
09-14-2009, 12:08 AM
My nearest range is Ben Avery. It recently went up from $5 to $7 per day. You shoot what you brought at that one. I think that the max range is 200 yards.

There are also private indoor ranges in town that charge by the hour & are much more expensive. They can also rent you a gun if you don't bring your own. Some will even rent machine guns, but they get pricey. Some friends of mine came to visit from NYC & got all caught up in the machine gun thing. They dumped about $600 in 2 hours.

Me - I usually shoot in the desert for free & collect my lead in a boolit trap so that I can use it over again. What can I say? I'm cheap.

Echo
09-14-2009, 01:17 AM
I volunteer, and shoot(for free) at a county range 8 miles from home. We have 30 covered firing points, 18 to 50 yards, 12 to 200 yards. The short range has target positions @ 10, 15, 25, and 50 yards. The 200 yard range also has target positions @ 100 yards. Pretty new range, in existence for about 5 years. Fees are $6 daily, and equipment (scopes, hearing protectors, chrony's) can be rented for nominal fees. The range is open Thursday-Sunday. The county is hard up for money - Janet Napolitano spent AZ into a bad place - so the range picks up ALL the spent brass and sells it to recyclers. Drat...
The biggest problem with our range is that it faces WEST! Makes late afternoon shooting problematic. Had to be laid out like that - if faced north, shots over the berm would impact on I-10, not a good thing.

JRW
09-14-2009, 01:49 AM
I too, are in Tucson, but generally go the westerly direction to shoot at Tucson Rifle Club, a public reange charging 6.00 a day. just 35 miles one way to the range. However, it has been there since at least the 70's and has rifle, handgun sillywette, BPCR, high power service rifle, midrange BP, and 1000 yd BR to name just a few. Also CAS, Tactical and several agencies using the range week days.

Shotguns I go to tucson trap and skeet, nice facilities, just don't shoot black powder from a 10 bore when their shooting trap, as them trap shooters ain't got no since of humor when them auto pullers release targets at the roar of 4 1/2 drams of the holy black off the skeet fields!

keep them centered!
Jim.

chevyiron420
09-14-2009, 04:34 AM
I used to shoot at southwind sporting clays before they closed for moving. They have a website but you will have to use a search. They were supposed to re open in july but aint made it yet. They had one range for pistol and rifle. They had a nice set up for pistol eventhough it wasnt covered, then back at 100 they had a covered two seater bench, and also at 200. The problem was you couldnt shoot rifles if there was a pistol shooter there, or the other way around. I have seen therenew construction and its going to be nice.
I think our family membership of three people max was 125.00 or 150.00, and the hourly rate was 10.00 per hour per shooter. I always thought this was very high but its the only place we have to go.

mtnman31
09-14-2009, 11:43 AM
My gun club is THE best. No doubt about it - the ammo is free and so is use of the guns, meals are even provided. The club has a variety of weapons of ALL calibers, including Class I stuff. The best part is that there are no membership fees (although there is a small initiation process) - heck, they pay me.

Go to your local recruiter for further details.:drinks:

Semper Fi

PatMarlin
09-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Will they take old guys? ..:mrgreen:

Matt_G
09-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Colorado Rifle Club, 2080 acres CAS range, 1000 yd rifle range, silouett, schutzen, small bore rifle, pistol and sporting clays.
$180 to join then $55 per year.

+1
Great range. Very nice pits on the 1000 yard range.
The 1000 yard line is covered.
Dedicated CAS range is in progress. Pistol range has turning targets at 25 yards for Bullseye shooting.
They also have a work bond requirement. One 8 hour day of work per year.
If you are out of state, unemployed or a full time student, you can ask for a waiver that year. They are real good about that.
If you just can't get out to do your work bond, you can also pay $100.00 in lieu of the work.
I usually just go out during a High Power match and work in the pits to fulfill my work bond.
CRC website is here (http://www.crci.org/).

AZ-Stew
09-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Jim,

I can't believe you left out so much regarding Ben Avery (http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ben_avery.shtml). Not ragging on you, but the second best shooting range in the entire Southwest (after the NRA Whittington Center (http://www.nrawc.org/), Raton, NM. Fabulous. I've seen it.) deserves a better write-up.

Ben Avery:

Closed Monday and Tuesday

$7/person all day. Under 18: Free.

67 position Public range (rifle/pistol)

Smallbore range

High Power range to 1,000 yards

Rifle Silhouette range to 500M

Benchrest range to 300 yards

2 Pistol ranges

Pistol Silhouette range

2700 range

FITA Archery range (100 yd Olympic)

Broadhead Crossbow range

7 Hunter-oriented Archery ranges

17 Trap and Skeet

2 Sporting Clays ranges

1 Wheel Chair Trap and Skeet range

Restrooms, Classrooms

SASS Winter Range is held here (great fun!).

Personally, I'm a member of Rio Salado (Spanish for Salt River) Sportsman's Club (http://www.riosaladosportsmans.com/), also associated with the Arizona Department of Game and Fish, but on the East side of town. It's about 25 minutes away, where Ben Avery is a bit over an hour away. Here's the scoop on Rio Salado.

Annual Membership Fees:
Individual -- $85.00
Family -- $95.00
New or Expired Member Administrative Fee -- $25.00

Main Range Fees
Daily range fee (Non-Members) - $7.00
Daily range fee (Members) - Free
Guests of Members Daily range fee - $5.00

Sporting Clays Range Fees Members Non-Members
Sporting Clays per Round $20.00 $30.00
5-Stand / Trap / Wobble Trap per Round $ 5.00 $ 7.00
Activation Card (optional)Members $15.00 $15.00

About 30 Covered shooting benches with target holders from 25 to 300 yards

A Practical Pistol range with 4 lighted bays from 25 to 50 yards

A lighted, covered 40-position Smallbore Range to 100 meters

Covered long range rifle and pistol silhouette ranges to 500 meters

Covered High power rifle range to 500 yards

Sporting Clays Range - 16 stations

5-Stand, Trap, Wobble Trap

Restrooms, Activity Center, and Training Classrooms

Archery across the road at the Usery Mtn. State Park.

There is also Phoenix Rod and Gun Club (http://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/), adjacent to South Mountain Park in South Phoenix. I'm not familiar with that range. I've been here for 25 years, but have never shot there.

herb101
09-20-2009, 11:25 AM
www.Bentongunclub.org in central Arkansas.100.00$ a year full NRA club , 100.00$ first time fee ,7 ranges from700 yards rife to sporting clays .

jim4065
09-20-2009, 12:41 PM
www.Bentongunclub.org in central Arkansas.100.00$ a year full NRA club , 100.00$ first time fee ,7 ranges from700 yards rife to sporting clays .

Holy Cow - that's within striking distance! Can you send a contact name and phone number? :D

EDIT: Never mind - found their web site. Also found a site called CASA. Amazing thing, this internet..........