PDA

View Full Version : JPW + Paraffin based lube for lubra-sizer ????

turbo1889
09-13-2009, 01:35 AM
Okay, so far I've been pretty much a tumble lube guy and 3 parts JPW to 1 part LLA and tumble has pretty much been the name of the game for me for the last few years with the occasional pan-lubing session where previously I took some of my "Bore Butter" muzzle-loader lube and thickened with a little candle wax and called it good.

Well - I just had an old RCBS lubra-sizer given to me and I am now entering that world and all that goes with it. I got like four tubes of 50/50 (assuming alox/bee-wax but the label doesn't say for sure) that came with it and then when that's used up I'm squat out of lube. Now I also got a whole bunch of boxes of paraffin wax with the unit (apparently they were originally intended for sealing jars of jam and such if one reads the labels). Now since I've been using JPW as my main tumble lube ingredient and have historically (not so much now with the primer shortage) cast, tumble-lubed, and shot thousands upon thousands of handgun bullets, mainly 45-ACP, from Lee six-banger tumble lube molds I have lots and lots of cans of JPW.

So long story short will JPW + Paraffin as the two main (or only) ingredients make a decent lube to use in a lubra-sizer????? Anyone do this before, have proportion suggestions, or general advice towards this end. I'd prefer to use what I have and not go out and buy a bunch more stuff.

Oh, yah, also no heater came with this unit but I do have a plug-in magnetic heater designed to be used on car-engine oil pans for easier starting in the winter. I think it is like 500-watts or so. Figure If I need heat I'll just magnet that to the side of the lubra-sizer.

geargnasher
09-13-2009, 01:48 AM
What are you going to use the lubrasizer for? I'm assuming you shoot other calibers. No point in using it on your tumble-lube .45 acp boolits.

Try pan lubing or hand applying a small batch mixed as you propose first, let us know how it does. JPW is mostly paraffin wax anyway, so you might just try cooking all the solvents out of it and see how the carnauba/paraffin mix does without the canning wax. If still too soft, try adding the canning wax, I can't remember offhand if canning wax is microcrystalline or not, but it may be a good hardener. Just get all the solvent out and have a stable mix before trying to apply or load it.

Remember also that paraffin wax has a few limitations, mainly velocity.

Gear

turbo1889
09-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Q - What are you going to use the lubra-sizer for?
A - The stuff I previously pan-lubed and all the stuff that's intended to be used with a lubra-sizer but I've been tumble lubing anyway. It's mainly pistol/carbine bullets as well as a few large-caliber/medium-velocity rifle loads. Anything high velocity I use ( . . . this portion of post deleted by original poster . . .).

Statement(S) - Just remember that paraffin wax has a few limitations, mainly velocity.
Response(R) - Understood, I'm looking at below 2-K fps for sure here anything close to that or higher is a whole different ( . . . this portion of post deleted by original poster . . .).

Reason for edit:

I am in process of deleting everything I have ever posted about casting with zinc because I have decided I will not share any of the knowledge I have learned over the years about casting with zinc due to the bloodthirsty prejudiced posts of some members on this forum viciously attacking those who cast with zinc. I will not share my knowledge with the enemy.

runfiverun
09-13-2009, 02:32 AM
paraffin is just a by-product from oil it is not micro-crystaline wax it does mix with b-wax but is used mainly as a hardening agent.
the jpw when cooked off in a wave goes dang hard.
now your commercial waxes are micro wax and i doubt much more as a lube.
i can see you want an easy recipe the easiest i can suggest is to go down the page
to lar45's ls's stuff and just order some lube,he has reasonable prices about as cheap as making your own stuff and it is good stuff.
i make my own lube but have a lot of his on hand too.

high standard 40
09-13-2009, 08:33 AM
JPW is mostly solvents similar to mineral spirits. Once these solvents are cooked out or evaporate, you are left with paraffin and a very small amount of carnauba.
So JPW mixed with paraffin would make a very hard lube and would not be very suitable for a lube/sizer. If you would like to mix your own lube, check the sticky notes for better options.

markinalpine
09-13-2009, 11:58 AM
According to the S C Johnson MSDS for Johnson Paste Wax, it contains 75-85% Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon Solvent, 10-30% Paraffinic Wax, and 5-10% Carnauba Wax.

They aren't required to reveal their exact formula for obvious reasons.

Mark :coffeecom

GP100man
09-15-2009, 12:08 AM
how `bout bwax & jpw ???noo wait i have to much carnauba red on hand , never mind!!